Copy Cat Business Name?

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Default Copy Cat Business Name?

I have used Shield Home Watch numerous times and their service is impeccable! I am shocked and dismayed to find another new company using their name and logo by adding the word Gold in their title. The lack of creativity on their part is really sad.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Gold member

May be a copyright infringement. Hopefully they will be challenged.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysglitter View Post
I have used Shield Home Watch numerous times and their service is impeccable! I am shocked and dismayed to find another new company using their name and logo by adding the word Gold in their title. The lack of creativity on their part is really sad.
It sounds to me that "Shield Home Watch" is a franchise
and if a franchisee's territory isn't protected,
then any area is up for grabs.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

I also get hits for Gold Shield Home watch, for Silver shield home watch and for American shield home watch. So who or what is the company with which you have been doing business and feel is being copied? I note this is your first post, welcome to the TOTV.

I did find a florida registration for Shield Home Watch from April 2014 to Daniel Zlotek in Lady Lake.

www.sunbiz.org - Fictitious Name Inquire by Name
enter into the search box whatever name of interest. There are registrations for American shield and Silver shield but not for Gold Shield home watch.

I find a website for gold shield home watch, owned by a retired policeman and wife in the villages. There is not a fictitious name registration but rather a corporate LLC registration for Gold Shield Home Watch services filed with the state on Aug 26 2014
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Cor...r=L14000133595

The Florida website does say this about registering a fictitious name
Quote:
Registration under the Fictitious Name Act is for public notice only and gives rise to no presumption of the registrant's rights to own or use the name registered nor does it affect trademark, service mark, or corporate name rights previously acquired by others in the same or similar name. Registration under this section does not reserve a fictitious name against future use.
So, it would seem both companies have done filing in Florida to satisfy the right to use the names chosen. But I have no legal training so don't trust me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	shield.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	46894  

Last edited by blueash; 01-07-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.