Anyone Buying on This Pullback?

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Wink

Note: I can't get rid of that winking blue emoticon that is at the start of my post. I am not messing with you. I promise. Just ignore that winking blue face. It is not supposed to be there.

Anyway:

Good afternoon, my fellow bargain shoppers.

Today, I am asking if anybody has any thoughts on HBI. Hanesbrands makes boring, affordable underwear.

Over the past 52 weeks, it has been down over 8%. Now, it is coming up from its 52-week low.

The dividend is 3.38% with a payout ratio of 40%. HBI is not among the Dividend Aristocrats, or even close. But the current payout ratio is tame enough, though I think I heard that something totally insane was going on with that a while back, but I can't find that info right now. Debt issues maybe?? CEO? Not sure.

I am not looking for a skyrocketing price, just some upward and onward. And while waiting, the dividend is not too bad. I am just wondering if this recently ugly duckling has a chance of turning into a SWAN?

That's all I know so far. As always, I appreciate your thoughts. (except for the Buffett Bashing )

Last edited by Boomer; 03-16-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

The reason its yielding over 3% is because the stock is half of what it was in 2015 .. With dividends reinvested its yielded MINUS 8% during that time vs a PLUS 9 % for the SP500. Knock yourself out if you think its hit rock bottom.. Dont know anything about its payout ratio, EPS trend etc, but for my money there are plenty of better stocks yielding 3-4%. There are also many Simply Safe followers here. they could tell you the safety rating of the dividend
Old 05-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Soaring Parsley

I really like the title Kenswing gave this thread when he started it a few months ago and titled it “Anyone Buying on This Pullback?” It has been an interesting discussion.

Continuing with Kenswing’s theme, I am asking a question, today: Is anybody watching 3M (MMM)? Opinions?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Pot stocks VFF and CURLF are going sky HIGH.......
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Default Re:mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I really like the title Kenswing gave this thread when he started it a few months ago and titled it “Anyone Buying on This Pullback?” It has been an interesting discussion.

Continuing with Kenswing’s theme, I am asking a question, today: Is anybody watching 3M (MMM)? Opinions?
5/2/19 Low for the day 183.40.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I got chicken a little while back and went a lot more conservative, after the big drop before X-Mas...and then when the DJIA bounced back to just under 26,000.

While it may climb even higher, with this being the longest bull run in history...it's just my opinion we're due for a pretty large correction soon.

And while I may lose out in the meantime, I don't suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out)...because NO ONE can time the market perfectly.

I hung on during the Great Recession when the DJIA dropped to around 8,000 and am darned glad I did...as the DOW increased by over 2 times from then to up to 2016.

I keep thinking about the billionaire who was asked about how he became so wealthy and his response was..."By selling too early."
Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Note: I can't get rid of that winking blue emoticon that is at the start of my post. I am not messing with you. I promise. Just ignore that winking blue face. It is not supposed to be there.

Anyway:

Good afternoon, my fellow bargain shoppers.

Today, I am asking if anybody has any thoughts on HBI. Hanesbrands makes boring, affordable underwear.

Over the past 52 weeks, it has been down over 8%. Now, it is coming up from its 52-week low.

The dividend is 3.38% with a payout ratio of 40%. HBI is not among the Dividend Aristocrats, or even close. But the current payout ratio is tame enough, though I think I heard that something totally insane was going on with that a while back, but I can't find that info right now. Debt issues maybe?? CEO? Not sure.

I am not looking for a skyrocketing price, just some upward and onward. And while waiting, the dividend is not too bad. I am just wondering if this recently ugly duckling has a chance of turning into a SWAN?

That's all I know so far. As always, I appreciate your thoughts. (except for the Buffett Bashing
)
Just like toilet paper...people will always need underwear.

In fact, if toilet paper makers were to start to drop and showing lower/flat volumes...it might be time to even increase your position on underwear.

After all...accidents happen.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Kraft Heinz (KHC) Has Tried to Reinvent Some of Its Most Well-Known Foods, But Nobody Seems to Care - TheStreet

Millennials being blamed for decline of American cheese | Fox News

American Cheese Sales Decline Due To Millennials

Kraft Heinz, Kellogg Latest Food Makers to See Sales Drop | Fox Business

The reason I brought this up is that I own a few shares of KHC as the result of an inheritance (wish I didn't). Plus I own some Berkshire Hathaway and am well aware of Warren's eating habits - blanch! I wonder if he accepts that younger folks have gradually been stepping away from processed foods for years and due to modern technology are able to obtain tasty, fresh, nutritious high quality foods which they prefer to what most people used to have to eat during most of the last century. His dismissive comment about KHC processed food product sales during the BH annual meeting - product sales cycle up and down - does not align with the actual trend of KHC processed food product sales, downward.
Very good sources and excellent information.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 AM

T and mo, are my picks
Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 PM
Sage

So who enjoys...roller coaster rides?

While I admit that when I took the actions linked below back in January, I've had moments since of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)...right now I'm not sorry in the least.

When things settle down and stability in global trade and policies are in place for a while (within the next couple of years?), it might be time to change my mind...but for right now I still have no regrets.

Blood Pressure Currently Steady (Apply Cuffs Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore-1/19/19
Along those lines, and in contradiction to my overall philosophy of 'buy and hold,' Friday's little rally has convinced me that it's now time...to become more conservative in my funds.

And while in 6 months, if this already record bull run continues and I may have left money on the table, I am more than satisfied with my annual returns over the last 10 years...and will have no regrets.

There are just too many "big, with so many moving parts...," (of which are too political to go into detail here)...that makes me think it's time to sit on the sidelines for a while.

Since it will be my children who will be the beneficiaries of my financial decisions, I think they will understand my philosophy that...'pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.'

I also believe that the markets will also get back to a position where it makes sense to be more aggressive, it's just my (non-professional financial opinion)...now is not that time.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Balanced Portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

While I admit that when I took the actions linked below back in January, I've had moments since of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)...right now I'm not sorry in the least.

When things settle down and stability in global trade and policies are in place for a while (within the next couple of years?), it might be time to change my mind...but for right now I still have no regrets.

Blood Pressure Currently Steady (Apply Cuffs Here)
Agree .. Hopefully you generated enough cash and short term instruments to carry you thru a potential rough couple of years .. The stocks that were kept will have time to recoup any short term losses, while generating dividend income ..
Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Agree .. Hopefully you generated enough cash and short term instruments to carry you thru a potential rough couple of years .. The stocks that were kept will have time to recoup any short term losses, while generating dividend income ..
As I mentioned in my January post, it will be my children who will ultimately be the ones judging...my financial actions/decisions.

On a personal level, as long as I don't live to be over 183 (when all of Orlando becomes just another Village )...everything will be just fine.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

If you're someone who does, lately you may feel like you are the recipient...of an 'E-Ticket' (only some folks may understand that reference ).
Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Soaring Parsley

No matter what the market is doing, investors need to build and maintain a moat — out of cash flow for living expenses, and also to make sure you never get into a place where you have to sell stocks to pay taxes.

Last edited by Boomer; 08-24-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtroy View Post
I doubled down on the last dip (month or so ago) and feel confident in my decision...still.
Great call On T, thanks for sharing. Also Elliot purchased several $B recently and will drive the price even higher to make his $B.
Keep us posted of the next opportunity as I will be checking back here!!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
dividend, scary, enticing, guys, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.