Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/helping-hands-130/)
-   -   Just a friendly note to those that care (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/helping-hands-130/just-friendly-note-those-care-309425/)

DecaturFargo 07-26-2020 09:28 AM

First of all, it hasn't been referred to as workman's comp. for years. The correct term is worker's comp. Second, many states have changed the rule that states that if you contract covid and you are a medical provider, it is assumed you contracted it while employed. Check your State.

First of all, it hasn't been referred as workman's comp. for years. The correct term is worker's comp. Second, many states have changed the rule that states that if you contract covid and you are a medical provider, it is assumed you contracted it while employed. Check your State. It's not up to the businesses to decide if you qualify, it's up to the language in the worker's compensation laws.

ffresh 07-26-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1808601)
This has been an issue for most healthcare personal in every state. They are furloughed, not eligible for unemployment, because technically they are employed. If infected you use your own pto time, it is not workmen’s comp, since there is no proof it is work related ( could have been grocery, family, friends)

Most Of the public have no idea Since March that more than 65% of employees at medical facilities Have been out of work, and have use all personal paid time, with no income after bank is gone

I believe, without doubt, this situation has arisen because of GOVERNMENT edicts, disallowing non-essential procedures and such, and with few actual Covid cases requiring hospitalization, there is little work, which equals little pay (furlough). I am 35 year friends with a hospital medical director here in PA; he and I recently had this conversation. As with almost everything else, government creates the initial problem, then proposes the solution that sucks in money like a "black hole", ad infinitum! :ohdear:

But at least we can be sure that this crisis has no political underpinnings :icon_wink:

Fred

joshgun 07-26-2020 12:04 PM

You are getting close to the issue. The insuring agent is falling the rules/protocols that the state work comp board provides. This board would have to change the rules for Covid to be included.

lifefitnessdmb 07-26-2020 04:04 PM

In a Illinois, unemployment is paying $1000 a month. My son is receiving it. Do pet week as you mentioned is within normal of other states. The idea is not to totally depend on it but go out and look for a job!

Stu from NYC 07-26-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifefitnessdmb (Post 1809171)
In a Illinois, unemployment is paying $1000 a month. My son is receiving it. Do pet week as you mentioned is within normal of other states. The idea is not to totally depend on it but go out and look for a job!

When someone makes more from being unemployed than from working why go and look for a new job?

Marshaw 07-26-2020 04:56 PM

I thought there was special funding for that,

pdfortin 07-26-2020 06:04 PM

All of us in health care facilities are like that.

OrangeBlossomBaby 07-27-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1809177)
When someone makes more from being unemployed than from working why go and look for a new job?

Because it's temporary and the recipient knows that it will end. This is a cushion to help them find work between the point they became unemployed, and the point where ALL the unemployment funds will be shut off to them because they've reached the limit.

Biker Dog 07-28-2020 03:15 AM

Thank you

I want to thank all the folks that donated to the GoFundMe account.:bigbow: