Asking a favor

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Asking a favor

Hello, Dear TOTV friends; I am writing to ask a favor which is sort of for myself, since it will make me happy because of making my daughter happy, but it is mainly a favor for her; I hope you'll bear with me as I explain. For the past 5 weeks I've been camped in the hospital with my 28 year old daughter, Sarah Meghan Steinberg (she goes by her middle name, Meghan). We had first taken her to Chicago for surgery on her thought-to-be benign spinal tumor; but it was found to be leukemic cells, related to her history of leukemia for which she underwent a stem cell transplant from her brother five years ago, and which had been in complete remission for 5 years until now; so, all of us, including the surgeon, were blindsided.

We were looking to the right and life came at us from the left, as sometimes happens.

Then back in Louisville (where she lives) in the hospital here, they found leukemic cells in her spinal fluid; thankfully, her blood and bone marrow, though, are still normal and so this is all very strange and rare, say the doctors. She is now going through chemo and we are expecting all good to come, although future treatment course remains to be determined as we go along; right now she is very sick from the chemo and I am by her side. Bone marrow and blood are still clear of leukemia; it was found in her spinal tumor and in her spinal fluid, only.

She will beat it. Her middle name came from the heroine, Meghan, of the book and miniseries from the 1980s, 'The Thornbirds', who had such resolve, grit, and courage; and, as it turned out, we see as Meghan has gone through this illness starting 5 years ago, that we chose the right name for her. She has always shown such contempt and fearlessness for leukemia; with the attitude of 'is that all you've got?' So, how can we be anything but strong, also?

It is unknown when I will be back in my beloved TV home other than possibly for short stays to see my wonderful hubby, Doug, who is also traveling back and forth between here and TV to see us.

Now, for the favor I am asking: If any of you want to do something that would make Meghan very, very happy, it would be for any of you who are on Facebook to become a Facebook 'friend' of her non-profit foundation - called 'Meghan's Mountain', which provides direct patient support to adult and pediatric cancer patients - at ' I support Meghans Mountain ' (that is the name of the Facebook page - just put that phrase, 'I support Meghan's Mountain', in the search box on Facebook and the link for the page should come up, and then you can click on the link to become a 'Friend' -and, of course, there is no cost to do this).

[Meghan started her foundation after her original illness with leukemia in 2005, and 'Meghan's Mountain' provides holiday gifts and parties in cancer wards, washer/dryers for families in cancer units, money for indigent patients for transportation to/from treatment, exercise equipment for patients in cancer wards, summer camp designed especially for children with cancer, etc. - the 'extras' that there is often no regular funding for, but which make such a difference to patients and their families. Also, as a part of her foundation work, Meghan takes calls to go to hospitals to visit newly diagnosed cancer patients, especially teens and young adults, to encourage them with her own story, to help them believe that they, too, can get well again. Meghan has put so much effort into this foundation, and this year alone, largely through a fundraiser 'roast' of former U of L basketball coach, Denny Crum, who is a dear friend of Meghan's and is a member of the board of directors of 'Meghan's Mountain', has raised nearly $150,000 for direct patient support.]

Meghan is wanting to see her foundation's Facebook page membership go to over 1000, and it is almost there; and that would make her very, very happy and would give her a huge emotional lift which she could use right now. I'd love to see her membership go way up, and thought the power of you on TOTV might be the way to help that happen. (Her website related to her foundation is www.meghansmountain.com) If you become a 'friend' on her foundation's Facebook page, it would be great if you could also leave a brief message wishing her well on her foundation's 'wall'.

Thanks in advance to any of you who can help Meghan reach this goal. Freeda

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 09-26-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Absolutely

First let me say that I am so sorry for all your troubles. I just returned from Indiana where I sat with my daughter through her 38 year old husband's surgery for bladder cancer. I am a firm believer in prayer and I will keep both these young people, and their families in my prayers. I hope this post is not offensive to anyone, but as a hospital chaplain, my first response when troubled is to place it at God's feet. They will both make it!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Sage

I joined - number 990! Hoping she makes a full recovery from this.

Bill
Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

No. 991. Wishing you and your daughter the best. What in incredible young woman she is.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

Number 994 and praying for the best, because the best is going to happen!!!

Last edited by laryb; 09-26-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Sage

I read your post to my husband and he signed up for his own Facebook for the first time and logged in to your daughter's website.

Such a simple yet powerful request that really, really touched my heart.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Default Almost there

I was # 999
Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Number 1000

No. 1000!!! Best of luck and we will be praying for you and your daughter.

