Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

A vow? Never seen that in an ad.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
From "The Villages" Trademark website:

"Because “The Villages” is also the name of our community, we understand there are times when folks have to use “The Villages” to refer to our community, inform customers that they serve the needs of our residents, or are located convenient to the community’s boundaries. Such uses are “fair uses” so long as they refer to the community without implying any official connection with it or The Villages Companies or their licensees. Problems can arise, however, if third parties use “The Villages” as a trademark or in some way that makes it hard for consumers to tell whether or not they are affiliated with or endorsed by The Villages Companies."

Of course, there is more detailed info on the website below.

It's all spelled out for businesses to read. And, from what I can discern, they are completely within the Trademark rules.

And I'm sure the roofing company appreciates your concern for their business...

Hey there, Mintz,

Class act that I am, I stand corrected.

Thank you.

I had not looked that part up. I was basing the ‘The’ “advice” on a situation several years back when there was great consternation in the land over the rights to the ‘The’ in naming a local business. In that situation the ‘The’ was dropped by the one who had used it innocently enough.

As far as roofing history goes — a long time ago, when we bought in the LSL area — so we could be among the “abominable” snowbirds — we were surprised to get a new roof free because there had been an ongoing issue with the developer and the POA and the shingles manufacturer. I guess there had been quite a battle, but we got there at the very end and even as second owners, we got the free roof replacement. So that is what I meant by roofing history being a little sensitive here.

So those were my own points of reference. I guess that qualifies as a primary source because I was writing as a witness to both occasions because I saw them happen. But I did not look up what you looked up, so I appreciate knowing the official statement as it now stands. I am glad you told me, and I am glad you told the people who are advertising here — if they’re reading all this. (I like to see businesses succeed. My morning post was not a criticism, just a heads up.)

(Mickey and Minnie though……I bet I am right on that.)

Btw, I appreciate your being so matter of fact in your response. The issue needed addressing because it needed an update. Thanks.

Looks like another poster here has decided to slam me personally, although she has no idea who I am or what I do with my real time. Hahahahaha.

Perhaps I should address that post, too. Maybe later…….

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-08-2023 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-08-2023, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Skylight Roofing is not the only company that uses "The Villages" in their advertising. "The Villages Hometown Property Management Company" actually has it as part of their name. Until recently, I thought they were owned and operated by The Villages. But, when I called them and asked, they told me that they are a private company and not associated with The Villages. Go figure.
How can "The Villages Hometown Property Management Company" not be owned by the developer?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:07 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
Who was voted #2 & #3?
Must have missed the posting of the results, #1, #2 and so on. In fact, missed the entire vote ! Didn't even know when and where we, The Villages, were supposed to go to vote ! Was it entirely "mail in ballots" ? Maybe only people who got a new roof in the 1st quarter from any company were invited to vote ?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:21 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I just find it odd that they would claim to be voted #1 but not say where. I don’t like unsubstantiated claims.
Of course maybe "lie" is a little strong because who really knows, but...yes, it is definitely a bit "ODD" when anyone , product, business, claims to have been voted # ONE, and those reading have no idea what so ever of the circumstances, who sponsors such a vote in the industry, just on and on. Anyone remember the old "more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette" ? Where ? What country, Camels (US brand were seen all over the world at the time), what "doctors" ? Medical ? PhD's ? Did it include those with honorary doctorates ? These types of claims are as old as I can remember, and so silly. Speaking of, there is a constant TV commercial by a one time presidential hopeful. Now does constant ads for a sleep inducing product. So funny. Says the product not in any way addictive, SO IT CAN BE USED EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I just find that so amusing, not addictive so you can use it constantly. If you loose out on the office you run for, at least you can get a day job hawking sleep potions I guess... LOL ! Nothing against recognizable people taking money to do ads, that's their choice, some hawk gold, some hawk "reverse" mortgages, and so on, I just find the wording of so many of these really amusing is all.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
How can "The Villages Hometown Property Management Company" not be owned by the developer?
I don't know, but that is what they told me when I called them recently.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,302 Times in 560 Posts

A ten year roof is all we need !
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, roofing, skylight, honest, insurance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.