Just a friendly note to those that care

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2020, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Post Just a friendly note to those that care

It has been brought to my attention that the Medical Staff and Support Staff at the Villages Regional Hospital that acquire the cornavirus at work cannot collect workman comp benefits unless they can prove without doubt it was acquired at work. That is impossible to prove and totally unacceptable. They must use their PTO time and if they run out of their PTO time, they have no income until they test negative twice and can return to work.

Right now as I write this post, there are a husband and wife that are full time employees of TVRH that have tested positive and are self quarantined at home until they each test negative at least twice.

They need our help. Fundraiser by Jennifer Grinvalds : Please help, I have Covid and can’t work.. PLEASE Donate to their GoFundMe account as little or as much as you can .

FYI I am just a friend that knows they need our help.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Why is this unacceptable. If I'm not mistaken in any workman's comp claim it must be proven that the injury or illness was acquired at work. I wouldn't be surprised to find that this is the case in every company.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

What about unemployment compensation?
Old 07-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Can you believe that full Unemployment in Florida pays somewhere around $275 to $375 a week? That's just crazy. There must be a reason.

All the people who struggle with getting/spending the next stimulus payment, here is your answer. Hope they get better quickly.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I don't get why this is unacceptable either...if their job routinely required them to come into contact with folks that had covid-19 there's a good chance that they have a worker's comp case...and yes they have to be able to provide demonstrable (or reasonable) evidence that it happened at work. If they were playing it safe away from work there's a good chance that they have a case...perhaps they should contact an attorney that specializes in employment law to help them build their case

this 'go fund me' stuff is really gotten out of hand...the George Floyd 'Go Fund Me' account pulled in $14M...why? (rhetorical)

I give generously to the Salvation Army, as do many....they'll help anyone in need...I'd recommend that you refer your friends to SA if they should run out of PTO and need assistance
Old 07-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage

I'd suggest that any hospital employee that has public contact, walk out until the hospital assures them , in writing, that comp will apply. Otherwise, there are plenty of jobs around. Same should apply for all jobs including public contact.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I'd suggest that any hospital employee that has public contact, walk out until the hospital assures them , in writing, that comp will apply. Otherwise, there are plenty of jobs around. Same should apply for all jobs including public contact.
I totally agree.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

I guess people might understand why nursing unions exist. Unions have a purpose and many in mgmt don’t like their rules, but there might be times when employee protections are important
Old 07-25-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You must be ready, willing and able to work in order to collect unemployment.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
You must be ready, willing and able to work in order to collect unemployment.
Absolutely correct. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Would think they would be more protective of their employees especially with the virus putting them at great risk
Old 07-25-2020, 01:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Would think they would be more protective of their employees especially with the virus putting them at great risk
This has been an issue for most healthcare personal in every state. They are furloughed, not eligible for unemployment, because technically they are employed. If infected you use your own pto time, it is not workmen’s comp, since there is no proof it is work related ( could have been grocery, family, friends)

Most Of the public have no idea Since March that more than 65% of employees at medical facilities Have been out of work, and have use all personal paid time, with no income after bank is gone
Old 07-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
This has been an issue for most healthcare personal in every state. They are furloughed, not eligible for unemployment, because technically they are employed. If infected you use your own pto time, it is not workmen’s comp, since there is no proof it is work related ( could have been grocery, family, friends)

Most Of the public have no idea Since March that more than 65% of employees at medical facilities Have been out of work, and have use all personal paid time, with no income after bank is gone
Have friend who is in healthcare, another state, cleaned up on the $600 plus unemployment. Got called back after a couple months but got a nice chunk of change, more than they made working. Then there are those in healthcare, get hours cut, use your PTO, when that's gone so is your income for hours lost. For many of these folks the stimulus check is huge.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Sage

My daughter is a revenue analyst for a major hospital chain. She was furloughed for three months starting in April. She was able to collect unemployment after struggling for a month to file with the FL unemployment system because their website was (is) majorly messed up. And yes, the FL unemployment compensation is only $275 per week. That and the extra $600 from the Federal government, although generous, didn't come close to her regular pay, plus they still owe her a sizeable amount. She was happy to go back to work.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

[QUOTE=mulligan;1808450]I'd suggest that any hospital employee that has public contact, walk out until the hospital assures them , in writing, that comp will apply. Otherwise, there are plenty of jobs around. Same should apply for all jobs including public contact.[/Q

Isn't Workers Comp an insurance that protects the employee/and the employer in the event there is an injury or illness caused by work related issues. If so, it would seem that the insuring agency would define what is covered and then determine if coverage conditions were met. If someone disagrees, it seems that their issue would be with the insuring agency.

As an aside, it might be decided that one person was covered due to work, but perhaps the other was infected at home by the covered person. May be a different decision. Just saying....
Closed Thread

Tags
work, time, pto, prove, test

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.