Daily investments App

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2021, 07:00 AM

I've used 3rd party, free apps like Yahoo Finance and others in the past, but was concerned about security.

Once I moved all our investment accounts to Fidelity, we've relied on their app to keep track of everything, as well as for research and news.

For other news, still use Seeking alpha, Yahoo Finance, and WSJ.

The main problem with "free" is that it still costs in indirect ways - your information may be sold to other firms.

And some of those previously free apps and access are now limited, or may ask you to start paying a subscription.

So, in a word, use the app your investment firm offers to keep track of your investments.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 07-17-2021, 07:29 AM

"My Stocks Portfolio" is what I use. Input your info and walla! Gives you all your information in real time. Has way more information than I could possibly ever use. Very handy indeed and it's free. Mine is used on my phone and I got it from the Google Play store. I'm assuming it's on Apple but I don't know.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"My Yahoo" on my laptop and Yahoo Finance on my phone.....linked together. Free.
Love Yahoo Finance. You can link it to an account or do it yourself. Checking daily is very easy.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The info is good to have if you want it but would drive me crazy in a down market seeing how much money you lose every day
A downward movement may be the moment to purchase depending on other circumstances in the world. If you really want a particular stock there will almost always be a correction at which time you might consider buying more.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Quicken but you have to pay around 40 dollars a year to get automatic downloads.
Quicken also automatically updates number of shares. So if your account automatically reinvests dividends, Quicken tracks that. I believe with the free apps, only the prices are updated. You would have to enter the reinvestment manually.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:34 PM
Default Stocks

The best and safest way, in my opinion, would be to move all your assets to one brokerage firm.
Any app on your phone would be more subject to hacking than directly going to one site because it would have to login to each of your other accounts to get the feed. It would have to save your passwords to all the other sites.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:08 PM

I’m confused my finance persons web site has a web sight that I can go to and sign in and look at my investment and see current value.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:12 PM

Charles Schwab has an app, if you have an account, and it is updated throughout the day.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taruffi57 View Post
I need a free app that will daily update all of my stocks and IRA accounts automatically, to my iphone. Any links/advice much appreciated.
Personal Capital has an awesome app. You can link all or some of your portfolio as well as credit cards, banking info etc. The app does not allow any movement of money so you can't buy or sell, move funds etc. Because funds can't be transferred you don't have to be concerned about someone draining your accounts if they get into the app. It sends a daily update that tells you any transaction that has occurred on any credit cards, bank accounts or linked brokerage accounts. Everyday I get a report of what was charged on these cards, how my stock has done that day and updated bank accounts. I find it to very helpful because I see every transaction in one place. There is no charge for the app. They do ask you to do a phone conversation with a stock broker who will try to sell you their investment services. If you say you are not interested they will not hassle you and you can keep the app for free. Here is a link to their site Personal Finance Tools, Software and Tracking | Personal Capital
Old 07-17-2021, 09:37 PM

Stock spy
Old 07-18-2021, 08:26 AM

The easiest way is yahoo finance it will import your portfolio and it’s all for free
Old 07-18-2021, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 895 Posts

please pick an app on your cell phone which does not not have account or login information. You might think you are safe with a financial firm app, but you are until you aren't

SIM swap fraud: How to prevent your phone number from being stolen - CNET

Yes, there is convenience, but there is also risk, albeit low but seldom zero. Please google SIM card swap fraud. . .

finance guy
Old 07-18-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasman29 View Post
The best and safest way, in my opinion, would be to move all your assets to one brokerage firm.
Any app on your phone would be more subject to hacking than directly going to one site because it would have to login to each of your other accounts to get the feed. It would have to save your passwords to all the other sites.
That will work if you have individual stocks and bonds. But, if your investments are in mutual funds, you create a taxable event when you move assets to another company.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,688 Times in 3,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
But, if your investments are in mutual funds, you create a taxable event when you move assets to another company.
maybe, maybe not
Old 07-18-2021, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
maybe, maybe not
Yes, especially if they are in retirement accounts. But, I would like to move my non-retirement Fidelity funds into Vanguard, but it cannot done without generating a huge tax liability. So, Vanguard tracks and displays my Fidelity funds on their statements.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, app, links/advice, iphone, automatically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.