Looking for Low Carb friendly Dr

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2022, 02:57 PM
Default Looking for Low Carb friendly Dr

Just moved to Villages and looking for GP who understands low carb/keto and cholesterol numbers. With this diet my cholesterol is higher than normal and I’m okay with that. Don’t want a Dr who simply works for big pharma and wants to prescribe a statin. Been down that road and not doing again. Please PM any referrals.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2022, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklogistic View Post
Just moved to Villages and looking for GP who understands low carb/keto and cholesterol numbers. With this diet my cholesterol is higher than normal and I’m okay with that. Don’t want a Dr who simply works for big pharma and wants to prescribe a statin. Been down that road and not doing again. Please PM any referrals.
Thanks
Well........

There are doctors that work for "big pharma", they usually are running phase 2 and 3 trials on new drugs, evaluating post marketing data on efficacy and side effects, and some are in administration. The clinicians in practice seeing patients that were referred to as "GPs" DO NOT work for "big pharma". Also, unless they were sleeping through 4 years of pre-med, 4 years of medical school and at least 3 years of residency, they all know far, far more about cholesterol than their patients.

As far as "wanting to prescribe a statin", there are fairly well defined criteria and targeted LDL levels depending on risk factors for prescribing one. If someone wants to decline the prescription despite meeting criteria, they are probably taking an unnecessary chance.

Also, some friendly advice: People who are looking for "alternative" medical treatment are ripe targets for all the quacks out there----"nutritionists", holistic "doctors", weight management clinics, chiropractors with a side business and any other snake oil salesmen. Please don't get drawn in.

I hope blueash sees this post and responds, I'd be interested in her opinion.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Hi, did you get any helpful recommendations?
Old 06-24-2022, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
Wow you sure do not have a good opinion of Doctors. The ones we met seem to be very interested in the health and welfare of their patients.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,964 Times in 753 Posts

Dr shop till they tell you what you want to hear.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks
You do not need a Dr. to eat low carbs and lose weight. Eat a better breakfast like eggs (mostly egg whites with one yoke) and even bacon or sausage. If you eat bread eat no enriched flower but rye or pumpernickel. Eat very little sweets but use fruit instead. Eat an energy bar and or a fruit for lunch. Have a meat and two vegies for dinner stay away from fried potatoes. For snacks eat nuts or grapes. Walk three to four times a week for thirty minutes. I have lost 40 lbs. doing that and I still have my cocktails at 5PM. This is a diet from a cardiologist who wrote a book called Sugar Busters years ago. He was much sticker for the first two weeks but it works.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:12 PM
Gold member

The only one I know of - Hocutt - retired a couple years ago.
BTW-A good resource is "Carbs Down Under" on YouTube.

Low Carb Down Under - YouTube

...And stay away from vegetable oils and all unsaturated oil.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well........

There are doctors that work for "big pharma", they usually are running phase 2 and 3 trials on new drugs, evaluating post marketing data on efficacy and side effects, and some are in administration. The clinicians in practice seeing patients that were referred to as "GPs" DO NOT work for "big pharma". Also, unless they were sleeping through 4 years of pre-med, 4 years of medical school and at least 3 years of residency, they all know far, far more about cholesterol than their patients.

As far as "wanting to prescribe a statin", there are fairly well defined criteria and targeted LDL levels depending on risk factors for prescribing one. If someone wants to decline the prescription despite meeting criteria, they are probably taking an unnecessary chance.

Also, some friendly advice: People who are looking for "alternative" medical treatment are ripe targets for all the quacks out there----"nutritionists", holistic "doctors", weight management clinics, chiropractors with a side business and any other snake oil salesmen. Please don't get drawn in.

I hope blueash sees this post and responds, I'd be interested in her opinion.
So in other words if we see this on the internet it just might not be true?
Old 09-29-2022, 05:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You mean "If it's on the internet it must be true" is not true????
Old 09-29-2022, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You mean "If it's on the internet it must be true" is not true????
Who knew?
Old 09-29-2022, 06:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Kind of like when a post starts off "Rumor has it......."
Old 09-29-2022, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Kind of like when a post starts off "Rumor has it......."
I'll have to check with my barber's babysitter's ex-boyfriend to see if it's true
Old 09-29-2022, 07:31 AM
Default Go to one of the TV clubs that support that lifestyle

And ask the club members

Here is one:

VillagesHealthWellness.com |
Closed Thread

Tags
cholesterol, low, statin, simply, works

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.