Do I Have Any Recourse

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

I would call your former house cleaners and tell them something is missing and do they know anything about it.

Would casually mention that you have nanny cams around the house and after the call you will be calling the police and turning over the evidence.

Might get some interesting results.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Call the police
Sheriff around here. Unless you’re in ladylake city limits?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would do nothing, unless you have a special insurance endorsement for the stolen items, or evidence against the house cleaners.

Calling the police would be a waste of time.
I disagree. The police at a minimum would have a record of this, and they may/may not investigate. What’s the harmin filing a report?

Unless the items stolen were of a particular class of items (jewelry, stamp/coin collections, fine art, etc) you don’t need a rider/special endorsement. Your deductible would apply, but you would need a police report for the insurance company.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
A mother and daughter team had been cleaning my house for a few weeks. Suddenly, they stopped coming, with no explanation. I've just discovered that two items, worth over $1,500.00 have gone missing. They have been the ONLY outsiders in my home. Now I know why they stopped coming. I know exactly where these two items were and now they are gone. Do I have any recourse of action? Or would it be their word against mine. I am so disappointed. I trusted these people and now I've been betrayed.
Asking what recourse you have to an anonymous Internet forum? File a police report and call your insurance company. Time is of the essence.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I see people on Television checking the local pawn shops. They have to have picture I.D. when they accept an item.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

If you Google their phone numbers does it give you their address? If this happened to me I'm sorry but there is no way I could just write it off or let it go. Think back did they give you any indication about where they lived? If you don't have more than just Mother & Daughter even Vito & Rocco couldn't help you!

I wish you luck in getting your stuff back and why don't you name what the stuff is in case it shows up in the classifieds or at a Flea Market or on E-Bay! You never know. Again, Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Veteran member

According to stories in the online news, the police and sheriffs around here actively investigate theft/shoplifting cases, including from private citizens, and there's no reason to think they wouldn't take your report seriously. At the very least, I'd expect them to locate and speak to the cleaners.

The details would end up on the police blotter, however, and be subject to publication.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:59 PM
Default File police report

Of course you should file a police report. They will investigate. They may have other reports; with a description of the missing items they may find them and trace them back. For sure you should file the report.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
Of course you should file a police report. They will investigate. They may have other reports; with a description of the missing items they may find them and trace them back. For sure you should file the report.
Yes file a report. Many police departments have officers that regularly check pawn shops for stolen property. If the police don't know it is stolen they don't know to look for it.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:29 PM

Go with "Great Job Pro"....they are professional and bonded
Old 09-15-2020, 04:31 PM

Call the cleaners and mention that you're cleaning your firearm
Old 09-15-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

hopefully anything with that value you had listed on a rider with your homeowner's insurance policy

theft by house cleaner is most likely not an uncommon complaint in this era

We were constantly disappointed with the 'treasures' we'd brought back from traveling around the world being broken by the careless house cleaners we had

we gave up on them and ended that "service"

When we finally do start to use a house cleaning service again...I'll want to know if their bonded, have insurance and I'll put away anything that I wouldn't want broken before they arrive...I don't care how much you pay...the owner might be great, but the rest of the help are all 'bulls in a china shop'
Old 09-15-2020, 09:46 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

By all means, call the police! There is a chance that only one of them stole from you, or a 3rd person could have been (in the area) and stopped when your cleaning team was at work. Sometimes people have a reputation for being thieves and word does spread throughout the the police station. They are aware of thieves and a small chance of recovery. They can’t help if you don’t call! Ask police about spreading the names of Bonnie n connie when the report is made. So sorry that you are going through this!! Keep doors locked! They know your house!
Old 09-16-2020, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Shouldn’t you be asking the police?
Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
A mother and daughter team had been cleaning my house for a few weeks. Suddenly, they stopped coming, with no explanation. I've just discovered that two items, worth over $1,500.00 have gone missing. They have been the ONLY outsiders in my home. Now I know why they stopped coming. I know exactly where these two items were and now they are gone. Do I have any recourse of action? Or would it be their word against mine. I am so disappointed. I trusted these people and now I've been betrayed.
Your recourse is to not make the same mistake again. Why were those items available for these cleaning people to steal? You’re probably old enough to know better! Sorry for your loss!
Closed Thread

Tags
items, coming, stopped, recourse, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.