Medicare Wellness Checkup...No! No! No

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Default Medicare Wellness Checkup...No! No! No

Went to my primary care physician the other day and before I left she gave me some paperwork and scheduled a "Wellness Visit" This is supposed to be a "benefit" of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) The "Wellness Visit" must not be scheduled as a part of another visit but must be a separate visit for this purpose only. The questions on the paperwork were about a variety of things, can you do housework by yourself, can you get to the store without assistance, etc. Since the government is going to pay for the visit under Medicare, someone is going to have to compile all the information. My doctor already knows the answers to the questions on the form.

I am simply NOT going to take part is this wasteful program and I would encourage all of you to do the same.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

A free comprehensive checkup? Sounds good to me. An ounce of prevention.........
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Not sure what your issue is?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Sage

Wasn't the wellness visit a Medicare policy before Obama Care?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage

I think what the o.p. is saying is that his doctor was looking out for his wellness and has a handle on it, and Medicare was aware of it, before this latest round of government adding more bureaucratic data gathering that is compiled and analyzed and reported upon for ______ reason.

And that the federal government is well known for creating "make-work" types of jobs that keep the public sector jobs flowing despite their worth.

Teachers are under the same load of increasing bureaucracy oversight. They know every one of their students and they custom teach to their levels and they grade their papers and test them and report those evidences of performance to parents, administrators, state boards of education, and federal education bureaucracies. And yet, the feds add more testing and data gathering as if the teachers' individualized knowledge and grading of the actual student they are with 7-8 hours a day is not good enough, and so they put in some massive federal thing like No Child Left Behind.

Unfortunately, many of the same teachers who decry what's done to their dedicated work seem to think it's just fine for the feds to nullify what the doctor is doing by actually knowing the patient in person. One of many double standards going on.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Wasn't the wellness visit a Medicare policy before Obama Care?
I had my 1st wellness visit under Medicare 9 years ago, so, yeah it was.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1366 View Post
Went to my primary care physician the other day and before I left she gave me some paperwork and scheduled a "Wellness Visit" This is supposed to be a "benefit" of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) The "Wellness Visit" must not be scheduled as a part of another visit but must be a separate visit for this purpose only. The questions on the paperwork were about a variety of things, can you do housework by yourself, can you get to the store without assistance, etc. Since the government is going to pay for the visit under Medicare, someone is going to have to compile all the information. My doctor already knows the answers to the questions on the form.

I am simply NOT going to take part is this wasteful program and I would encourage all of you to do the same.
Sorry, but I don't understand. Wellness visits are covered under most insurance and Medicare, and have been for years. Your issue seems to be that someone is "going to have to compile all the information" Isn't that for your doctor to have a good idea of how you are getting on in life?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the wellness visit is mandatory. Maybe your doctor is just trying to schedule another visit they can bill.

Like I said.....I don't understand.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post

Sorry, but I don't understand. Wellness visits are covered under most insurance and Medicare, and have been for years. Your issue seems to be that someone is "going to have to compile all the information" Isn't that for your doctor to have a good idea of how you are getting on in life?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the wellness visit is mandatory. Maybe your doctor is just trying to schedule another visit they can bill.

Like I said.....I don't understand.
You're right. It's not mandatory. Just recently I received notice from Medicare that I'm entitled to one and haven't and I haven't had one since I started on Medicare. Noting in the notice said I had to have one. It was just a reminder that I can if I choose to.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.