Loaner hospital bed

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Default Loaner hospital bed

We just purchased a new home in Mission Hills and are moving down from Maine with my 92 year old mother. She uses a hospital bed to have her head elevated when she sleeps. We are bringing one with us, but there may be a few days before the movers arrive. Does anyone know where we can borrow one for a few days?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM

I just noticed that no one has responded to your post.

Hospital beds are quite heavy - I doubt anyone is going to "loan" you one for a few days, which would require at least 2 very strong men to deliver and pick up. You can certainly rent them, but that doesn't seem practical for just a few days. Why not just go to Bed, Bath & Beyond and purchase a nice, sturdy wedge pillow? You can place regular bed pillows vertically on a wedge to achieve any incline you want. And you would have the wedge to take with you if you decide to take her along on any road trips requiring overnight stays...just thinkin'
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Call The Medicine Chest in Lake Sumter Landing. They have all types of medical equipment.
If they don't have a bed, I'm sure they could tell you where to look.

About Us - The Medicine Chest Pharmacy in The Villages
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM

I appreciate the responses. Hospital beds apparently come in various sizes. The one my mother uses is a twin size and even thought it has the electric motors to lift the head and feet, it, comes apart easily, is quite light weight and was set up by one person from the medical supply company.
The wedge idea is great except that we won't have a bed because we will be ahead of the movers.
We will continue to work on this issue and I am sure we will figure something out. I just though that someone might have one that was not in use any longer.
In the long-term, I would also like to find an organization in The Villages area that might be able to use our bed when the time comes that we are no longer in need of it. They are not inexpensive and I would like to find a way to make it available to someone in need, someday.
Thanks for your responses. We look forward to enjoying many happy retirement years in TV and I am sure that my mother will appreciate the warmer (warmer than Maine) weather.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.