BlackRock or Vanguard

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Gold member
Default BlackRock or Vanguard

Does BlackRock own Vanguard or does Vanguard own BlackRock?

Which of these "Build Back Better/You Will Own Nothing" gangs actually owns us?
Old 08-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Vanguard is a group of funds owned by the people who invest in them, they have a very low cost , I’ve had 4 funds that cover every section of market and money goes into these funds automatically every month for the last 20 years , I hardly look at the results until end of year , doesn’t matter to me if market goes up or down , but you know goggle is your friend so easy to find out things

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 08-27-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Vanguard is usually the lowest cost provider. Blackrock seems more interested in social causes than benefiting fund holders
Old 08-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

Blackrock is a public company, Vanguard is private. Each has different corporate motivations. Blackrock as a public company has investors who expect a level of growth, and is bigger than Vanguard, as Blackrock is international and vanguard is primarily north america. Vanguard focuses more as offering American public market investments whereas blackrock has hedge funds, real estate investments, ETFs, etc. all over the world

If anyone owns you, its Blackrock. They have been known to be recently buying distressed real estate to be a modern day lord over the american fiefdom. . . being only 30 years old and the largest in the world, they are smart and aggressive and understand the value of marketing. . . ie, they understand their public image, so they would present themselves as interested in any investment/cause that an investor would find attractive, which is why they have so many offerings. . .

I wouldn't characterize them as more interested in current memes/fads/causes because you read a marketing blurb about something that interests you. . .that's the concept of targeted marketing. . . they are only interested in growing revenue and profits, whatever it takes in the global financial marketplace. . .

finance guy
Old 08-28-2021, 10:35 AM

If interested in investing, you might find it informative to checkout the Bogleheads website. It is a website focusing on financial advice that typically mirrors the approach espoused by Jack Bogle, founder and CEO of Vanguard. Some really savvy and common sense folks post to that website.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:26 PM

And I feel obligated to offer;

I suggest you look at paulmerriman dot com and read his three FREE ebooks as part of making your investment choices.

Books:
Get Smart or Get Screwed
- How to-select the best and get the most from your financial advisor

First Time Investor
- Grow and Protect your Money

101 Investment-Decisions
Old 09-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
And I feel obligated to offer;

I suggest you look at paulmerriman dot com and read his three FREE ebooks as part of making your investment choices.

Books:
Get Smart or Get Screwed
- How to-select the best and get the most from your financial advisor

First Time Investor
- Grow and Protect your Money

101 Investment-Decisions
Thanks, I was not aware of this. FREE. My contrarian view, you get nothin for nothin.
I've not yet looked but expect they are data mining
Old 09-26-2021, 09:03 AM
Sage

I’ll just stay ignorant about the many ways to beat the market and muddle along for the next 20 years like I did the last 20 with my vanguard funds and raising my monthly average buy once a year a little
Old 09-26-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Vanguard is a group of funds owned by the people who invest in them, they have a very low cost , I’ve had 4 funds that cover every section of market and money goes into these funds automatically every month for the last 20 years , I hardly look at the results until end of year , doesn’t matter to me if market goes up or down , but you know goggle is your friend so easy to find out things
Every ones finances and personality are different. As far as money going in every month for 20 years that is titled, dollar cost averaging. I've been in the stock market for 40 plus years. I laugh, an overnight success but it only took me 45 years of hard work and investing. For all it is a choice do I spend it or do I save it and what is my proper balance.

For people, perhaps like a diet to lose weight. They all work and yet most people fail.
The reason is about the same as investing and saving. People come out with a plan.
They stick to the plan for 20 weeks or so. Twenty years is actually impressive and unusual.

My view, re: investing so much per month in funds. So people like automatic, no decision necessary. Things have changed dramatically from when I started.
Funds made sense because of high commissions when you buy stocks. They were even higher when you could not or did not buy,"round lots," 100 shares at a time.
Today, commissions are zero in many places. Information, is far more easily gotten than previously.

As far as,"so much per month," it is not my business and the answer does not help me.
But, if you are still investing new money, so much per month you have a source of income that many others do not.

Like typical investment writers. If, my post helps great. If, not I will not be covering any losses for anybody other than MINE.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I’ll just stay ignorant about the many ways to beat the market and muddle along for the next 20 years like I did the last 20 with my vanguard funds and raising my monthly average buy once a year a little
I'm not sure what you are posting this to. We all have freedom of choice. "Muddle along for the next 20 years like I did the last 20," We do not know who you are, nor is is our business. This is THE VILLAGES. The average age here is 70. Continue to deposit into funds every month. Going by averages that means investing till the age of 90.

All is a balance. Numbers on a fund is not wealth. Wealth is what it BUYS. I do not have the answers BUT there are so many jokes the punch line is there are no pockets on your coffin. We all must find our own answers.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage

It was made just as light humor and I know what dollar cost averaging is I’ve been doing it for 20 years and I’m 82 and have high expectations so I hope I’ll be doing it for 20 years more and yes I’m lucky and I don’t need the money at least not yet as the part about wealth and what it provides, I’m not some guy dying with my money in a coffin I’ve been retired 22years and I’m a guy who loves to spend, I never cook and I mean never, I don’t clean either, I’m still shopping for clothes mostly in Armani or Hugo Boss stores or Nike and before covid alternated winters between Hawaii, Thailand and Miami Beach and really the average age is 70 god I wish I was that young again but you know the word muddle is actually the right word for my stock wealth I didn’t work hard I just put money in every month and forgot about it , maybe I should have worked harder at it I feel guilty lol

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 09-26-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 09-26-2021, 07:34 PM

Or you could just join the Villages Crypto Club. These traditional Blackrocks and Vanguards are antiquated and don't provide the same value they once did. If anyone wants to enter into a meaningful discussion about investing for the next 20 years reach out to me.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:25 PM
Sage

No thanks I will limit my gambling to mostly dice games in the Orlando area and betting on the NFL where I have a better chance of winning then bit coin and I’m having my best day of season 5 for 5 and hoping Green Bay will make 6
Old 10-20-2021, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

Invest in crypto? that's the worst thing to invest in long term, IMO. Vanguard index funds, IMO, are some of the best long term funds to invest in for making money
Old 10-20-2021, 06:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Little difference with Fidelity reducing fees to Vanguard level. You have a Fidelity office in LSL. Vanguard customer service is not what it used to be
Closed Thread

Tags
blackrock, vanguard, gang, owns

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.