8% investment return advertised in the Village Sun

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Default 8% investment return advertised in the Village Sun

I wonder if someone could explain the 8% return as advertised in the Village Sun paper. I am of the belief that if sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Bernie Madoff?

I meant to keep a copy of the paper with the ad, however it was discarded when we left the Villages. Lots of ads that seem to good to be true in that paper. Loose 3 inches off your waist in a week etc.

Any comments ?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Hutch View Post
I wonder if someone could explain the 8% return as advertised in the Village Sun paper. I am of the belief that if sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Bernie Madoff?

I meant to keep a copy of the paper with the ad, however it was discarded when we left the Villages. Lots of ads that seem to good to be true in that paper. Loose 3 inches off your waist in a week etc.

Any comments ?
My only comment would be I get a 10 to 15% return on my investments and always have even in a recession...I invest in simple terms and only in things I totally understand ... So if you don't understand , stay away !
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum member

It is probably an offering for an annuity. I invested in an annuity about three years ago that guarantees 7.5% minimum with a possibility of a higher return if certain investment opportunities (different stock markets) give a higher annual return.

I avoided annuities for years but at my advanced age I have chosen to take this guaranteed rate rather than risk the volatility of the stock market.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueandskip View Post
My only comment would be I get a 10 to 15% return on my investments and always have even in a recession...I invest in simple terms and only in things I totally understand ... So if you don't understand , stay away !
"10-15 % even in a recession" Hmmmmmmm?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 AM

I would have to agree with Challenger, “10-15 % EVEN in a recession “ Hmmmmmmmmmm? Consistently would be Wow....
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
10 to 15 % after the greatest financial crash since the Great Depression,..................Interesting to say the least.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Sage

8% sounds like a very high risk investment. Did they mention the downside of that investment vehicle?

Like you said, "if it sounds too good to be true".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My neighbor checked into one of those ads one time, and it turned out to be an annuity from an insurance company . It was an introductory rate for like 3 months, when it would then drop back to the regular rate which was nowhere near 8%. And she was told you could only put in $2500.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM

This particular ad was white print against a black background, it said you could get $500 (a month?) back on a 1 year investment of $75,000. Again, the ad appeared every day in the Villages Daily Sun while we were there on our one week Life Style Visit. I wish the paper I was going to save wasn't discarded.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM

If I am not mistaken, that ad is from Bridgewellcapital.com. I checked into this and it is all on the up and up. It is a company that loans money to people to get a home loan. It is backed by insurance, The downside is this-

Say Mr and Mrs Joe Blow, credit not very good, get approved for a home loan. The company takes your money to buy their home. Mr. Joe B. just lost his job, does not make payments. House goes into foreclosure. You will eventually get your $$ when the home finally gets sold again.

May take awhile. Go on their website and read the facts. The money is there to be made. I'm not saying that people are going to default on their loans. Probably very tiny amount. Just be aware that if they do, you might have to wait for your $$.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Gold member

There is no "always" anything in investing. There is some risk to any investment. The more the return, the more the risk is a good rule to follow. Even professional investors do not beat the S&P500 Index Funds over time. Investors who believe they have an angle or are smarter than others, are prime targets for scammers.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Hutch View Post
This particular ad was white print against a black background, it said you could get $500 (a month?) back on a 1 year investment of $75,000. Again, the ad appeared every day in the Villages Daily Sun while we were there on our one week Life Style Visit. I wish the paper I was going to save wasn't discarded.
People just want to BELIEVE.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Very Very good. Could you tell us what to invest in?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Sage

You can do your own short term RE mortgage investment in TV, where the buyers have minor issuers.
At least if there was an issue you know this market and you could recoup your investment.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
"10-15 % even in a recession" Hmmmmmmm?
Charles Ponzi is smiling from his residence in h*ll, P. T. Barnum is just shaking his head, and i have some swamp land..........."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.