Daily investments App

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Bum View Post
Quicken also automatically updates number of shares. So if your account automatically reinvests dividends, Quicken tracks that. I believe with the free apps, only the prices are updated. You would have to enter the reinvestment manually.
Not true about free apps. There are many free apps that will update the number of shares that you own and calculate the value of your accounts. But, with any app, you need to provide them with your login username and password so they can access your accounts and transfer the information to the app. I would trust the Vanguard Investments app, where I have investments, more so than a third party app.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts
Default Tough position to be in to be highly profitable in investing

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would like to move my non-retirement Fidelity funds into Vanguard, but it cannot done without generating a huge tax liability.
Sucks to be successful at investing isn't it? tough position for sure. ..

So you think that vanguard with better mgmt fee structure is more valuable than the downside of paying taxes? So how long in Vanguard fee mgmt savings will it take to offset the losses of the taxable event? I bet its not worth the transfer, until you have some other means of offsetting the gains with losses or able to generate a like for like non taxable swap. . .

If you insist, and you don't want to pay any more in taxes as in your current taxable bracket incremental percent, then only take out of Fidelity as much as you can without increasing your current tax bracket. You don't have to take it out all at once. . .

And paying taxes is a buy-product (pun intended) of being successful, whether its from investing or from increased salary from job hopping or from buying early in the villages . . . so do the analysis, and then fully commit to your shot, and the outcome is all about your abilities at execution

finance guy
Old 07-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Vanguard patented a fund strategy which avoids short term annual taxable events (yeah! great! we all save on annual taxes!) and roll the annual taxes into the long term taxable event at liquidation / sale. . . . sounds great! yahooo!

Except that its in Vanguard's favor to create a huge taxable event to switch out of Vanguard, not necessarily in the customers favor, without asking them or informing them of how the short term annual taxes are shifted into the longer term we you sell, of course, no one knows in the future when they will sell. . or what the taxes will be,

but never assume that everything marketed to you as a financial savings is a long term benefit . . . as a tax preparation colleague of mine with the same problem found out . . taking a bit of medicine each year might be a bit more beneficial than a bigger hit in the future

finance guy
Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 AM

Yahoo My Portfolios I use as well, but I cant help but think that my holdings are completely private. For that reason I have "modified" my portfolios.I have never been solicited in any way, but cant help but think that they are selling my information. What do you think?
Old 07-19-2021, 07:31 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Yahoo My Portfolios I use as well, but I cant help but think that my holdings are completely private. For that reason I have "modified" my portfolios.I have never been solicited in any way, but cant help but think that they are selling my information. What do you think?
If you inputted your investments and Yahoo is not linked to your investment accounts "you are private". The investments are safe. There is ALWAYS a possibility others will see your information. Seeing vs. access is significantly different.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

One way to track your investments with a single app, without providing the app with your username and password, is to maintain a constant number of shares in each account. With mutual funds, you can do this by changing the "reinvestment" options for dividends and capital gain distributions to "cash", and have the income automatically transferred to your money market account. Then, you will always have the same number of shares. The app can track daily changes in net asset value and use a fixed number of shares to calculate the total value of your assets. No need to log in to do that. Transferring dividends and capital gain distributions to another account does not create an additional taxable event because it is income that will be taxed anyway. I have done this for years and I like knowing that I always have the same number of shares in every mutual fund.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-19-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, app, links/advice, iphone, automatically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.