“In the stock market, the most important organ is the stomach. It’s not the brain.”

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2022, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

FYI, passive investments doesn't scale, and when attempted, such as now, will cause increased volatility by reducing trading float. . same demand, cut the supply in half, prices get more volatile based upon active management demand/supply valuations. . . So investing and trading doesn't scale forever, is non linear, has physical and virtual limits, for normal human survival brains, is counter intuitive. . . makes it a very difficult game to win [b]consistently[b/], but you don't have to win, you just have to survive and avoid the pitfalls.

The first key is that due to survivorship bias, the market has an inherent growth bias, which is from bottom left to top right.
The second key is that the daily market goes up 70% of the time from buying, limited to daily dollars
the daily market goes down 30% of the time, from lack of buying at prior prices. . . unlimited downside potential

if the down moves are 2-3X percentage of the up moves. . it pays to just avoid or profit from the down days. . . so identifying those days and weeks are the key to survival and consistent growth.

simple. . right?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
You seem quite knowledgeably in finance. Are you presently selling financial instruments? In the state of Florida ? If you are selling what are your credentials ? Education, licenses, fiduciary, specialties. etc.
When you see me selling something, please turn me in. and I have answered this question before. . . Typing that I did something is not selling something, its a statement of historical fact. Telling you that I am doing something, is not selling anything. now I know who the google lawyer is . .

Corporate finance professional 30 years , operational BS and 8 years petroleum operational experience. MBA in finance, have worked valuing companies to buy and sell at a holding company, buying and selling financial companies. Have published a market forecasting article, and have traded options and stocks for 40 years . . with trading and investing experience in more than equities.

you don't need a license to understand the market, you don't need a license to type about markets, otherwise the investment club would be in violation as well.

And i took my Linkedin profile down since the next two years is my last rodeo, and workign in finance in critical national infrastructure makes me a russian or otherwise hacking and phishing target. . have seen it, I will attend the investment club when i retire in TV/ / so you are warned, and please assemble your legal team to monitor whatever I say or do. . . just be sure to pay for their lunch to make it worthwhile
Old 01-26-2022, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
When you see me selling something, please turn me in. and I have answered this question before. . . Typing that I did something is not selling something, its a statement of historical fact. Telling you that I am doing something, is not selling anything. now I know who the google lawyer is . .

Corporate finance professional 30 years , operational BS and 8 years petroleum operational experience. MBA in finance, have worked valuing companies to buy and sell at a holding company, buying and selling financial companies. Have published a market forecasting article, and have traded options and stocks for 40 years . . with trading and investing experience in more than equities.

you don't need a license to understand the market, you don't need a license to type about markets, otherwise the investment club would be in violation as well.

And i took my Linkedin profile down since the next two years is my last rodeo, and workign in finance in critical national infrastructure makes me a russian or otherwise hacking and phishing target. . have seen it, I will attend the investment club when i retire in TV/ / so you are warned, and please assemble your legal team to monitor whatever I say or do. . . just be sure to pay for their lunch to make it worthwhile
Thank you. Your financial advice seems very sound and backed by experience. If you were a professional in the business I was interested in being a potential client. Sorry I did not see your disclosure of not selling financial instruments or services. I am very cautious about taking financial advice from amateurs (overwhelming the majority claim they are winners) or advisors that represent a certain type of instrument. Now I know your not a professional advisor but simply a successful amateur I can continue my search for a professional with accountability and integrity including not measuring their success from market lows - it's like snipe hunting.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

during a routine physical exam decades ago, my primary care guy and I started talking about investing...he had an interesting observation

'Leaving all my money in the stock market feels like putting it on a table in Vegas'

there was a memo that went out about diversification a few years back

There's lots of advice out there, best I've heard is develop a plan, and stick with it
Old 01-26-2022, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

We call it " Wall Street Roulette"
Old 01-26-2022, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Well, FYI for dividend stocks, dividends paid out of increased debt versus cash from operations is not a sustainable mgmt decision. ie, see GE, General Electric which did just that. Only invest in companies with dividends from cash flow from operations, that's not the earnings per share, the answer is on the cash flow statement.

Market timing does work, but its not for everyone because you have to reprogram your lizard brain, the linear extrapolation part which humans have built into their survival reactions. . . Trust me, I had to go through that the hard way, which most traders and market timers do. Cost me personally 1/2 Million . . Market timing long term trends, ie multi year trends, is the way to go. This January was very profitable for me on the short side, day trading, as there are short term signals embedded in options stats, option greeks and other market data points which can signal certain movements. . . its not easy, its very hard to do consistently, but keep the trade sizes below the risk of ruin, and practice the skill and one can learn it. There is no educational course to qualify anyone, as trading is all a learned skill because you have to retain your brain's normal survival skills that fear is good and greed is bad. FYI, SP500 fair market value, is about 3000 to 3500, depending upon earnings with normal non pandemic expenses ratios, which i will then put my 401K from all cash bonds back into stocks, which i pulled out of last August.

Inflation is an imbalance of supply and demand, like a unicycle, the seat moves and the wheel moves. Only when they are in perfect balance does inflation not move. . . demand is the seat, supply is the wheel. . the problem with most TV aged inhabitants is that they associate inflation with the 1970's inflation spiral. increasing inflation from 2% to 5% is not an inflation spiral, due to fed actions and temporary supply chain disruptions. Both can be reversed

However, the inflation engine right now which will be with us for awhile is labor inflation. two long term effects: shrinking human population, even here in the US, and the job/education imbalance between blue collar and office jobs. Technology is displacing human jobs, I have done it personally with programming, taking a 4-6 hour manual job and replacing it with 15 minute programming and key strokes, to overnight automation coding. The lack of specialized manual labor and a shrinking labor supply will persist, and keep an inflation floor. . . the hidden effect is that fewer middle class white collar consumers will mean that maintaining current corporate growth rates will require hire retail prices. . . so something has to give in awhile. .
Three thoughts on the above. First, it’s nice to see someone still doing detailed fundamental analysis (tearing apart a companies income statement, balance sheet, and sources and uses of funds) to identify exactly what sources of funds are being used to pay dividends. Second, your inflation argument is mostly correct, but is missing one key component. When looking at supply and demand, one must consider money supply into the demand equation for goods and services. The irresponsible actions of the Federal reserve, since the recovery of the housing market bubble burst in 2007/2008, of non stop pumping trillions of new dollars into the money supply (termed quantitative easing) has dramatically increased the money supply to unprecedented and dangerous levels. Those actions created so much more money supply, all chasing the same goods and services, that hyper inflation was eventually inevitable regardless of shortages in supply chains or labor. Think of your unicycle example, the circumference of the wheel of the cycle (money supply) has been increased dramatically, so every pedal covers much more ground (translated into everything costs more). Third, you remind me of me when I was still working. By that, I mean work has you trapped not being able to schedule your free time to be outdoors getting exercise all day. Your channeling all the time work has you trapped by a computer into analysis and trading. I get it, been there and done that, and extremely glad those days are over. Now that my schedule is mine, and not dictated by an employer, I put our savings in index funds and forget about them. Now I can use the time to figure out how to squeeze in exercising the dog, working on the yard, swimming laps, golfing, a bike ride, and doing some weight training every day. Dude, you need to retire, it’s sooooooooo liberating : )
Old 01-26-2022, 10:31 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
during a routine physical exam decades ago, my primary care guy and I started talking about investing...he had an interesting observation

'Leaving all my money in the stock market feels like putting it on a table in Vegas'

Hopefully he is better his pointer finger than investment philosophy.

Tags
market, it’s, “in, lynch, peter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.