Different and fun ways to save money

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Different and fun ways to save money

I, personally, am sick to death of all this talk of FENNEY .... so let's have a discussion about MONEY .............

Sometime ago I read an article in the local paper about a woman of meager means who wanted to go on a cruise and she saved dollars and did it! So, without giving it too much thought, I started throwing dollar bills in a drawer, when my purse got too heavy I cleaned it out just keeping sufficient small change to go shopping and put the rest in a vase, then I started taking the quarters and saved them. Of course, I had to save pennies and now I have bags and bags of pennies.

Recently when I was bored I thought I would count my various money stashes. I could not believe it. I had saved dollar bills in the hundreds and change in the vase approaching $50. I use the quarters to purchase dish washing liquid 4 bottles at a time (I hate running out of anything essential), and it was painless. The bags of pennies went to the Sheriffs Ranch for their charity. Now I am left wondering what I did with this money before I became a banker

So, you out there in TOTV land, do you stash away money in odd little ways because I'm looking for some new ways to save.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to paminix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I, personally, am sick to death of all this talk of FENNEY .... so let's have a discussion about MONEY .............

Sometime ago I read an article in the local paper about a woman of meager means who wanted to go on a cruise and she saved dollars and did it! So, without giving it too much thought, I started throwing dollar bills in a drawer, when my purse got too heavy I cleaned it out just keeping sufficient small change to go shopping and put the rest in a vase, then I started taking the quarters and saved them. Of course, I had to save pennies and now I have bags and bags of pennies.

Recently when I was bored I thought I would count my various money stashes. I could not believe it. I had saved dollar bills in the hundreds and change in the vase approaching $50. I use the quarters to purchase dish washing liquid 4 bottles at a time (I hate running out of anything essential), and it was painless. The bags of pennies went to the Sheriffs Ranch for their charity. Now I am left wondering what I did with this money before I became a banker

So, you out there in TOTV land, do you stash away money in odd little ways because I'm looking for some new ways to save.
For fun I am going to save $1 the first week of the year, $2 the second week, $3 the third week, etc.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default You literally meant saving money. Mine is different.

How we save money.

We reuse Christmas boxes and tissue. Some of our Christmas boxes are older than most of our doctors.

We do not charge anything that we do not pay for at the end of the month.

We do twofer's at Publix. I now have enough Hellmann's Mayonnaise for the next year.

We find yummy ways to eat leftovers.

We never live paycheck to paycheck. NEVER.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

We avoid trips to FENNEY. Saves gas money and wear and tear on the car. Also saves us the $3 fee to rent a golf cart since we can't get our own there.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

And you avoid the Fenney toll plaza!
Old 01-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

I do visa with 3% back on everything (no categories) and I go on line and pay it off about six times a month. Never am I surprised that I have a high balance. Once a year I look to see how much I have.

I keep my cash is a passbook savings that yields 2% until I invest it.

It beats lugging change to the bank. I do totally get the concept of found money but 3% on everything is a great way to save.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I do visa with 3% back on everything (no categories) and I go on line and pay it off about six times a month. Never am I surprised that I have a high balance. Once a year I look to see how much I have.

It beats lugging change to the bank. I do totally get the concept of found money but 3% on everything is a great way to save.
What VISA card gives 3 percent back? Is it cash back, or merchandise? My hero, Clark Howard, says that the Fidelity VISA card with 2 percent cash back is the best deal.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
We avoid trips to FENNEY. Saves gas money and wear and tear on the car. Also saves us the $3 fee to rent a golf cart since we can't get our own there.
That cracked me up!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Sage

Sam's Mastercard gives 5% back on gasoline, 3% on travel and dining.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Sam's Mastercard gives 5% back on gasoline, 3% on travel and dining.
What about everything else? Those expenses would account for less than 5 percent of my credit card spending.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Please share the details on the 3 percent back VISA card. I have googled it to death and cannot find a VISA card that offers 3 percent back on everything (cash or otherwise) for any VISA credit card. The best VISA card I have found is the Fidelity Investments 2 percent cash back credit card.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-02-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Gee Rusty, we are sure going to miss you down here. LOL
Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please share the details on the 3 percent back VISA card. I have googled it to death and cannot find a VISA card that offers 3 percent back on everything (cash or otherwise) for any VISA credit card. The best VISA card I have found is the Fidelity Investments 2 percent cash back credit card.
Don't know of any 3% card. Bank America has one for 3, 2 and 1% depending on what you buy. Discover has a 5% on different quarterly items. Same for Chase Freedom. These are no fee cards. You might have to use a few cards but if you eat out you can find 5% cash back for some months. The discover will also give you gift certificates which means you get a little more than 5% back.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

lipstick-jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
Gee Rusty, we are sure going to miss you down here. LOL
Mutual my good friend. I promise to make a better effort to get there for the new year.

Last edited by rustyp; 01-02-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Alliant Credit Union. The eighth largest credit union by assets in the country in 2018. Details of credit card, yes 3% CASH on everything, yes EVERYTHING. Fine print year one, no fee, year two fee of 59.00, cash back drops to 2.5%. Cash back is unlimited, there is no cap.

The field of membership includes anyone who donates five bucks to a foster care charity. 2% on savings, 100.00 deposit balances and up. The best part is how You can transfer money in and out of Alliant, even banks that make it difficult to transfer money out (pushing money) don't have an issue with you pulling money out to Alliant.

You are welcome.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, pennies, bags, saved, ways

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.