Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Gold member

I bought some JPMorgan/Chase on the dip as a dividend play. Currently has a yield of 3.3%.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Looks like T (the stock that started this thread a little over a month ago) has had a nice increase since and appears to have been testing its bottom at a little over 30 for the past week. But T is for dividends so as long as the share price does not run off a cliff -- like some cartoon character that was not paying attention -- I think the dividends will hang in there for now, and maybe a lot longer.

Warning: Please disregard anything I say about investing. I am not qualified professionally to give financial advice. Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about. But I could teach you how to bastardize punctuation and write sentence fragments that work just fine. -- But all you have to do for that is know that you are doing it on purpose.

Anyway, about buying on pullbacks:

When I think I might see some (ahem) shall we say -- buying opportunities coming, I sometimes start a shopping list.

I am so unsophisticated that I start my list by going to that other list known as The Dividend Aristocrats because those companies give me something to think about.

Lately, I found LEG, Leggett & Platt, with its 47 years of increasing its dividend, and sitting a little lower than the middle of its 52-week range, with a payout ratio around 60 (though I sometimes like them a little lower, depends on what else they are doing) and a beta below one. I find myself recently intrigued with LEG.

LEG's dividend is slightly below 4 so it is not the thrill of T. But not bad, and maybe the share price could go up.

My site for trading rates it neutral. Sometimes I like a little Neutral. Of course, I like a little Bullish better. And I have been known to ignore Bearish.

All those ratings are mostly from computers flashing algorithms.

Besides, I like Warren Buffett, who said, "Beware of geeks bearing formulas." (Please spare me a lecture about my guy Warren who seems to trigger a little rage around here. I gotta luv a guy who talks about percentages when others see only raw numbers. Also, I luv that he is so secure in who he is that he still lives in the house he bought decades ago. I have heard he has a weakness for private jet travel. Well, yeah, who wouldn't.) But, I digress, once more.

Back to what I am here to ask about:

I am asking because I like a little anecdotal information about companies that interest me.

I had never heard of Leggett & Platt until a few days ago.

I need to find out if LEG is boring enough for me.

I like behemoths that consistently belch out dividends, while paying attention to innovation and cap ex, but do not gorge themselves on the moment -- like when Welch could not stick to what had worked and shoved GE way into finance, when it was hot, way too hot. "You don't have to build a factory," said Welch, allegedly.

The thing is, I had never heard of LEG. But I am watching. Does anybody have any anecdotal information, or gut instinct, about LEG, that they would not mind sharing?

Last edited by Boomer; 01-26-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: clarification of noun reference
Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

This is (IMO) a good solid stock to have in your dividend portfolio. 46 straight years of raising its dividend, currently, as you say, yielding around 3.8%. Very boring product line .. office furniture and some bedding components. If you speak beta, it has a non volatile beta of .9. It took a hit in December, but has recovered nicely. It's one of those steady-eddie SWAN stocks .. (Sleep well at night)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Default Re: Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Looks like T (the stock that started this thread a little over a month ago) has had a nice increase since and appears to have been testing its bottom at a little over 30 for the past week. But T is for dividends so as long as the share price does not run off a cliff -- like some cartoon character that was not paying attention -- I think the dividends will hang in there for now, and maybe a lot longer.

Warning: Please disregard anything I say about investing. I am not qualified professionally to give financial advice. Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about. But I could teach you how to bastardize punctuation and write sentence fragments that work just fine. -- But all you have to do for that is know that you are doing it on purpose.

Anyway, about buying on pullbacks:

When I think I might see some (ahem) shall we say -- buying opportunities coming, I sometimes start a shopping list.

I am so unsophisticated that I start my list by going to that other list known as The Dividend Aristocrats because those companies give me something to think about.

Lately, I found LEG, Leggett & Platt, with its 47 years of increasing its dividend, and sitting a little lower than the middle of its 52-week range, with a payout ratio around 60 (though I sometimes like them a little lower, depends on what else they are doing) and a beta below one. I find myself recently intrigued with LEG.

LEG's dividend is slightly below 4 so it is not the thrill of T. But not bad, and maybe the share price could go up.

My site for trading rates it neutral. Sometimes I like a little Neutral. Of course, I like a little Bullish better. And I have been known to ignore Bearish.

All those ratings are mostly from computers flashing algorithms.

Besides, I like Warren Buffett, who said, "Beware of geeks bearing formulas." (Please spare me a lecture about my guy Warren who seems to trigger a little rage around here. I gotta luv a guy who talks about percentages when others see only raw numbers. Also, I luv that he is so secure in who he is that he still lives in the house he bought decades ago. I have heard he has a weakness for private jet travel. Well, yeah, who wouldn't.) But, I digress, once more.

Back to what I am here to ask about:

I am asking because I like a little anecdotal information about companies that interest me.

I had never heard of Leggett & Platt until a few days ago.

I need to find out if LEG is boring enough for me.

I like behemoths that consistently belch out dividends, while paying attention to innovation and cap ex, but do not gorge themselves on the moment -- like when Welch could not stick to what had worked and shoved GE way into finance, when it was hot, way too hot. "You don't have to build a factory," said Welch, allegedly.

The thing is, I had never heard of LEG. But I am watching. Does anybody have any anecdotal information, or gut instinct, about LEG, that they would not mind sharing?
I proudly point out the REALITY of Buffet.
The guy is 86 years old and yet we hear him speak about long term stock holdings.

