Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Kudos.to most participants of this thread.

A learning tool, not only on stock market participation, but on ignoring those who choose to silent anyone else in the room

This is an example of how I recall TOTV way back.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

That's a nice concise list with a few tidbits of information. I'm attaching a link to another site that is much more exhaustive. for folks that like a bunch of information on a variety of dividend paying stocks. The spreadsheet contains worksheets on stocks paying increasing dividends every year for over 25 years (champions), contenders (10-24 straight years) and challengers (5-9 years). All told there are nearly 900 companies in the list, which is updated monthly. Basic excel skills will let you sort to your hearts content. The DRiP Investing Resource Center - DRiP Information, Tools, And Forms and click on the excel spreadsheet
Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
That's a nice concise list with a few tidbits of information. I'm attaching a link to another site that is much more exhaustive. for folks that like a bunch of information on a variety of dividend paying stocks. The spreadsheet contains worksheets on stocks paying increasing dividends every year for over 25 years (champions), contenders (10-24 straight years) and challengers (5-9 years). All told there are nearly 900 companies in the list, which is updated monthly. Basic excel skills will let you sort to your hearts content. The DRiP Investing Resource Center - DRiP Information, Tools, And Forms and click on the excel spreadsheet
Wow! I could truly go down the rabbit hole on that site. Another great resource. Thanks.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 PM
TOTV Moderator

Good to see the serious part of this discussion get back on track. A number of posts were removed/hidden as they attempted to derail the topic or discuss individuals. Serious topics should invite serious discussion from those who are interested in the topic.

Thank you,

Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 PM

Amazon reported Q4 & 2028 earnings in Jan 31. I will speculate with good confidence there will be significant movement after earnings are announced. The best way to play a movement when not sure if the direction are of course straddle options. I will sit this one out, most likely, but will be interesting to see how the stock moves after the announcement. If anyone is in On the straddle, keep us posted!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Oh my! valuemkt, that is quite a site.

I started looking at it about a half hour ago, and now, I have to tear myself away and save it for later.

One of my close relatives wants to get into dividend stocks. I told him to start looking at the sites I mentioned here. (I would never tell him what to buy. But I will show him where to learn to make his own decisions.)

And I can tell you right now, he will love this site. He is highly analytical and this looks like exactly the kind of info he will use to the max.

Your link gives me another, and better, for him, source to share with him.

Thank you for showing this site to us.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Great link, thanks for sharing. Fyi all, CAT got hit today due to low earnings. For those willing to take some risk, $ to have been made on puts. Apple announces tomorrow after market closes.

Last edited by TNGary; 01-28-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Soaring Parsley

Does anybody want to talk about utilities-z-z-z-z-z?

Consolidated Edison (ED) is the only utility on the list of Dividend Aristocrats. ED has paid a dividend for more than a hundred years and has increased its dividend for at least 40 years in a row.

Dominion (D) took an interesting dip several months ago. It went up again for a while. But lately seems to be taking a bit of a hit. D’s dividend does not have the long history of ED.

I think both of these utilities go ex in February. ED’s dividend is just below 4 and D is just below 5. Both are off their 52 -week high. Both have a low Beta.

Yes. Buying utilities is about finding relatively decent, stable dividends, but it is nice to catch any stock when they are down a little. Even if you are mostly a buy and holder, you still like to see a little green in that gain column.

Anyway, let’s say, theoretically, I am asking the interested among you to join me on a little shopping trip. Not a shopping spree. I just want to go window-shopping. Just in theory — which one might have the best window right now? Would it be D or ED or both or neither?

Last edited by Boomer; 01-29-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Consolidated Edison (ED) is the only utility on the list of Dividend Aristocrats. ED has paid a dividend for more than a hundred years and has increased its dividend for at least 40 years in a row.

Dominion (D) took an interesting dip several months ago. It went up again for a while. But lately seems to be taking a bit of a hit. D’s dividend does not have the long history of ED.

I think both of these utilities go ex an February. ED’s dividend is just below 4 and D is just below 5. Both are off their 52 -week high. Both have a low Beta.

Yes. Buying utilities is about finding relatively decent, stable dividends, but it is nice to catch any stock when they are down a little. Even if you are mostly a buy and holder, you still like to see a little green in that gain column.

Anyway, let’s say, theoretically, I am asking the interested among you to join me on a little shopping trip. Not a shopping spree. I just want to go window-shopping. Just in theory would it be D or ED or both or neither?

While shopping, swing over to the Fresh Meat section.........I "SO" love shopping over there.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:

I think both of these utilities go ex in February. ED’s dividend is just below 4 and D is just below 5. Both are off their 52 -week high. Both have a low Beta.

Anyway, let’s say, theoretically, I am asking the interested among you to join me on a little shopping trip. Not a shopping spree. I just want to go window-shopping. Just in theory — which one might have the best window right now? Would it be D or ED or both or neither?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
While shopping, swing over to the Fresh Meat section.........I "SO" love shopping over there.

dewilson,

You clever, cryptic guy, you!

I luv it!

You are talking about Southern.

I have owned it in the past but not lately. Will have a look.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-29-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Speaking of utilities, there's definitely one to steer clear of...at least for now.

No telling what their eventual liability will be regarding the devastating fires in CA, but right now...it doesn't look good.

The big question obviously, is will it be an ebb tide lowering other utility boats...as a warning of what could/can happen?

Or will it turn out be the best buying opportunity...in a long time?

I guess we'll find out as the court cases (or settlements)...run their course.

Isn't it so exciting and fun...trying to predict the future?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:

Just a quick drive by between phone calls.. I probably wouldn't be plunking down any money in PG&E for awhile but I've been in Dominion for years.

ETA.. lol. I see PG&E has already been addressed..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Speaking of utilities, there's definitely one to steer clear of...at least for now.

No telling what their eventual liability will be regarding the devastating fires in CA, but right now...it doesn't look good.

The big question obviously, is will it be an ebb tide lowering other utility boats...as a warning of what could/can happen?

Or will it turn out be the best buying opportunity...in a long time?

I guess we'll find out as the court cases (or settlements)...run their course.

Isn't it so exciting and fun...trying to predict the future?
I remember when all I knew about Pacific Gas & Elelecric was their 1970 hit Are You Ready?

Anyhow, my exposure to
utilities is a Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF- symbol XLU. Very happy with the performance and low expense. And I don't have to worry about a single stock downturn.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2019, 03:06 PM
Default It simply does not matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You seem to really be hung-up on Buffett losing $45M, yet as I mentioned in this unanswered post...

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...68-post23.html

...what % do you think that represents for Buffett?

I dare say, that all of us have had percentage losses...that dwarf that $45M.
Unless I hold birkshire hathaway, if buffet looses 45 million I lost nothing due to his loss. If, you loose a higher percentage than the market. Again, it does not affect me.

My contrarian view is never forget you are a prawn-BAIT FOR THE SHARKS. Few understand math. If you invest in xyz and the first year it goes up 10% but the next year it goes down 10% you are not even you have a loss. 1000+10%=1100 1100-10%=990.
Assuming as we read that the long term market return is 8% a year, to achieve that, the third year you need to make 1000+8%+8%+8%=1259.71 so 990+27%.=1257.30

My point, few will tell you. Not only do gains compound but so do losses.

As I tried to explain and as you by this post agree. Buffet like is delusional.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

In my view Warren Buffet has done remarkably well. I remember buying two shares of BRK (A, there was no B back then) in 1987 at about $3,000 per share. It is now over $300K per share. Wish I had had the money and the guts at that time to have bought 20 shares!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
dividend, scary, enticing, guys, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.