David Lerner Anyone?

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Question David Lerner Anyone?

Was looking into what David Lerner was offering. Basically it's a private REIT that matures in about 7 years though it may be sold earlier. They claim never to have lost a penny of any investor's money while paying an attractive (7%+) interest rate.
I'm still skeptical. Certainly it isn't appropriate as the mainstay in a well diversified retirement portfolio, but I'm not certain, what place if any it should take.
Has anyone ever dealt with them or can offer any insights on this subject
Old 10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum member

My family has owned several David Lerner's Apple REITs over the last ten years, starting with Apple 6. All of the Apple REITs are considered illiquid because they're not traded on the open market which means you're dependent upon David Lerner to cash out.

If memory serves me correctly David Lerner has been selling these REITs for close to 18 years and none has ever lost money. Each of the Apple REITs is invested in Hilton and Marriott hotels (and their subsidiarys, ie. Hampton Inn, Courtyard, etc) with the exception of Apple 9, which also has about 5 percent in natural gas wells in Texas. Although past history is not supposed to count for much, but 18 years is not a bad track record for any investment vehicle. Of course times change, and the downside with any real estate investment is the possibility that the underlying properties may lose value. That was never a serious issue until 2008. I've attended a few investment seminars with financial planners and not one of them thought highly of David Lerner's REITs but you have to wonder about their motivation, or lack of motivation (commissions) in their opinions.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 AM

I have our money in CDs and rental property in The Villages.. After playing the game for 36 years, we've settled down.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.