Can a broken corner of a glass door be fixed?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2022, 01:16 PM
Default Can a broken corner of a glass door be fixed?

I have a large cylindrical 74" display case. 25" diameter. Half is acrylic and other 1/4 inch glass. The glass side serves as the door. While moving, the top corner snapped off in two pieces. Not large pieces and not load bearing. Is it possible to repair? If so, any recommendations as to who could?

Impossible to simply replace the door; can't even find the item anymore.

(Been looking for an item like this for YEARS. Found it for sale on FB Market Place. Drove to Ocala, packed it, moved it and got it within ten feet of my front door and broke it. If I can'f fix it I'm shoot myself for my stupidity!)

Regards, Chris
Old 11-27-2022, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

I would call Lake Glass, 352-787-4700, in Leesburg. I doubt that they would repair it, but they may be able to make a replacement piece of glass.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

I would be glad to look at this, do you have the pieces for glass that broke? If so I would use E6000 or crazy glue (gel type) and glue the pieces back into place. If you do not have the pieces of glass this will be much more difficult. The other possibility would be to replace the broken glass with Plexiglas or a similar plastic/acrylic, especially if this is a flat piece. If this is a rounded piece, then the plastic/acrylic would need to be heated and bent into shape.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:48 PM

I'm entertaining all ideas. Prince is no object. lol. Hard to find another item like this. Tricky thing is the door is concave. But I'll definitely call in the morning. Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 11-27-2022, 04:58 PM

Hi Village Tinker. Yes, I have the pieces. It's thick glass so I think there's a good chance they could be fitted back into place. Just two large pieces. Know it won't be perfect but that's ok. Don't trust myself to try gluing myself until I'm out of options. (Wish I could include a photo but don't know have a https place to load it.)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeferinspace View Post
Hi Village Tinker. Yes, I have the pieces. It's thick glass so I think there's a good chance they could be fitted back into place. Just two large pieces. Know it won't be perfect but that's ok. Don't trust myself to try gluing myself until I'm out of options. (Wish I could include a photo but don't know have a https place to load it.)
I sent you a Private message.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would call Lake Glass, 352-787-4700, in Leesburg. I doubt that they would repair it, but they may be able to make a replacement piece of glass.
Agree. Good folks to deal with and they may have a solution. And another alternative avenue might be those folks that repair auto glass. Suggest you also take up the Tinker on his offer.

Last edited by Sandy and Ed; 11-29-2022 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Z
Old 11-29-2022, 10:04 AM

Thanks so much for the direct reply. My phone won’t opening it but I’ll check on my laptop soon. Grateful. Regards.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:21 AM
Default Copper foil stained glass method maybe?

It would help if you posted a picture of the broken glass. Glue would work but another option might be to connect the two pieces using a process stained glass artists use called copper foil (she said not being able to see the damage). Copper foil would be more visible but if it's in the back of the cabinet you might not notice it and it would be a stronger fix.

For reference the copper foil method is used for creating stained glass lamps. And they are incredibly strong. Just an idea
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-30-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I would be glad to look at this, do you have the pieces for glass that broke? If so I would use E6000 or crazy glue (gel type) and glue the pieces back into place. If you do not have the pieces of glass this will be much more difficult. The other possibility would be to replace the broken glass with Plexiglas or a similar plastic/acrylic, especially if this is a flat piece. If this is a rounded piece, then the plastic/acrylic would need to be heated and bent into shape.
You are always do helpful! A joy to read your replies,
Old 11-30-2022, 08:49 PM
Sage

We have scheduled an in-person meeting with the broken glass, from photos it appears to be repairable, and thank you for your kind words. I will report on success or failure of this project.

Tags
glass, door, pieces, item, corner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.