Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-29-2019, 12:27 PM
Sage

Speaking of utilities, there's definitely one to steer clear of...at least for now.

No telling what their eventual liability will be regarding the devastating fires in CA, but right now...it doesn't look good.

The big question obviously, is will it be an ebb tide lowering other utility boats...as a warning of what could/can happen?

Or will it turn out be the best buying opportunity...in a long time?

I guess we'll find out as the court cases (or settlements)...run their course.

Isn't it so exciting and fun...trying to predict the future?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Does anybody want to talk about utilities-z-z-z-z-z?

Consolidated Edison (ED) is the only utility on the list of Dividend Aristocrats. ED has paid a dividend for more than a hundred years and has increased its dividend for at least 40 years in a row.

Dominion (D) took an interesting dip several months ago. It went up again for a while. But lately seems to be taking a bit of a hit. D’s dividend does not have the long history of ED.

I think both of these utilities go ex in February. ED’s dividend is just below 4 and D is just below 5. Both are off their 52 -week high. Both have a low Beta.

Yes. Buying utilities is about finding relatively decent, stable dividends, but it is nice to catch any stock when they are down a little. Even if you are mostly a buy and holder, you still like to see a little green in that gain column.

Anyway, let’s say, theoretically, I am asking the interested among you to join me on a little shopping trip. Not a shopping spree. I just want to go window-shopping. Just in theory — which one might have the best window right now? Would it be D or ED or both or neither?
Just a quick drive by between phone calls.. I probably wouldn't be plunking down any money in PG&E for awhile but I've been in Dominion for years.

ETA.. lol. I see PG&E has already been addressed..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Speaking of utilities, there's definitely one to steer clear of...at least for now.

No telling what their eventual liability will be regarding the devastating fires in CA, but right now...it doesn't look good.

The big question obviously, is will it be an ebb tide lowering other utility boats...as a warning of what could/can happen?

Or will it turn out be the best buying opportunity...in a long time?

I guess we'll find out as the court cases (or settlements)...run their course.

Isn't it so exciting and fun...trying to predict the future?
I remember when all I knew about Pacific Gas & Elelecric was their 1970 hit Are You Ready?

Anyhow, my exposure to
utilities is a Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF- symbol XLU. Very happy with the performance and low expense. And I don't have to worry about a single stock downturn.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It simply does not matter
Old 01-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Default It simply does not matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You seem to really be hung-up on Buffett losing $45M, yet as I mentioned in this unanswered post...

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...68-post23.html

...what % do you think that represents for Buffett?

I dare say, that all of us have had percentage losses...that dwarf that $45M.
Unless I hold birkshire hathaway, if buffet looses 45 million I lost nothing due to his loss. If, you loose a higher percentage than the market. Again, it does not affect me.

My contrarian view is never forget you are a prawn-BAIT FOR THE SHARKS. Few understand math. If you invest in xyz and the first year it goes up 10% but the next year it goes down 10% you are not even you have a loss. 1000+10%=1100 1100-10%=990.
Assuming as we read that the long term market return is 8% a year, to achieve that, the third year you need to make 1000+8%+8%+8%=1259.71 so 990+27%.=1257.30

My point, few will tell you. Not only do gains compound but so do losses.

As I tried to explain and as you by this post agree. Buffet like is delusional.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

In my view Warren Buffet has done remarkably well. I remember buying two shares of BRK (A, there was no B back then) in 1987 at about $3,000 per share. It is now over $300K per share. Wish I had had the money and the guts at that time to have bought 20 shares!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Soaring Parsley

Chi,

You just gave us good, sensible advice.

ETFs and mutual funds certainly can get the job done. Of course, any investment requires paying attention, but you are absolutely right about why investing in funds and/or ETFs can be far less of a hassle than stock picking.

I just took a look at the top holdings for XLU. Very nice.

Shameless Confession:

When I am thinking about doing a little shopping, I look at those lists I mentioned earlier, but sometimes I look at a few funds, and now, ETFs, and I spy on their top ten holdings. Then I pick a handful of those to look at more closely.

Years ago, I stalked Will Danoff, just to see what he was doing. I used his top ten as a starting point, more than once. And, yes, sometimes I copied Will’s homework.

Anyway, thanks, Chi.

And, Ken, I am relatively new to Dominion but thinking about adding some. Nice to see you like it.

I have been holding onto my steady EDdie for a while and will stay that way, but dewilson helped me remember that I used to like SO and so I am going to see how it is doing since we broke up.

And, uh, oh, I see tt has joined us and is trying to trash my dear Buffett again. Sometimes, tt even yells in all those caps. But, I hope tt can eventually accept that I will never change my mind.

Buffett is an icon. And he sure can turn a phrase. I love all his little homespun quotes. He is not pretentious. He is one of a kind. Fun to watch.

A few years ago, there was a book published by a Motley Fool writer. The book was titled “Warren Buffett Invests Like A Girl.” The book was not all that good, kind of redundant, as I recall. But I gotta luv the title.

Boomer A. Girl

Last edited by Boomer; 01-29-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Amazon
Old 01-30-2019, 09:28 PM

Default Amazon

Amazon reports tomorrow/Thursday. Bullish day to-day in the markets due to fed hold on rates plus Apple's report. Amazon up 4% today. I suspect you could see a big upswing in amazon after announcement of earnings. The way to play that possible outcome without buying the stock Will be short term call options. Will be interesting to see the final #'s after the market closes.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Speaking of utilities & dividends & ETFs: HDV. Pays over 3.5%. Has a low expense ratio (0.08%).
Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Soaring Parsley

Any thoughts on IBM?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Location: Currently Atlanta GA - Formerly Endicott and Syracuse NY

I'm biased, as I spent 38 years there and collect a pension from them. Current CEO is the second worst in history, after John Akers. Think Jeff Immelt at GE for a comparison. All magic and mirrors. The dividend is VERY tempting, and if you Believe in the Red Hat acquisition, go for it. While I depend on that pension income, from a stock buying perspective, that's what ten foot poles are made for

Tags
dividend, scary, enticing, guys, thinking