dryer vent cleaning

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
He is the man. Very dependable and ethical and more like fifty bucks. He may not be entering homes now. I don't know.
Just had ours done by Covenant last week. $60
Old 11-21-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I don’t know about your house, but in my house, the dryer vent pipe is metal and goes straight up the wall, through the attic, and onto the roof. It’s difficult for lint to catch on it, unlike a long, flexible plastic dryer hose that snakes through an attic and comes out of a wall twenty feet away. I empty the lint trap after every dryer load. I assume that you do, too.

Have you noticed that it is taking longer for your clothes to dry than it used to, or that they used to get dry at one setting, but now they don’t? Probably not.

If you have a metal vent pipe with a clear run, if you clean your link trap faithfully, and if your dryer is working normally, you really don’t need your dryer vent pipe cleaned, especially if you don’t use the hot setting on your dryer (I never do—it’s hard on the clothes). How is it going to catch on fire if the maximum air temperature is nowhere near the temperature needed for combustion? Companies are happy to clean the pipe for you, but you are wasting your money. Dryer lint traps these days tend to be very effective.

As for cleaning your heating and air conditioning pipes, that is also really unnecessary so long as you replace the air filter a couple times a year, especially if it’s a high quality filter. The filter catches nearly everything. If your HVAC system is like mine, here is what you have. There is a big return air grille in your living room near the garage. That sucks air down a big rectangular foil-covered fiberglass board duct about eight feet to the air filter, where almost any dust is filtered out. You would need several inches of dust on those duct walls to impede the air flow, and that is not going to happen.

After being filtered, the dust-free air is sent by fan back up a similar fiberglass board duct into the attic, where it is distributed into several round flexible pipes with wire springs inside to keep them from collapsing. These have plastic walls on both the inside and the outside and an inch of fiberglass in between the layers of plastic. Even if there WERE dust in that air, it isn’t going to easily stick to the plastic.

Thus, having your HVAC system pipes cleaned is really money down the drain. The companies will happily take your money, but it is a triumph of advertising over necessity. There is also some danger that vacuuming out the rectangular fiberglass board pipes can loosen fiberglass on the walls of that pipe and allow it to float through the ducts and into the air and then into your lungs. (This fiberglass board is made from a mixture of fiberglass and glue with thin foil on the outside. The inside is bare fiberglass. Rubbing it can break off pieces of this glass fiber. Your attic is filled with these glass fibers, and this fiberglass dust is quite unhealthy.
Bad advice reference dryer vent cleaning.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prendymom View Post
We used "Complete Dryer Vent Services,LLC. He is insured & CSIA Certified. Which means he is a Certified Chimney Sweep. Not that we have chimneys, But, he was the best person we used since we lived here the past 9 years. He was here for over an hour, pulled out the dryer blew it out from the bottom up & then went up to the roof & cleaned out the vent up there. He took pictures of all that he did & gave us the pictures. We both were amazed at the build up as we both are diligent in cleaning our dryer after each use. Which mean the other people didn't do a thorough job! The cost was well worth it @ $123. $23 was for the new hose. He also installs a new dryer exhaust hose that doesn't kink. #352-653-0809. We recommended him to our friends & everyone said WOW he was good Ya get what pay for & this is a safety factor so you don't get build up in the vent/hose/roof vent. Next year it will only be $100.
DITTO to Gus from Complete Dryer Vent Services!
Old 11-21-2020, 07:46 AM

Desmond Harris is excellent, reliable, thorough and reasonable (352) 308-9243
Old 11-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I don’t know about your house, but in my house, the dryer vent pipe is metal and goes straight up the wall, through the attic, and onto the roof. It’s difficult for lint to catch on it, unlike a long, flexible plastic dryer hose that snakes through an attic and comes out of a wall twenty feet away. I empty the lint trap after every dryer load. I assume that you do, too.

Have you noticed that it is taking longer for your clothes to dry than it used to, or that they used to get dry at one setting, but now they don’t? Probably not.

If you have a metal vent pipe with a clear run, if you clean your link trap faithfully, and if your dryer is working normally, you really don’t need your dryer vent pipe cleaned, especially if you don’t use the hot setting on your dryer (I never do—it’s hard on the clothes). How is it going to catch on fire if the maximum air temperature is nowhere near the temperature needed for combustion? Companies are happy to clean the pipe for you, but you are wasting your money. Dryer lint traps these days tend to be very effective.

As for cleaning your heating and air conditioning pipes, that is also really unnecessary so long as you replace the air filter a couple times a year, especially if it’s a high quality filter. The filter catches nearly everything. If your HVAC system is like mine, here is what you have. There is a big return air grille in your living room near the garage. That sucks air down a big rectangular foil-covered fiberglass board duct about eight feet to the air filter, where almost any dust is filtered out. You would need several inches of dust on those duct walls to impede the air flow, and that is not going to happen.

