What to do with a 11 yr. old?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran member
Question What to do with a 11 yr. old?

I'm inquiring for a friend who will be taking care of her 11 yr. old grandson during the summer. His mother goes to school and works; they live in Buffalo Ridge. The problem is he wants to learn to swim better. Buffalo Ridge has no pool. There isn't a YMCA or Boys Club in the area where he can learn, and the family pool here in TV doesn't have swim lessons. He does enjoy swimming and hopes to be on the swim team when he gets to high school, but you must know how to swim well before you can get on the team.

At 11-1/2 yrs. old, he "no's" and/or "knows" as most pre-teen boys do about most things. He says "no" to Camp Villages again as he "knows" it's only for little kids.

So, what I'm asking for is some ideas to help my friend keep her sanity with a preteen boy when there isn't much to keep him entertained during the summer. Got suggestions?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Maybe check with the high school and see if any of the kids on the swim team give lessons and, if so, where.

Eleven is a tough age. Think I'd be looking at any and all day camps (and at least one away camp) for the summer. I can understand not wanting the Villages Camp, but there are a lot of other camps around here.

I wish her luck and certainly don't envy here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

My 8 year old grandson lives in Leesburg and is a good swimmer. I don't worry about him when in the pool here in The Villages.

He took lessons at Venetian Gardens Swimming Pool in Leesburg. Here is the link to its summer swim program and phone number to call. Be sure you go to Page 3 to view the swimming information http://www.leesburgflorida.gov/pdf/r...grams_2013.pdf

Leesburg Parks and Recreation also offers football, soccer, and tennis lessons for the 11 year old age group.

Another idea is roller skating at Leesburg Skate World Skate World, Tourist Attractions, Leesburg, FL 34748 - index. It's a good place for youngsters to meet others their age.

Horseback riding lessons: Horseback Riding Lessons in Ocala, Florida.

Don't overlook church activities. Most have Vacation Bible School.

Good luck keeping this pre-adolescent busy. It won't be easy but it's not impossible.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01 View Post
My 8 year old grandson lives in Leesburg and is a good swimmer. I don't worry about him when in the pool here in The Villages.

He took lessons at Venetian Gardens Swimming Pool in Leesburg. Here is the link to its summer swim program and phone number to call. Be sure you go to Page 3 to view the swimming information http://www.leesburgflorida.gov/pdf/r...grams_2013.pdf

Leesburg Parks and Recreation also offers football, soccer, and tennis lessons for the 11 year old age group.

Another idea is roller skating at Leesburg Skate World Skate World, Tourist Attractions, Leesburg, FL 34748 - index. It's a good place for youngsters to meet others their age.

Horseback riding lessons: Horseback Riding Lessons in Ocala, Florida.

Don't overlook church activities. Most have Vacation Bible School.

Good luck keeping this pre-adolescent busy. It won't be easy but it's not impossible.
What a really kind and helpful post - I don't have an 11 year old grandson who needs to be kept amused for the summer months (thank goodness), but if I did I would be most appreciative of your thoughtfulness in providing so much great information.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
What a really kind and helpful post - I don't have an 11 year old grandson who needs to be kept amused for the summer months (thank goodness), but if I did I would be most appreciative of your thoughtfulness in providing so much great information.

In the olden days, somehow the 11 year-olds found a way to get together and play. They'd be gone all day and get back around supper, a little dirty and tired.

In modern times kids don't always think of this on their own, nor do they have much of an idea of what to do if they are together with age mates. Parents seem to know about organizing 'playdates' for little kids, but I think it might only be grandparents who can tutor an 11 year-old on how to just go out and play.

Good luck! And may the force be with you!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran member

Wow. Thanks for the help and advice. The kid loves science fiction and his Gram does not, so DH and I will take him to the new Star Trek movie, but I don't know how and don't want to make a habit of caring for a preteen boy. Swimming lessons in Leesburg sounds like a way to go.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
In the olden days, somehow the 11 year-olds found a way to get together and play. They'd be gone all day and get back around supper, a little dirty and tired.

In modern times kids don't always think of this on their own, nor do they have much of an idea of what to do if they are together with age mates. Parents seem to know about organizing 'playdates' for little kids, but I think it might only be grandparents who can tutor an 11 year-old on how to just go out and play.

Good luck! And may the force be with you!
I agree 100% with you! The problem here in The Villages though is there are no trees to climb, no neighborhood school yards with equipment to play on or use for forts or castles, yards that are small providing little space for play, lack of toys/bicycles, scooters, skateboards, sports paraphernalia, etc., and no neighborhood children to share in play.

My 8 year old grandson almost lives outside playing when he's at his home. He has all his toys there plus neighborhood friends. He doesn't have those here in TV so I am also faced with how to keep him entertained when he comes to visit.

However, an 11 year old is getting to the age where he most likely doesn't "play" anymore, at least not in the sense of how we think of "play". Developmentally, he is probably into sports and "hanging out" with friends which is more challenging to fulfill when visiting a retirement community. (I didn't mention video games because that is almost a given activity for all kids. To me, playing video games is not a good choice when trying to keep a child active.)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.