Why does my car squeak? Someone please tell me...

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ok , Old Fumar will help you out .......Go around to the front of the car and with your hand press down hard on the top of the hood.....if it squeaks then you have it . its in the hood latch.......Mazda miatas are famous for it and so are many other models........I'll be there in three weeks and you can bring the ICE CREAM to Chatham .............

Fumar the mouse detector...
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Come on folks, get real. This person asked a serious question and if all you can do is mock and ridicule take to "just for fun". The next time ANY of you need some information on anything I am going to beat you into submission with jokes and poke fun at every word you write. And believe me, I am a master at it.

You will resign in shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
I'm with you 100% l2ridehd as far as the "comical" responses are concerned in this thread. I believe that is why their is a "Just for fun" board here. When some one asks a question those with an answer should respond. This happens way to often.

BTW there is no reason to "BUMP" a thread with a bunch of BS. The poster can "subscribe" to their thread and receive an email when someone responses to their question and an Email will be sent to their mail box. This poor person would be getting their mail box filled up with a bunch of crap.
As being one of those being referred to in these two messages, I feel offended and compelled to respond and will attempt to do so with all due respect, something we were not afforded in these above posts. I waited more than 24 hours before making this response because I wanted to makes sure I wasn’t making a rush to judgment as to wither or not there’s merit to the remarks. Now after the 24 hours I feel exactly as I did when I first read them! I even went the nine yards to privately message the OP to find out if they felt offended by my remarks (I can’t speak for the remarks of others involved) and asked them to let me know if they did. I even offered an apology if they did happen to take it offensively even though I feel under normal circumstances that no apology is warranted. Now, more than 24 hours after I sent that message, I have not had the courtesy of receiving a response from the OP… and I know from their stats that they have been on TOTV during the day yesterday!

Now, I strongly disagree that we were mocking and ridiculing the poster, but rather simply having some good natured fun at the expense of the “squeak only,” which happened to be the source of annoyance to the OP. I won’t even bother going into the “bump” explanation offered by others! Do you really think that our posts really rises to a level that warrants a need for you to attack us by posing an ultimatum to harass us with a bombardment of jokes and pokes, just for the sake of annoying us? Do you think that doing so is an acceptable form of behavior here on TOTV? And do you really think that retaliation would serve any purpose other than to aggravate or provoke us?

Moving on to the second post! It’s been emphasized many times lately that we are to be friendly and civil to each other and not make personal attacks. Well, what do you think referring to the posting of others as “a bunch of BS” and “a bunch of crap” is? That sure doesn’t sound civil or friendly to me or consistent with the policies of this forum!

I now understand how Russ Boston felt and why he took to backing off TOTV and it wouldn’t surprise me if I decided to take a similar route soon. I have enough stress in my life and don’t need the additional aggravation of situations like these!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
As being one of those being referred to in these two messages, I feel offended and compelled to respond and will attempt to do so with all due respect, something we were not afforded in these above posts. I waited more than 24 hours before making this response because I wanted to makes sure I wasn’t making a rush to judgment as to wither or not there’s merit to the remarks. Now after the 24 hours I feel exactly as I did when I first read them! I even went the nine yards to privately message the OP to find out if they felt offended by my remarks (I can’t speak for the remarks of others involved) and asked them to let me know if they did. I even offered an apology if they did happen to take it offensively even though I feel under normal circumstances that no apology is warranted. Now, more than 24 hours after I sent that message, I have not had the courtesy of receiving a response from the OP… and I know from their stats that they have been on TOTV during the day yesterday!

Now, I strongly disagree that we were mocking and ridiculing the poster, but rather simply having some good natured fun at the expense of the “squeak only,” which happened to be the source of annoyance to the OP. I won’t even bother going into the “bump” explanation offered by others! Do you really think that our posts really rises to a level that warrants a need for you to attack us by posing an ultimatum to harass us with a bombardment of jokes and pokes, just for the sake of annoying us? Do you think that doing so is an acceptable form of behavior here on TOTV? And do you really think that retaliation would serve any purpose other than to aggravate or provoke us?

Moving on to the second post! It’s been emphasized many times lately that we are to be friendly and civil to each other and not make personal attacks. Well, what do you think referring to the posting of others as “a bunch of BS” and “a bunch of crap” is? That sure doesn’t sound civil or friendly to me or consistent with the policies of this forum!

I now understand how Russ Boston felt and why he took to backing off TOTV and it wouldn’t surprise me if I decided to take a similar route soon. I have enough stress in my life and don’t need the additional aggravation of situations like these!

I agree... I haven't responded to many posts on this forum since reading this. I haven't PM'd the OP and I don't know how they feel about it, but I'm guessing neither does any one else.

As to the squeak... had the OP come back with more information, I really would have tried to figure it out, so it wasn't that I didn't take it seriously. However, I don't take life seriously.

I don't know about anyone else, but I will truly miss Skyguy's post if he stops posting. He can add humor to any post as do many of the posters on this forum. I would so hate to see the forum become dry except for the "just for fun" forum, because some of us like to have fun everywhere. I guess I wasn't aware that I couldn't have fun on other threads.

Now to the OP... Now we really have taken this off topic and I apologize for that but I also felt a need to respond.

I have an idea... Why don't the people who are offended by another posters comments and feel the need to criticize a poster.... Use the ignore option instead. It would be much kinder then blasting them/us in a public forum. I have used it and found it takes the aggravation out of the forum.

CRAP!!!! Now I'll be ignored by everyone.....

Last edited by angiefox10; 09-02-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM

could be your belt if its all the time. brakes if its when you brake.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Sorry angiefox and Skyguy. Not intended to drive you away, just to point out that you would not like it if it was done to you. And based on your reply, you didn't. So how you feel may be how the original poster felt about your replies. There is a forum for what you were doing and it's called just for fun. When someone asks a serious question, I really hate to see them poked fun of and not taken seriously. And if you sent me a PM, I never got it.

