Advice pls

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2020, 06:42 AM
Default 401k Distribution

If your taxable income this year without a 401k distribution is below $80,250, you may want to consider taking a distribution this year to bring your TI up to $80,250. The withdrawal will be taxed at the 12% rate level. It's unlikely you will be able to withdraw at that low rate in the foreseeable future. Rolling it into a Roth would seem to be a wise move.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I did the same thing, that's the way to go, convert it to an IRA. Eventually you will need to make withdrawals, when you do , if you don't need the $$$, put it into a Roth IRA. That way you can keep it invested and it's tax-free from that point on - after you pay taxes on the amount you convert of course.
Agree with this approach (with caveat that we don’t know all the particulars of your situation, and suggest that a CFM can better help you sort this out). If you believe that capital gains taxes are going to increase in coming years, roll the 401k over into a Roth this upcoming tax season, pay the lower tax rate on the gains, then enjoy tax-free withdrawals at RMD (or earlier).
Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts
Default From the question asked, I would recommend a CFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
Now that I've finally retired what do I do with my 401k. Don't anticipate needing the money but don't want to lose it either. Appreciate your inputs.
As a long time corporate finance manager, your question indicates that you would probably benefit from a Certified Financial Planner, CFP. That way, the CFP could explain the investment risks and strategies, tax implications, and how a trust(s) would help your entire estate.

An employer sponsored 401(k) has limited options, and moving to a self directed IRA will provide more investment options, able to be tailored to your risk profile, which is the reason why posters recommend you change custodians or financial service companies.

However, without understanding the size of your estate and investments, there are tax favorable strategies for taking larger distributions than the minimum at different times. If you don't need the money, then leaving a distribution in a taxable account with proper investment strategy is a future step

But get some professional tax and investment help
Old 12-17-2020, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Now that I've finally retired what do I do with my 401k. Don't anticipate needing the money but don't want to lose it either. Appreciate your inputs.
Hire a financial advisor. I wouldnt take advice from random people
Old 12-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest that you set up an IRA account with Vanguard or another low cost investment company. Then, do a direct transfer of all assets from the 401K account into the IRA, and maintain a similar asset allocation. I would not feel comfortable leaving my money in a 401K plan when an IRA allows me to totally control the assets and how they are invested. And, you will probably save money on the management fees. It was one of the first things I did when I retired.
Did the same in 2014. Moved 401K into IRA. Had a financial advisor. Never looked back. IRA opens up everything to you. 401K locks you into what your company's group selected for you to invest into.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:09 AM
Default 401K advice

Be careful with the advice of everyone here on converting your 401K. That is not always the best advice depending on your specific options for investment with who your past company has managing as well as the fees. Example, i converted my 401K to an IRA and have an outside management company managing it. We left my wife's with Fidelity who was the management company of her 401k from work. There are many investment options including targeted funds like the 2020 vangard fund mentioned. The fees are a flat $6.00 per quarter. There are no advisors that are going to charge you so low, example i pay .75% and most of the companies i interviewed charged 1% to 1.5% depending on the size of your 401k. So my IRA now had to make almost .74% more that her 401k before they are even.
The other side of this is what is included for the management fee they charge. My IRA is with Personal Capital and they provide other services that were important to me like current/long term spending planning, prior tax year review as well as current planning, estate planning, etc. Think about what types of services you want to include for what you are going to pay. Interview at least 3 or 4 and not only ones here in The Villages. There are good advisors that do more over Zoom and occasional onsite meetings and that is why I went with Personal Capital. Been over a year and they seem to be doing more than what I expected.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

we have good luck with Fidelity, & use managed accounts. this can earn xtra $$, but whatever you earn is considered income by the IRS. is something to keep in mind, but sometimes that $$ can make all the difference in keeping up with unexpected expenses.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
My 401K provider allows me to keep the money with them and continue to manage it. I cannot make further contributions (I'm retired after all) but I don't need to move it.

You can also move it to another managed IRA, perhaps with a financial planner or investment adviser. Just be careful about how you move the money so it doesn't get taxed along the way.
I have a 401K in the same status; I agree with the response issued in the above post.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Default Get a Financial Advisor

Quote:
If you are asking here it would seem that you need a qualified financial advisor. This group will perform heart surgery if you ask about it! You might want to ask about recommendations for a FA and you should get a sufficient number of good suggestions to start your interviewing process.

FA's are worth their weight in gold as they can suggest the appropriate way to grow the money, protect from taxes, and consider heirs in the planning based on your personal situation.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

that was why i mentioned Fidelity. their advisors can answer all kinds of questions we can't here. it would be wise for OP to do constructive investigating before making any financial decisions.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Default 401k

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest that you set up an IRA account with Vanguard or another low cost investment company. Then, do a direct transfer of all assets from the 401K account into the IRA, and maintain a similar asset allocation. I would not feel comfortable leaving my money in a 401K plan when an IRA allows me to totally control the assets and how they are invested. And, you will probably save money on the management fees. It was one of the first things I did when I retired.
excellent answer. we did that and then when we moved here we went to A financial planner and put everything in an annuity, sorry we did.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Enlist the aid of a financial advisor who charges you a straight fee for review of your portfolio and options and does not receive any commission from any investment scenarios he/she might suggest. Asking in this site for financial advice is well.......
Old 12-17-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

This may the worst place that you should seek advice about your financial well-being.

I’d suggest opening an account with a full-service broker/financial advisor. If you go to the website of the firm and office where you’d like your account, most will list all of their advisors showing their experience and professional qualifications. Pick one, call and make an appointment. Then decide if you’d be comfortable with the advice that person will provide. Of course, you can also rely on the referrals of advisors from close friends, whose advice you might feel comfortable with.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Just make sure all transfers are completed in 30 days or less to avoid taxes. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

When I need my shoes fixed - I go to a shoemaker - when I want financial advice I do not go to totv
Closed Thread

Tags
needing, lose, money, advice, anticipate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.