dryer vent cleaning

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage
Default dryer vent cleaning

I've scrolled through several threads trying to find recommendations for a company or handyman who will come and clean out our dryer vent. Can anyone here help? Also would like to know a price range and contact info as well. I checked my NextDoor as well as the phone book and only came up with Jonathan's in Wildwood. If anyone has had them would you recommend them??
Old 11-20-2020, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Desmond Harris, 352-308-7457, if he is still in business. It should cost less than $100.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Desmond Harris, 352-308-7457, if he is still in business. It should cost less than $100.
Yes, an employee of Desmond's cleaned our dryer vent last part of September, and for less than $100.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:06 PM
Default vent cleaning

Desmond Harris has done our dryer vent for the last 5 years. They will also replace smoke detector batteries as long as you have a new package of batteries to give them to use. This summer, they cleaned all of our AC vents.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

Desmond cleaned my dryer vent and replaced all the smoke alarm batteries as well as the batteries in the garage remote keypad and irrigation controller. Total cost was $60.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
Desmond cleaned my dryer vent and replaced all the smoke alarm batteries as well as the batteries in the garage remote keypad and irrigation controller. Total cost was $60.
Covenant - Desmond Harris just cleaned our dryer vent for $60. Tech was Jason.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:35 PM

Harris never returned my phone call. Used Docs Restoration...great job...about $78 with Coupon from their web site.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 AM

Call Jonathan at 352-568-5629
He’s the nicest young man and very good!
Old 11-21-2020, 05:53 AM

We used "Complete Dryer Vent Services,LLC. He is insured & CSIA Certified. Which means he is a Certified Chimney Sweep. Not that we have chimneys, But, he was the best person we used since we lived here the past 9 years. He was here for over an hour, pulled out the dryer blew it out from the bottom up & then went up to the roof & cleaned out the vent up there. He took pictures of all that he did & gave us the pictures. We both were amazed at the build up as we both are diligent in cleaning our dryer after each use. Which mean the other people didn't do a thorough job! The cost was well worth it @ $123. $23 was for the new hose. He also installs a new dryer exhaust hose that doesn't kink. #352-653-0809. We recommended him to our friends & everyone said WOW he was good Ya get what pay for & this is a safety factor so you don't get build up in the vent/hose/roof vent. Next year it will only be $100.

Last edited by prendymom; 11-21-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:14 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Yes I used Desmond Harris a year ago. Very efficient and he charged $60. His number is listed in another reply below.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:50 AM

Call "all about appliances". Cost $80. Does good work
Old 11-21-2020, 07:02 AM
Default Desmond Harris, 352-308-7457. Have used him for years. Very happy with him

Desmond Harris, 352-308-7457. Have used him for years. Very happy with him
Old 11-21-2020, 07:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've scrolled through several threads trying to find recommendations for a company or handyman who will come and clean out our dryer vent. Can anyone here help? Also would like to know a price range and contact info as well. I checked my NextDoor as well as the phone book and only came up with Jonathan's in Wildwood. If anyone has had them would you recommend them??
I don’t know about your house, but in my house, the dryer vent pipe is metal and goes straight up the wall, through the attic, and onto the roof. It’s difficult for lint to catch on it, unlike a long, flexible plastic dryer hose that snakes through an attic and comes out of a wall twenty feet away. I empty the lint trap after every dryer load. I assume that you do, too.

Have you noticed that it is taking longer for your clothes to dry than it used to, or that they used to get dry at one setting, but now they don’t? Probably not.

If you have a metal vent pipe with a clear run, if you clean your link trap faithfully, and if your dryer is working normally, you really don’t need your dryer vent pipe cleaned, especially if you don’t use the hot setting on your dryer (I never do—it’s hard on the clothes). How is it going to catch on fire if the maximum air temperature is nowhere near the temperature needed for combustion? Companies are happy to clean the pipe for you, but you are wasting your money. Dryer lint traps these days tend to be very effective.

As for cleaning your heating and air conditioning pipes, that is also really unnecessary so long as you replace the air filter a couple times a year, especially if it’s a high quality filter. The filter catches nearly everything. If your HVAC system is like mine, here is what you have. There is a big return air grille in your living room near the garage. That sucks air down a big rectangular foil-covered fiberglass board duct about eight feet to the air filter, where almost any dust is filtered out. You would need several inches of dust on those duct walls to impede the air flow, and that is not going to happen.

After being filtered, the dust-free air is sent by fan back up a similar fiberglass board duct into the attic, where it is distributed into several round flexible pipes with wire springs inside to keep them from collapsing. These have plastic walls on both the inside and the outside and an inch of fiberglass in between the layers of plastic. Even if there WERE dust in that air, it isn’t going to easily stick to the plastic.

Thus, having your HVAC system pipes cleaned is really money down the drain. The companies will happily take your money, but it is a triumph of advertising over necessity. There is also some danger that vacuuming out the rectangular fiberglass board pipes can loosen fiberglass on the walls of that pipe and allow it to float through the ducts and into the air and then into your lungs. (This fiberglass board is made from a mixture of fiberglass and glue with thin foil on the outside. The inside is bare fiberglass. Rubbing it can break off pieces of this glass fiber. Your attic is filled with these glass fibers, and this fiberglass dust is quite unhealthy.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Default Dryer vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I have wanted to eliminate my “through the roof” dryer vert ever since we bought our house 8 years ago! Guess what, I found Kiley & Son Plumbing will do it. In my case had to pass tgrough a cabinet to the garage and then exit the outside wall. Dryer works so much better, easier to clean and only about 10 ft long end to end. Can use my iown brush and do it as often as I want since it is at floor level. No more fear of attic fire! Most cost was labor and aluminum pipe! Call Kiley! I did and am very happy with my Corpus Christi results. My dryer sighed in relief - no more pushing air 30 feet thru the wall, attic and roof!
Old 11-21-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
He is the man. Very dependable and ethical and more like fifty bucks. He may not be entering homes now. I don't know.

Tags
dryer, vent, scrolled, checked, nextdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.