Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts
Default Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Thinking about accumulating some more ATT. Their debt load is a little scary but the dividend is very enticing?

What are you guys looking at?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-20-2018, 03:33 PM

I doubled down on the last dip (month or so ago) and feel confident in my decision...still.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 PM

My 401k keeps chugging along. I moved some Apple stock from my personal acct to ROTH IRA. I’m really amazed how far AAPL has fallen.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 PM

I’m waiting on the EOY, people will be selling for year end losse.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Thinking about accumulating some more ATT. Their debt load is a little scary but the dividend is very enticing?

What are you guys looking at?
Have not paid attention to T for a while. But you made me look.

It is clear to me that steady dividend investors probably are starting to think about their shopping lists for 2019.

This bull has been running since 2009. I have not felt good about the 2018 market because I felt there was an artificiality to it, especially because of all the corporate buybacks.

A good economy is supposed to be reflected in a low unemployment rate, which we have. But nobody seems to talk about what kind of jobs those are and if they include benefits. What percentage of income is being swallowed by healthcare costs? At what point does consumer confidence wane and/or the consumer hits a wall of debt? Just how solid are the underpinnings of this economy?

I feel like things are happening awfully fast right now, lots of moving parts.

But, Ken, for what my opinion is worth, I think you are smart to be thinking about the potential for good buys on solid dividend payers. But who knows when to take a leap. Dollar-cost averaging in might be an approach to consider. (Please remember though that I know not much.)
Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Have not paid attention to T for a while. But you made me look.

It is clear to me that steady dividend investors probably are starting to think about their shopping lists for 2019.

This bull has been running since 2009. I have not felt good about the 2018 market because I felt there was an artificiality to it, especially because of all the corporate buybacks.

A good economy is supposed to be reflected in a low unemployment rate, which we have. But nobody seems to talk about what kind of jobs those are and if they include benefits. What percentage of income is being swallowed by healthcare costs? At what point does consumer confidence wane and/or the consumer hits a wall of debt? Just how solid are the underpinnings of this economy?

I feel like things are happening awfully fast right now, lots of moving parts.

But, Ken, for what my opinion is worth, I think you are smart to be thinking about the potential for good buys on solid dividend payers. But who knows when to take a leap. Dollar-cost averaging in might be an approach to consider. (Please remember though that I know not much.)
I've been in ATT for years. I just couldn't help myself and bought a couple hundred shares at $28.25. lol.. I figure a 7% dividend and a P/E ratio of 14 it's worth the risk. I might even put in another buy order for $28. I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Heck I'm even considering taking a small position in GE. At the current price the only downside is bankruptcy.. lol

I still have several years until retirement. I can be patient.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I've been in ATT for years. I just couldn't help myself and bought a couple hundred shares at $28.25. lol.. I figure a 7% dividend and a P/E ratio of 14 it's worth the risk. I might even put in another buy order for $28. I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Heck I'm even considering taking a small position in GE. At the current price the only downside is bankruptcy.. lol

I still have several years until retirement. I can be patient.

I get it.

You really did make me look. T is almost at its 52-week low. And, sure enough, thereya go, dollar-cost averaging.

I have been meaning to look up whether T has ever cut its dividend.

I never looked at GE after its first dividend cut — years ago. I am sad to see the demise of that big, trusted company that gave good jobs to so many people.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Gold member

I bought 1K of GE at around $14.00 earlier this year, thinking that it couldn't possibly go down any further from there. As my old chief petty officer used to say, "there you go thinking again".
Old 12-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I bought 1K of GE at around $14.00 earlier this year, thinking that it couldn't possibly go down any further from there. As my old chief petty officer used to say, "there you go thinking again".
My dad would say: " Don't be smart -- stay the way you are".

Old 12-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Default Re: Investments

There are so many wise saying re: the stock market and at anytime some are right and some are wrong.
One of my favorites is no one is right all the time. To make money you only need to be right more often then you are wrong.
You can confirm this if you look at any of the funds or perhaps Buffet or whatever. The experts with staffs etc are not right all the time.

We, including me, are lulled into the information provided by the people with a vested interest. A vested interest to me means why are they providing that information. We come up with impressive words like risk tolerance. The truth is our risk tolerance is far higher on the way up than on the way down.

Today is 12/24/2018 this past week the S&P500 dropped 7%. I don't know the percentage I lost last week but I hope it was less than 7% as I've deliberately purchased low beta stocks.

The first question to ask yourself is why are you investing in the stock market? Next when will you need that money-time? Next your payment to the taxman?

What to do? BEATS ME.
SUGGESTION-it is easy and it is free. Do morningstar fund x-ray. You do not need to put in your dollars but you do need to have the percentage of the total of your whole that each stock or fund represents. The report will show you percentage of large cap, small cap, mid cap, foreign domestic etc that you own. If, you have a similar service available from your brokerage
you may find it interesting to discover that you will not get the same information as far as percentages from your brokerage report compared to fund x-ray. The Fidelity outline counts the contra fund (fcntx) as it's title-large cap growth fund. Fund x-ray shows it for what it is-they hold if I recall over 400 different stocks and even some bonds. The fund includes some mid cap, small cap as well as the large cap stocks.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

For fixed income..........I'm a utility guy. I stay with the big ones.......Duke, Southern Company, etc. Great dividend history. I really don't look at the market value fluctuations.

For Legal Reasons: I'm just sharing my opinion of some of my investment strategy and I am not providing advice, recommendation(s), or suggestions. Investing should be part of a complete investment plan.

My investment talk =
Old 12-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I just put in a buy order for $7.00. Let's see what happens.

I had an order filled at $27.50 for more ATT. Hopefully that's the end of that. I'm running out of money.. lol

Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Soaring Parsley

Ken!

Thank you for starting this thread.

I am still looking at T — even though I still have presents to wrap — but dinner is not at our house this year so I am not as procrastinate-y as I appear in print today.

I looked up the answer to my old question about whether T had ever cut the dividend. Turns out it is still among those “Dividend Aristocrats” so not only no cuts, but annual increases for at least 25 years.

I see what you mean about debt with their recent acquisitions costing a bunch. But, for now, they just increased the dividend again, and, hey, it goes ex on January 9.

Low Beta Boomer
Old 12-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ya never know. The only thing that we can count on for sure is death and taxes.

you tube. what a difference a day makes....... - Bing video

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-26-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Ken!

Thank you for starting this thread.

I am still looking at T — even though I still have presents to wrap — but dinner is not at our house this year so I am not as procrastinate-y as I appear in print today.

I looked up the answer to my old question about whether T had ever cut the dividend. Turns out it is still among those “Dividend Aristocrats” so not only no cuts, but annual increases for at least 25 years.

I see what you mean about debt with their recent acquisitions costing a bunch. But, for now, they just increased the dividend again, and, hey, it goes ex on January 9.

Low Beta Boomer
I'm also looking at Ford as a dividend play. It's above 7% at current prices.

I had a stop set on Microsoft which got triggered. So now I need to put the money somewhere.. lol

Closed Thread

Tags
dividend, scary, enticing, guys, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.