Mike
Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Sage

Welcome FMF Doc. I noticed it was your first post. I like you already!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Will do so immediately. Sending love.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM

I think I was 1002. Special thoughts and prayers are being sent for your very special daughter for a complete recovery and for your entire family.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Veteran member

I joined. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default dear freeda

Many many prayers and hugs to you and Meghan...#1007....
Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Default done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Hello, Dear TOTV friends; I am writing to ask a favor which is sort of for myself, since it will make me happy because of making my daughter happy, but it is mainly a favor for her; I hope you'll bear with me as I explain. For the past 5 weeks I've been camped in the hospital with my 28 year old daughter, Sarah Meghan Steinberg (she goes by her middle name, Meghan). We had first taken her to Chicago for surgery on her thought-to-be benign spinal tumor; but it was found to be leukemic cells, related to her history of leukemia for which she underwent a stem cell transplant from her brother five years ago, and which had been in complete remission for 5 years until now; so, all of us, including the surgeon, were blindsided.

We were looking to the right and life came at us from the left, as sometimes happens.

Then back in Louisville (where she lives) in the hospital here, they found leukemic cells in her spinal fluid; thankfully, her blood and bone marrow, though, are still normal and so this is all very strange and rare, say the doctors. She is now going through chemo and we are expecting all good to come, although future treatment course remains to be determined as we go along; right now she is very sick from the chemo and I am by her side. Bone marrow and blood are still clear of leukemia; it was found in her spinal tumor and in her spinal fluid, only.

She will beat it. Her middle name came from the heroine, Meghan, of the book and miniseries from the 1980s, 'The Thornbirds', who had such resolve, grit, and courage; and, as it turned out, we see as Meghan has gone through this illness starting 5 years ago, that we chose the right name for her. She has always shown such contempt and fearlessness for leukemia; with the attitude of 'is that all you've got?' So, how can we be anything but strong, also?

It is unknown when I will be back in my beloved TV home other than possibly for short stays to see my wonderful hubby, Doug, who is also traveling back and forth between here and TV to see us.

Now, for the favor I am asking: If any of you want to do something that would make Meghan very, very happy, it would be for any of you who are on Facebook to become a Facebook 'friend' of her non-profit foundation - called 'Meghan's Mountain', which provides direct patient support to adult and pediatric cancer patients - at ' I support Meghans Mountain ' (that is the name of the Facebook page - just put that phrase, 'I support Meghan's Mountain', in the search box on Facebook and the link for the page should come up, and then you can click on the link to become a 'Friend' -and, of course, there is no cost to do this).

[Meghan started her foundation after her original illness with leukemia in 2005, and 'Meghan's Mountain' provides holiday gifts and parties in cancer wards, washer/dryers for families in cancer units, money for indigent patients for transportation to/from treatment, exercise equipment for patients in cancer wards, summer camp designed especially for children with cancer, etc. - the 'extras' that there is often no regular funding for, but which make such a difference to patients and their families. Also, as a part of her foundation work, Meghan takes calls to go to hospitals to visit newly diagnosed cancer patients, especially teens and young adults, to encourage them with her own story, to help them believe that they, too, can get well again. Meghan has put so much effort into this foundation, and this year alone, largely through a fundraiser 'roast' of former U of L basketball coach, Denny Crum, who is a dear friend of Meghan's and is a member of the board of directors of 'Meghan's Mountain', has raised nearly $150,000 for direct patient support.]

Meghan is wanting to see her foundation's Facebook page membership go to over 1000, and it is almost there; and that would make her very, very happy and would give her a huge emotional lift which she could use right now. I'd love to see her membership go way up, and thought the power of you on TOTV might be the way to help that happen. (Her website related to her foundation is www.meghansmountain.com) If you become a 'friend' on her foundation's Facebook page, it would be great if you could also leave a brief message wishing her well on her foundation's 'wall'.

Thanks in advance to any of you who can help Meghan reach this goal. Freeda
Done and I emailed the link to 1100 dance teacher friends I have on Facebook with your story asking them to join also, I hope that was okay to do

this is the facebook group link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...6165612&ref=ts

Last edited by jannd228; 09-27-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: including url
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Dancing Thyme

Hi Freeda, I don't know what number I am, but I joined a while ago when you first posted this on Facebook. I'm now a friend of Jerry's so that I can receive updates and communicate with him also.

I wrote to Meghan a while ago wishing her the best and that I was praying for her and all of you. This is a hard battle but it can be won, and I too believe that prayers are all powerful and we will continue to support this cause with all that we have!!!

Good Luck, and please keep us posted.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.