Be Very Careful at the Gates

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2021, 08:50 AM

I have noticed this at this same gate. Since it has an attendant that is who opens the gate! It is really bad at Morse and 466. They used to stop drivers at the guest line and ask them some questions. It kept people who were not guests from going straight through and slowed things down. It is dangerous now!
Old 06-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Are you a really slow driver? If so that could be one reason this happens. When the same thing happens to a person over and over its often that person's own behaviors that contribute to the problem. Not that its bad to drive slow, but it does cause issues for other drivers.
The issue isn't the slow drivers. It is the rude drivers with the lead foot.

Sometimes they maybe are being defensive and making sure you are not going to race them out of the gates.

There is nothing wrong proceeding in the visitor lane once the gate opens just do it at a reasonable speed and so that there is time to react if the driver in the other lane who is ahead of you also starts to drive forward.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiebel View Post
I have noticed this at this same gate. Since it has an attendant that is who opens the gate! It is really bad at Morse and 466. They used to stop drivers at the guest line and ask them some questions. It kept people who were not guests from going straight through and slowed things down. It is dangerous now!
Amen!

This is by far the worst in the Villages.

The other big problem there is when the attendant spends too much time answering questions and the traffic backs up to 466.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
DANGER AT THE GATES
You need to be extra cautious going through the gates here in The Villages, especially the gate at Miona Recreation Center at Buena Vista and Bailey Trail. I guess I am just not a very attentive and careful driver. Several times I have come up the resident gate, had the crossing arm raise, go through and almost get hit by a car that came through on the visitors’ side. The gate attendant, I would think, would make certain that only one car at a time went through either of the two gates. But many times, I have approached the gate with no other car behind me, had my crossing arm raise up and, voila, I was almost side swiped by a car on my left. The gate attendant raised the gate either simultaneously with my gate or immediately after my gate started opening. Be very, very careful. I just be the only driver to have this happen or, I am sure that the attendants would have been given specific instructions against this possible, dangerous situation.
That same thing happened to me last week. I was surprised when I looked over and another vehicle was right next to me! Scary!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:40 AM

At our Hillsboro gate on the Buena Vista entrance the attendance do a great job of gate control during the heavy traffic part of the day when all the contractors are coming in and out of our entrance.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
DANGER AT THE GATES
You need to be extra cautious going through the gates here in The Villages, especially the gate at Miona Recreation Center at Buena Vista and Bailey Trail. I guess I am just not a very attentive and careful driver. Several times I have come up the resident gate, had the crossing arm raise, go through and almost get hit by a car that came through on the visitors’ side. The gate attendant, I would think, would make certain that only one car at a time went through either of the two gates. But many times, I have approached the gate with no other car behind me, had my crossing arm raise up and, voila, I was almost side swiped by a car on my left. The gate attendant raised the gate either simultaneously with my gate or immediately after my gate started opening. Be very, very careful. I just be the only driver to have this happen or, I am sure that the attendants would have been given specific instructions against this possible, dangerous situation.
I usually have people tailgate me through the automatic open gates, but yesterday I had someone tailgate me through the gate when I used my gate pass. I didn't think this was possible, but it happened. Gonna be a little more cautious in the future.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanC View Post
It always amazed me that the gate attendants are clueless about this kind of situation. What exactly are they getting paid to do?
They are paid to answer questions visitors might have, not to act like a traffic cop. You are responsible for your own safety.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
The streets in TV are public (that means tax payer financed) roadways. TV does not have the legal right to stop and question anyone who wants to drive on those streets.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
Amen!

This is by far the worst in the Villages.

The other big problem there is when the attendant spends too much time answering questions and the traffic backs up to 466.
Really? The guard is expected to stop and question why some one wants to enter the village but isn't supposed to back up traffic? How is the guard supposed to do that??
Old 06-25-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Gate attendants don't ask people questions, they answer questions from drivers.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:11 PM

guess I am just not a very attentive and careful driver.

That is the key to your problem. You are dealing from many different kinds of people. Many are on drugs, prescribed by the Dr but oh well. Please do not blame the $8.00 attendant. Drivers, not you don't care.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:02 PM
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
The visitors gate opens by hitting a red button I believe, the attendant does not open them. Many gates have a merge like this plus you can have carts crossing.
Gates that have an attendant operate the gate. 50% of them seem to have no training and are a waiting accident to happen.

Course when it does it's your fault for proceeding.

Just like the roundabouts be careful.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:06 PM
Default 20 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave from deland View Post
Gate attendants don't ask people questions, they answer questions from drivers.
20 years ago they used to stop you and ask who/where you were visiting. It added to the false sense of security (gated community) and seemed friendly and careing.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Really? The guard is expected to stop and question why some one wants to enter the village but isn't supposed to back up traffic? How is the guard supposed to do that??
The guards are not asking questions now. It is when someone is asking for directions is when there is a problem with it being backed up . What they are sometimes doing now is opening the gate well before they approach so the vehicles do not even slow down. That is how I almost was side swiped. I would just be content if they made them slow down to a few miles an hour unless their are no cars in the other lane.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:13 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderfulwendy1 View Post
Never assume, you check anywhere and anytime you are merging with traffic. You scare me.
Welcome to The Villages Wendy
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, car, gates, careful, crossing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.