IMO you were mocking the poster. In your's you were not. We agree to disagree.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
TY, TY! But let's not forget that it's the nuts above the steering wheels (the pluralizing made this impersonal) that we need to be most concerned with!

The Villages Florida
Quote:
Sorry angiefox and Skyguy. Not intended to drive you away, just to point out that you would not like it if it was done to you. And based on your reply, you didn't. So how you feel may be how the original poster felt about your replies. There is a forum for what you were doing and it's called just for fun. When someone asks a serious question, I really hate to see them poked fun of and not taken seriously. And if you sent me a PM, I never got it.

IMO you were mocking the poster. In your's you were not. We agree to disagree.
First off let me say that I didn't send you a PM. Also, I would not be in the least bit offended if someone did what I and several others did in this thread, and I feel confident that Angie feels the same way, but I can't speak for her. Matter of fact if the shoes were reversed I would have felt pleased that others could have some fun with the situation provided that didn't make it personal by directing their pokes directly at me rather than the situation. I do have a sense of humor and should since I dishing out enough of it myself!

I also want to say that it was not just you that aggravated me. There were three others that added to the aggravation, especially when the negativity first introduced itself - before your post was made. That poster however has pretty much shown his character numerous times in the past and their causing problems didn't come as a surprise me in the least. I feel confident that many others recognize that fact as well! There's even more that aggravates me as a result of this thread, but it doesn't involve your comments and I don't care to go into it and won't go into it!

So exactly what was said that was directed at the OP that would lead you to believe that I (or anyone else for that matter) "poked fun" at the poster rather than the squeak or the vehicle? I never did poke fun at the OP and the only thing that even came close to that was what I said in what I quoted above. Even then one would have to make in incorrect assumption that it was directed at the OP, and you know what they say about assumptions! Either way, that statement was never designed or intended to be about or refer to the OP.

Something else that after the fact makes me wonder about the OP! Was it a serious question being posed, was he legitimate, or was it someone, possibly a regular poster under a different account who posted solely to create a situation they could later start something over? It's funny that it was their first post, and to date they have only made 2 posts in that account, both on this same thread. My concern for that being the case strongly increased when out of the blue that suspected individual made a negative comment which I believe influenced your comments, knowingly or unknowingly, and the comments of a few others.

It's also interesting the the suspected individual didn't join in after the fact, like... lying low if you know what I mean! Add to that what I've already stated; I wrote to the OP after your post where I included an apology if something I said did offend them. Still to date I have not received a response to either accept my apology or to tell me to go to h***! So with all of that, how am I not to think that a troll is responsible for all this! Now, I'm not naming names because I can be totally wrong about this and don't want to make any unfounded accusations, and because simply put... I shouldn't do so openly! I do wish though that I had the capability to check the IP addresses involved, like the admin can, so I could either dispel or confirm my suspicions!

BTW, their being a "Just for Fun" forum doesn't mean that you can't have fun outside of it. If that were the case the discussions could get pretty boring and I've already seen myself being less interested in the threads since this all began. I know some may misinterpret the humor, but there is nothing I can do about that! I think others are now afraid to inject humor to an extent because of the mild bashing (but bashing none-the-less) I and several others have taken within this thread! Similar sediments have even been suggested to me since I curtailed my postings!

As for you apology, I accept you word when you say that you did not intend to drive us away and I for one will accept your apology if you in exchange will show me and the others enough respect to PM us if you have an issue like this or complaining to the admin if you feel it's serious enough to complain about and you feel that we are not approachable!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
....And if you sent me a PM, I never got it.
It just came to my attention that you stated the above and I have to ask where was it that I stated that I sent you one? I don't recall ever having saying that I sent you one! Please quote the exact post where it occurred!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
So sorry that your question has turned into a joke. Are you still having the problem? Can you supply the symptoms, year/make/model. Try to give as much info as possible.
Hey skyguy, you forgot to include me in your speech. I want credit for being the first one to insinuate that some were turning this post into a joke. It was such a nice speech too.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Default I agree

I totally agree with 12ridehd.
Skyguy (along with others) used his mocking on occasions to put my posts and others down. Sorry- they are still doing it. Hard to figure out why they do it??
I just ignore. I have too many face to face friends and have lived here too long to spend time on this board. Too many fun things going on here.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
TOTV Moderator

Folks,
May I comment a bit?

I can clearly see a few sides to this. First, I see that this question was posted in the helping hands forum. That would tell me that perhaps this person was really seeking some kind of help. Some folks are just not that good with cars, and do not trust a dealer. To them it would be priceless to just have one helpful neighbor who knows cars a bit better give it a 10 minute check before they risk getting ripped off by a bad shop. Especially if the person may be a widow, etc.

Some here did offer some help. Granted, there was not too much to go on. We have not heard from the original person since....so perhaps they were discouraged or scared away. I sincerely hope not.

On the other hand, The Villages is a very "happy and fun" place, so joking comes naturally. I understand that and can joke with the best of them.

Perhaps in the future when we do joke, we attempt to balance our post with some serious help also, so as to not offend.

I'm a real do it yourselfer. I built my own house, delivered my own kids, etc. But I also understand that as awesome as The Villages is, that if someone was alone it can also be a difficult place if you do not know how to keep a car, a home, etc working well.

As to the more light hearted posts here, I do not want to offend you either. For the record, some of them were quite funny....I'm glad we have a "Just for fun" forum just for that reason....

Since we have not heard more from the original poster, I think this thread has run it's course and I'll just close it.

Respectfully, "One of the Mods"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.