Teaching Young boys to Give

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Default Teaching Young boys to Give

I am in the process of putting together a project (charity) club for two young boys 4 and 6 who are very interested in helping animals. Wanting to keep this project only within the Villages so that the boys can collect the goods themselves and help deliver the much needed items to the local shelters. These items are things found in your home, such as old towels, newspapers, cotton balls, dog or cat food...ect...the boys are excited and I think this is important for them to understand that giving is so much better than getting. The Boys are excited and the plans are to start this fall, and they would have drives every couple of months to collect these items. They have suggestions on the name of their new found club, and now asking family and friends for suggestions on names, (I'm impressed that they have taken this so serious) so thought I would ask you folks...any suggestions for the boys new charity club that will provide aid to much needed household items for local shelters... think this only adds to their excitment to determine what name to call their club ....who knows where this will take the boys. The boys already have the color of their shirts picked out...LOL
Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Hmmm.

How about...Kids Karing for Kanines or Friends of Furry Felines?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Veteran member

Gracie...very clever!!!

I think this is a wonderful idea EmilyJean!!! Good for those little boys!!
I would love to help...but not there right now, but would love to help them out when I get there!!

I will think on a name, but I bet those lil boys could come up with a great name!!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I haven't come up with the catchy club name yet, but one phrase did come to mind that might help with getting the word out on posters or other notices:
Special Pet Contribution Accepted...at least until the real SPCA might express concern.

Another thought about the periodic drives for donations...perhaps the boys can get large trash cans with attached lids donated [count my husband and I in for one] and those cans might be placed at strategic locations next to TV merchant buildings where residents might drop off donations rather than have to store them until the next drive.

I don't know how to secure permission for that possibility but I am pretty sure it can be done. Next to the convenience store near the Silver Lake post office some group has containers where residents can drop their newspapers; and someone from the group comes and collects the newspapers periodically.

Another thought is to have the boys clip/collect the pet food/treat coupons from newspapers and magazines and give them to the shelters. I have no pets but I clip the coupons and our SPCA leaves them on their counter for people to take for their pets or to purchase items to bring back to the shelter.

Will get back to you if I can come up with something more clever than Pause for Paws or Cause for Paws - but I am liking them the more I speak out loud!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Sage

Boys for Buppies?

It is always good to teach little ones early to be kind to animals....and to people. I wish that more people would take time to explain to their children about people with special needs too.

Teaching compassion and acceptance and helping others. The things we used to teach when many of us were stay at home moms.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

"Project Happy Tails"

or just "Happy Tails"

"Furbuddies R Us"
Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Sage

Happy Tails to you
Until we meet again
Happy Tails to you
Keep smilin' until then...

Gene or Roy???
Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Happy Tails to you
Until we meet again
Happy Tails to you
Keep smilin' until then...

Gene or Roy???
LOL, GG. My mind went in that direction too when I first said it out loud! There used to be a pet grooming shop in a town I lived in that was named Happy Tails Salon - or something like that.

There will be a lot of happy tails a waggin' as a result of these young boys' efforts.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I haven't come up with the catchy club name yet, but one phrase did come to mind that might help with getting the word out on posters or other notices:
Special Pet Contribution Accepted...at least until the real SPCA might express concern.

Another thought about the periodic drives for donations...perhaps the boys can get large trash cans with attached lids donated [count my husband and I in for one] and those cans might be placed at strategic locations next to TV merchant buildings where residents might drop off donations rather than have to store them until the next drive.

I don't know how to secure permission for that possibility but I am pretty sure it can be done. Next to the convenience store near the Silver Lake post office some group has containers where residents can drop their newspapers; and someone from the group comes and collects the newspapers periodically.

Another thought is to have the boys clip/collect the pet food/treat coupons from newspapers and magazines and give them to the shelters. I have no pets but I clip the coupons and our SPCA leaves them on their counter for people to take for their pets or to purchase items to bring back to the shelter.

Will get back to you if I can come up with something more clever than Pause for Paws or Cause for Paws - but I am liking them the more I speak out loud!
Thanks so much will be reading this and all the others to the boys this weekend, keep all posted on what the name the boys pick out with all the suggestions they have, and will post their first drive within 30 days....thanks so much, really want the boys to learn early about giving instead of getting
Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjean View Post
i am in the process of putting together a project (charity) club for two young boys 4 and 6 who are very interested in helping animals. Wanting to keep this project only within the villages so that the boys can collect the goods themselves and help deliver the much needed items to the local shelters. These items are things found in your home, such as old towels, newspapers, cotton balls, dog or cat food...ect...the boys are excited and i think this is important for them to understand that giving is so much better than getting. The boys are excited and the plans are to start this fall, and they would have drives every couple of months to collect these items. They have suggestions on the name of their new found club, and now asking family and friends for suggestions on names, (i'm impressed that they have taken this so serious) so thought i would ask you folks...any suggestions for the boys new charity club that will provide aid to much needed household items for local shelters... Think this only adds to their excitment to determine what name to call their club ....who knows where this will take the boys. The boys already have the color of their shirts picked out...lol
thanks to all of you, will read all of these to the boys this weekend as i get them set up to start this project this fall, thanks again to you all, great ideas, so can't wait to read this all to them
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Dancing Thyme

Emilyjean, this is a wonderful project. I actually donate old towels and quilts to my vet here in TV but I'll hold some to donate to the boys. Thanks for doing this! Keep us posted.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to lavendera1

This is great to teach them to love animals Hats off to the boys! I would like to help in anyway I can. If they need anything let me know. I was a boy scout leader for 12 years we can all help them. Little Bit of Help! LBOH now there's a name. Keep us posted!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.