After being filtered, the dust-free air is sent by fan back up a similar fiberglass board duct into the attic, where it is distributed into several round flexible pipes with wire springs inside to keep them from collapsing. These have plastic walls on both the inside and the outside and an inch of fiberglass in between the layers of plastic. Even if there WERE dust in that air, it isn’t going to easily stick to the plastic.

Thus, having your HVAC system pipes cleaned is really money down the drain. The companies will happily take your money, but it is a triumph of advertising over necessity. There is also some danger that vacuuming out the rectangular fiberglass board pipes can loosen fiberglass on the walls of that pipe and allow it to float through the ducts and into the air and then into your lungs. (This fiberglass board is made from a mixture of fiberglass and glue with thin foil on the outside. The inside is bare fiberglass. Rubbing it can break off pieces of this glass fiber. Your attic is filled with these glass fibers, and this fiberglass dust is quite unhealthy.
I agree that cleaning the HVAC ducts is a water of money, and it could result in the contractor puncturing a flexible duct.

But, I don't agree that cleaning a dryer vent is never needed. There are many ways that the dryer vent can become clogged and can actually cause a fire in the house. Humidity can cause the lint to clump together and collect in a vent pipe fitting, birds can build a nest in the gooseneck fitting on the roof, or a wasp nest can be constructed there. The duct is metal, but there can be a hole or a fitting separation that allows hot air to escape and cause a fire. If a dryer is getting hot but taking a long time to dry clothes, the vent needs to be inspected and cleaned out. A clogged dryer vent definitely has the potential to cause a house fire.

Here is a statistic from the NFPA.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 17,000 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year. These clothes dryer fires cause around 51 deaths, 380 injuries, and $236 million in property loss. Unsurprisingly, the leading cause of these fires, at 34%, is the failure to clean dryer vents.Jan 26, 2017
Old 11-21-2020, 07:53 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

Covenant Janitorial Desmond Harris, Owner, does an outstanding job of: dryer vent cleaning (to prevent house fires), driveway sealing, handy-man work.... you name it. Desmond is one of the most conscientious men you can have the pleasure of meeting. You can't but help liking him and wanting to take care of your handy-man projects. Desmond Harris, Covenant Janitorial, LLC, (352) 308-7457, Nextel 162*31528*6
Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

I called covenant and never got a call back. I did use Docs and they were wonderful and will use them again. My dryer vent goes through the roof and I am diligent about cleaning the screen but there is still a build up. Dryer vents should not be more than eight feet long, as it affects the dryers abilities. New towels are also big lint problems in a dryer.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've scrolled through several threads trying to find recommendations for a company or handyman who will come and clean out our dryer vent. Can anyone here help? Also would like to know a price range and contact info as well. I checked my NextDoor as well as the phone book and only came up with Jonathan's in Wildwood. If anyone has had them would you recommend them??
I would just put a new one on its just a clamp on each end
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 AM

We used Jonathan's and were very pleased. Punctual, thorough & reasonably priced.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prendymom View Post
We used "Complete Dryer Vent Services,LLC. He is insured & CSIA Certified. Which means he is a Certified Chimney Sweep. Not that we have chimneys, But, he was the best person we used since we lived here the past 9 years. He was here for over an hour, pulled out the dryer blew it out from the bottom up & then went up to the roof & cleaned out the vent up there. He took pictures of all that he did & gave us the pictures. We both were amazed at the build up as we both are diligent in cleaning our dryer after each use. Which mean the other people didn't do a thorough job! The cost was well worth it @ $123. $23 was for the new hose. He also installs a new dryer exhaust hose that doesn't kink. #352-653-0809. We recommended him to our friends & everyone said WOW he was good Ya get what pay for & this is a safety factor so you don't get build up in the vent/hose/roof vent. Next year it will only be $100.
We also used "Complete Dryer Vent". Yes more expensive, but documented insured and rated. Attached photos show lint buildup before cleaning. House is ~9 years old - probably never cleaned. Photos document lint buildup in vertical vent pipe as well as the roof outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	inlet[1].jpg
Views:	446
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	87017   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	roof_vent_before[1].jpg
Views:	454
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	87018   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	top_of_roof_before[1].jpg
Views:	444
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	87019  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Wright way duct cleaning. $79. Fast polite efficient. And cleaned out whole area under appliance 352-483-5545
Old 11-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Gold member

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LintEater-D...l-Kit/50371148
Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 AM
Default Dryer vent cleaning

Mark Burnett
352-250-0727
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 AM

Call Tom Wright Wright Way Duct Cleaning 1-352-562-2939
He also does dryer vents
Old 11-21-2020, 10:25 AM

Yes very good
Closed Thread

Tags
dryer, vent, scrolled, checked, nextdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.