Trying to find some friends - new here

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Default Trying to find some friends - new here

Hello! New to TV since Aug...my husband & I are in our 60's moved here from NY. Can't seem to find ppl to mingle (for lack of a better word) with. We enjoy the pool, love having wine late afternoon, good food and conversation. Love all kinds of music...we are such warm friendly ppl that this is a harder transition than I thought it would be. PPL don't seem to be overly friendly so far...ppl we've come across are a bit clickie...I'm feeling a little down about it. You've got to have friends & ppl to talk to. Thanks for reading my post!
Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

You'll find friends. We had a difficult time as well. Sometimes it may a while. Check out the weekly recreation guide for the many social clubs that offer home state, hobbyist, and game clubs. In the mean time please free your schedule for the monthly TOTV meet and greet always held on the 3rd friday of every month at 3o pm at Crisper's restaurant in the Southern Trace shopping center. All are welcome.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I sent you a pm
Old 01-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Sent you a pm
Old 01-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Assume you moved into an older community and purchased pre-owned.....those are harder. You might want to host an open house or driveway party and create a neighborhood mixer. Then you ask the appropriae questions around what neigborhood activities and how you can join in. Also, do it without the expectation of reciprocity....that doesn't always happen. The TOTV mixer is a good start but most likely will not include your closest neighbors, as do the social clubs. It will take time, you will find your group but you may have to reach out more than others will reach out to you.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Default Friendly hello

Hi...sent you a Private Message.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Thursday in the Daily Sun is the Recreational News, it has list of the clubs in the villages. This will give you a starting place to meet people with similar interests. You can also provide a follow up message with specific interests you have, which should lead to others with similar interests. For example, we do not golf, but we both like to bowl, so we have joined bowling leagues, and made several new friends. My wife took several courses at LLLC (before it closed) and met several people.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Welcome to TOTV!!!

I agree, it can be a little hard to break into the social scene in The Villages, but it will come. Join clubs! Find people of like interests. I love the idea of hosting a driveway party. Sit in the front of your house having your wine, in the late afternoons and wave to everyone who goes by. Make sure you have an extra glass, in case someone stops! The fact that our outdoor spaces are in the back of our houses, I believe contributes to less "mingling". I'd love to figure out a way to put a sitting area in the front of my house, for this reason.

Good luck!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

You could start right here on TOTV. Tell people what Village you are in and say that on such and such an afternoon you would like to have others who are also looking for companionship to stop by.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Sage

Host a driveway party by posting a sign in your neighborhood mail center. Have everyone bring a dish to share and BYOB.

Another is to send notes to your neighbors for a breakfast party.

Crisper's meeting is every third Friday of the month and you can meet people form TOTV. Next one is Jan 20th at 3 PM in the The Southern Trace Shopping Plaza on 466.

Eventually you'll find people who will seem like family.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM

I am a snowbird but own a home in TV. I found the best way to meet people in my neighborhood was simply to walk my dog. Many of them still don't know me that well but they all know my dog. Seriously, the best way to meet new people is to go where they are.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRONNAR View Post
Hello! New to TV since Aug...my husband & I are in our 60's moved here from NY. Can't seem to find ppl to mingle (for lack of a better word) with. We enjoy the pool, love having wine late afternoon, good food and conversation. Love all kinds of music...we are such warm friendly ppl that this is a harder transition than I thought it would be. PPL don't seem to be overly friendly so far...ppl we've come across are a bit clickie...I'm feeling a little down about it. You've got to have friends & ppl to talk to. Thanks for reading my post!
Learn to play Mah Jongg. You'll have plenty of friends.
About Thursday's Rec News insert, it does not cover all the clubs--only those meeting that week. Check the Clubs & Activities tab above for a complete list.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRONNAR View Post
Hi and cheer up. Mark Twain said if you meet ten folks and one of them becomes a friend, you are very lucky.
Yes, it is clicky here, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is the message being sent to you from them,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LEAVE EM ALONE.
A suggestion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, get into volunteering and you will find like minded friends. There is a big need for reading and writing tutors at Tutors for Kids, they do a good job.
Check with Frank and Carolyn, Russo.

bbbbbb
Old 01-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

That meeting at Crispers seemed to do the trick for me. I'm a very Shy, Reserved, Quiet Person. It helped bring me out of my shell and now I'm more fun then a bag full of snakes!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

What village are you in?
Closed Thread

Tags
ppl, love, friendly, friends, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.