Be Very Careful at the Gates

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2021, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Wisbad, hopefully you too will someday be old with not much time left.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:31 AM
Veteran member

There are some very rude drivers out there who will travel through the vistor gate, attendant or not, and try to get ahead of the person who was at the gate before they pulled up.

If you have to accelerate quickly to beat the vehicle in the resident lane then you are a jerk.

Last edited by ithos; 06-25-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:58 AM
Sage

IF you're in your golf cart, it's you who should be watching and doubly careful crossing by the gates. Cars have the right of way and not the carts, despite all the folks who think otherwise. To try to beat a car could be tempting an accident. I don't feel it's up to the attendant to keep the cars from hitting you. As someone else stated it's called "defensive" driving!
Old 06-25-2021, 05:59 AM

Never assume, you check anywhere and anytime you are merging with traffic. You scare me.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:03 AM

Worse yet is the rude lazy driver who piggybacks the gate as to u go through. They are to lazy to open their window and push the button so they attach their front to your rear and get through the gate with you. Now what happens when you have to stop short for the defenseless rabbit crossing in front of you on the otherwise if the gate? Best us as they are trying to get through on your tail they get annoyed and honk for you to move!.Gates are a waste. One car at a time . That I s what the sign says. Reading the sign? Nope just doing what they want.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Someone that lives North of 466A.
This wins post of the day!
Old 06-25-2021, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Too many people forget that it's their responsibility when they drive not to get into accidents. Also too many people forget that there's something called your neck and your head and your eyes. Your head is attacked your neck which acts as an operating place to turn and swivel. Your eyes act as a connection to your brain which should tell you when it's safe to go and not to go and if you going to the gate and not looking to your left also and to your right you're not driving correctly. By the way when you go through the gate you don't oil you put your foot on the gas and go not one mile an hour not five but 10 15 and 20 to get the way from the entrance. It's the same thing with the traffic circles it's up to you to decide whether it's safe to merge or not merge or exit. And by the way there's this thing on your hands called fingers, they are there to push your turn signals up or down to tell other people you're going to go to the left or right not too many people remember how to do this after all it's been 50 years for you since you've had drivers ed I think every year you should have a refresher course cuz I always say no one in The villages understands we have all these wonderful electronic lights on our cars telling other people what the hell we're going to do
Old 06-25-2021, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

///
Old 06-25-2021, 06:42 AM

No matter what YOU are still the DRIVER of the vehicle. You never give up that responsibility. Residents use their card or push button to open the Resident gate and enter. Gate Attendants lift the visitor's gate. The gate arms are usually in different positions so that the resident side has a shorter length to drive when entering, than the visitor. If all is equal this allows for traffic to be able to merge in an orderly manner. However, if the resident opens the gate and then delays moving &/or the visitor hits the gas, all bets are off. Yes the attendant should be attempting to blend the movement of both lanes but YOU ARE STILL THE DRIVER.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I definitely agree with everyone saying defensive driving is a necessity, ALWAYS.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 AM

This has happened to me several times at a gate. Not realizing there was a car in the Visitor lane, it’s scary. They drive by with high speed and you can easily be sideswiped. You have to be very aware driving in TV.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:35 AM

It always amazed me that the gate attendants are clueless about this kind of situation. What exactly are they getting paid to do?
Old 06-25-2021, 08:23 AM

If the "other drivers" bother you because they don't follow the rules or drive with consideration then.... get a very large old beat up truck and ignore those "other drivers". You probably won't have any issues with them encroaching on your space. If a crummy big truck isn't your thing then just let the "jerks" go... sooner or later they'll get their due.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:30 AM

I use the Bailey trail entrance by Lake Miona quite often. It seems as though the gate keeper will raise the "visitors" gate as soon as a vehicle appears. This lets the one coming through the visitors gate just keep on coming. I have had your experience several times.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
DANGER AT THE GATES
You need to be extra cautious going through the gates here in The Villages, especially the gate at Miona Recreation Center at Buena Vista and Bailey Trail. I guess I am just not a very attentive and careful driver. Several times I have come up the resident gate, had the crossing arm raise, go through and almost get hit by a car that came through on the visitors’ side. The gate attendant, I would think, would make certain that only one car at a time went through either of the two gates. But many times, I have approached the gate with no other car behind me, had my crossing arm raise up and, voila, I was almost side swiped by a car on my left. The gate attendant raised the gate either simultaneously with my gate or immediately after my gate started opening. Be very, very careful. I just be the only driver to have this happen or, I am sure that the attendants would have been given specific instructions against this possible, dangerous situation.
Are you a really slow driver? If so that could be one reason this happens. When the same thing happens to a person over and over its often that person's own behaviors that contribute to the problem. Not that its bad to drive slow, but it does cause issues for other drivers.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, car, gates, careful, crossing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.