Any bitcoin / cryptocurrency enthusiast here??

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Just in the for what it's worth category, NFTs are making the news these days.

In 6 months, I'll either look smart or stupid, but for a few hundred, it's worth the risk.
yea, the NFT-things is crazy...I definitely do not understand the allure, but "a rising tide lifts all boats", so regardless of the long-term prospects, NFTs seem like a great place to gamble at the moment.

I'm even more interested in learning how to earn interest via lending crypto, but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet either. NFTs & lending crypto are challenging topics for a tech-noob like myself.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I have accounts on 4 exchanges.

My link to the real world(i.e.play money/ebay bank acct) is through Coinbase. I buy BTC or Litecoin or Eth and pump it over to one of the other exchanges. I hold most of my value in Coinbase.
When you say coinbase, I hope you went on to create a coinbase pro account and are doing all your buying / selling / trading over on coinbase pro and not on coinbase--the buy / sell fees on coinbase pro are a lot less compared to on coinbase.

I know everyone says "not your keys not your coins" but I hear just as many horror stories about people losing access to their coins on cold wallets (trezor, ledger, etc.) as I do people losing their coins due to hacks on exchanges. Yea, Mt. Gox happened, but I have to assume that today's major players (Coinbase, Binance, Kraken, Gemini, etc.) are much more secure.

At the moment I've got all my crypto moved over to cold storage @ Coinbase, but if I buy any more I'm going to buy a cold wallet and store all future purchases with private keys.

I like the idea of diversifying and not having all my crypto in any one place.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
Fidelity and others will likely soon be offering crypto ETFs, which I think will be a much better & less expensive way to invest in a basket of cryptocurrencies.
A Bitcoin ETF has been pushed for years by many, including the winklevoss twins. The SEC has shot it down every chance they get.

As BTC becomes more and more accepted on Wall St. a Bitcoin ETF will eventually have to be approved. When? Who knows.

When/if it happens, you will see a huge spike in the price of BTC on the announcement.

The potential for a BTC ETF is one reason why I'm comfortable HODLing my BTC for now. I'd hate to cash out just before the ETF announcement.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

My only fear is when thing get down to the level of the average TV homeowner -- it usually over
Old 03-30-2021, 10:59 AM
Default Education

Some thing to remember or learn. Bitcoin is the system or open source code most all others are based.
Etherium is not about coin, or replacing fiat currency. Its based on smart contracts using Bitcoins code.
Other crypto currency rises and falls a great deal on the old pink sheets, otc methods of P and D. Pump and dump. The old day traders here will know what that means. STMX is one to watch as its app based crypto rewards system is up and running. IMHO the coin (platform) must have a purpose and fit what users need. Don't think of these as coins, but more of little ventures that can succeed or fail.

Last thing. Coinbase seems to be the Nasdaq of crypto, Voyager and others seem to be the pink sheets. ADA made it to the Coinbase market recently, and did not benefit much from that. I mention it because if a stock went otc to Nasdaq, it was an indicator of strength in that stock. Its not so with these, not now anyway. Only invest what you can lose.

Have fun and be careful,
Bud
Old 04-17-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I own a small amount of Bitcoin, litecoin, etherium, XLM and of course, Dogecoins. The last I don't figure will ever amount to anything, but it's so cheap, why not.
You must be THRILLED with your doge coin purchases now!! Take any profits yet?!?
Old 04-18-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
You must be THRILLED with your doge coin purchases now!! Take any profits yet?!?
I saw it run up.

Greed is keeping me in .

I own quite a lot of it that I paid .0371 cents per coin. It's running about 30 cents right now. I spend all of 50 bucks on it I believe.

It's still not enough money for me to take the profits. 10x is great. 100x is greater, 1000x is where it's at

I'm really pegging my hopes on Tezos. I got in that one at like $1 each. It's was up over $7 and now back to $5. I'm looking at that as churn. If it nails the NFT thing, it's going to the moon, so I'm holding there too.

All this is just speculative money for me, so I see no reason to "day trade" it. It can bake till it makes it or goes to zero. No big deal for me.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM

Earlier in this thread forum member DylanTodd brought up the idea of creating a Village Crypto Club. I've spoken to him--he just bought property in The Villages and is moving here in the next 3-6 months. Once he's here permanently he is going to try and get approval to create an official club.

In the meantime, if any fellow crypto enthusiast would be interested in getting together for coffee at Starbucks, Panera, or wherever, to discuss bitcoin and other altcoins, pros/cons of various exchanges and cold wallets, defi, how to earn interest on crypto, etc., send me a message via this forum.

Assuming at least a few people will be interested, if everyone leaves me a personal email where they can be contacted, I could send out a group email and collectively we could decide on where and when to meet.

Full disclosure: I am far, FAR from being any kind of crypto-expert and am still in the learning process myself. Hopefully people more knowledgeable and experienced than myself will join in.
Closed Thread

Tags
bitcoin, countries, interesting, informative, rise

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.