Buffet like is an acceptance of a false impression. You and I do not even trade in the same market as Buffet does. We are not even in the same game-at least I am not. When I buy or sell shares, no one is following what I do and the quantity that I buy or sell does not move the market. Also, Buffet looses 45 million and says it was a bad day. If, I lost 45 million there would be a lot of people wondering how they were so stupid as to lend me that much money.

Buffet like? Perhaps, the smart thing to do is to buy Bershire Hathaway and let Buffet and his staff buy and sell for you.

I regularly wonder how many of us regularly beat SPY-S&P 500 index? I DO NOT. The report from Fidelity keeps me honest.
My simple view-I AM NOT EVEN BATTING AVERAGE.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Look at ET and also USAC
GREAT PAYERS
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Look at ET and also USAC
GREAT PAYERS
Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
This is (IMO) a good solid stock to have in your dividend portfolio. 46 straight years of raising its dividend, currently, as you say, yielding around 3.8%. Very boring product line .. office furniture and some bedding components. If you speak beta, it has a non volatile beta of .9. It took a hit in December, but has recovered nicely. It's one of those steady-eddie SWAN stocks .. (Sleep well at night)
Thank you.

I like your term SWAN stock.

And, yes, I speak fluent beta. I like it below 1.

I got burned in the 90s when I was having too much fun in tech. It was a lesson learned. But, at least, as much as I reveled in those temporary returns, I did not bet the whole farm, just the butter and egg money.

That comeuppance made me careful and simple and boring when it comes to investing. Hubris hurts.

I just might try to catch LEG.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-27-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I proudly point out the REALITY of Buffet.
The guy is 86 years old and yet we hear him speak about long term stock holdings.

Buffet like is an acceptance of a false impression. You and I do not even trade in the same market as Buffet does. We are not even in the same game-at least I am not. When I buy or sell shares, no one is following what I do and the quantity that I buy or sell does not move the market. Also, Buffet looses 45 million and says it was a bad day. If, I lost 45 million there would be a lot of people wondering how they were so stupid as to lend me that much money.

Buffet like? Perhaps, the smart thing to do is to buy Bershire Hathaway and let Buffet and his staff buy and sell for you.

I regularly wonder how many of us regularly beat SPY-S&P 500 index? I DO NOT. The report from Fidelity keeps me honest.
My simple view-I AM NOT EVEN BATTING AVERAGE.
You seem to really be hung-up on Buffett losing $45M, yet as I mentioned in this unanswered post...

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...68-post23.html

...what % do you think that represents for Buffett?

I dare say, that all of us have had percentage losses...that dwarf that $45M.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Glad you didnt get cratered in the tech crash. A former colleague of mine had to return to work after cashing out his pension and going ALL In on tech and the likes of World Comm, Enron etc .. He was one of the few that admitted it. Maybe not ALL of us have made mistakes, but I certainly have. The crash of October '87 taught me plenty.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Sage

Buffett alone (NOT Berkshire-Hathaway +-$600 BILLION) is worth about $82 BILLION.

$45 Million represents about .05%...of his net worth.

Would love to meet the investor, that has never had a one-time loss...of .05%

Old 01-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Not all of us.
If you've never experienced a .05% or greater loss at some point in the market you're either not in the market or you're not being truthful.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
If you've never experienced a .05% or greater loss at some point in the market you're either not in the market or you're not being truthful.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Soaring Parsley

Thanks again, to everybody, for an interesting discussion.

I like to talk about stocks and the economy, but I never talk about money with people I can actually see. It is just not how it is done in my old neck of the woods. People would think I was either downright tacky or just plain boring -- or both.

Anyway, thank you.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Soaring Parsley

And soooooo back to topic:

As many of you probably already know, the Dividend Aristocrats are stocks that have increased their dividend for at least 25 years, running.

The Dividend Kings have increased their dividend for at least 50 years.

Then there is that list somewhere of The Dogs of the Dow where we can look to see stocks that are getting beat up and wonder if they have a good chance of recovering.

I know those lists have pretty cheesy titles, but that’s OK with me. I am not at all sophisticated when it comes to this stuff — or anything else, really.

If you are not familiar with these lists and would like to know more, a Google of each list’s name will take you to them.

If you see anything that grabs you or that you know something about, maybe you would not mind sharing some insight.

— Geez. Please forgive me if I sounded like I was giving you homework. (blush)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
And soooooo back to topic:

As many of you probably already know, the Dividend Aristocrats are stocks that have increased their dividend for at least 25 years, running.

The Dividend Kings have increased their dividend for at least 50 years.

Then there is that list somewhere of The Dogs of the Dow where we can look to see stocks that are getting beat up and wonder if they have a good chance of recovering.

I know those lists have pretty cheesy titles, but that’s OK with me. I am not at all sophisticated when it comes to this stuff — or anything else, really.

If you are not familiar with these lists and would like to know more, a Google of each list’s name will take you to them.

If you see anything that grabs you or that you know something about, maybe you would not mind sharing some insight.

— Geez. Please forgive me if I sounded like I was giving you homework. (blush)
Old habits die hard.. lol

I like this article. You can sort by yield, price etc.. The 2019 Dividend Aristocrats List: 25+ Years of Rising Dividends Sure Dividend

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
dividend, scary, enticing, guys, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.