Different and fun ways to save money

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What VISA card gives 3 percent back? Is it cash back, or merchandise? My hero, Clark Howard, says that the Fidelity VISA card with 2 percent cash back is the best deal.
Your hero did not read Nerd wallet "Best cash back card of 2018" or Bank Tracker "Best Credit Union of 2018" or Credit Cards Tracker "Best flat rate credit card of 2018" .

Call me cynical but is it possible that even Clark Howard, who I admire, is influenced by the affiliate fee that most credit cards offer if someone signs up using their link?

Edit to add this from Clark Howard's ad disclosure policy on his website. "We do however make money from links and offers from some companies and deals on our sites." And: "Clark does not include the entire universe of available credit or financial offers on our sites." He does say that: "While this helps us pay the bills, the trust that you have in us is our number one priority and always will be."

Last edited by Toymeister; 01-03-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

We put everything on our SouthWest credit card to get travel points. We fly back and forth between Orlando and Bradley airport with our points at least three times per year.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We put everything on our SouthWest credit card to get travel points. We fly back and forth between Orlando and Bradley airport with our points at least three times per year.
Here is a site that places a value on travel and airline tied credit cards. It places the value of the Southwest Rapid Rewards card at 1.5%. Good, but not great.

There might be special value for this type of card depending upon your situation. Cash is universal, so I prefer cash back cards.

What Are Points Miles Worth? January 2018 Monthly Valuations
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Your hero did not read Nerd wallet "Best cash back card of 2018" or Bank Tracker "Best Credit Union of 2018" or Credit Cards Tracker "Best flat rate credit card of 2018" .

Call me cynical but is it possible that even Clark Howard, who I admire, is influenced by the affiliate fee that most credit cards offer if someone signs up using their link?
I started this thread on a whim because I was sick of all the trash talk about the new build areas, but I ended up getting some great info from you, thank you for posting.

"Best cash back card of 2019" Discover it® Cash Back Card :

INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched. Earn 5 % cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.

Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.No annual fee.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 01-03-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Platinum member

The issue with Discover or many similar cards is the 5% Cash Back is from a limited field of choices and it changes every month or quarter. Example for Discover: Grocery Stores from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19, on up to $1,500, Gas Stations Uber and Lyft April to June, and so on.

Some people make out very well keeping a variety of cards and using them for different classes of purchases each quarter.

But a limited field of high cash back classes for a limited amount (cap) is not a flat rate cash back credit card.

Nerd Wallet is like any other credit card rater, from their site: "So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us."
Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Wife and I always walk when we play golf.
Always used course pull cart at $1 each.
Purchased two carts at Marion Market $24 the pair.
Still have them, and use them, and now about $300 in front.
We spend a lot to stay here each year, flights, house and car rental etc. but I get a real kick out of saving those two bucks a round.
It's the little things in life that put the icing on the cake!!!!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
The issue with Discover or many similar cards is the 5% Cash Back is from a limited field of choices and it changes every month or quarter. Example for Discover: Grocery Stores from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19, on up to $1,500, Gas Stations Uber and Lyft April to June, and so on.

Some people make out very well keeping a variety of cards and using them for different classes of purchases each quarter.

But a limited field of high cash back classes for a limited amount (cap) is not a flat rate cash back credit card.

Nerd Wallet is like any other credit card rater, from their site: "So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us."
My husband is the real money person in our home and he immediately asked if I had checked on the changes over the months. I presume this information is available somewhere and I will have to investigate some more, but still great information. I will be reading your recommendation. Thanks.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Ways to save money.

Cut your own toenails.

If you can still easily reach them.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Here is a site that places a value on travel and airline tied credit cards. It places the value of the Southwest Rapid Rewards card at 1.5%. Good, but not great.

There might be special value for this type of card depending upon your situation. Cash is universal, so I prefer cash back cards.

What Are Points Miles Worth? January 2018 Monthly Valuations
Agree that the Southwest card is good, but not great. We use it because Southwest (and to a lesser extent Jet Blue) has by far the most and best priced direct flights between Orlando and Bradley airports, which is the best flying option between our two homes.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Default Re: Credit card rebates

Quote:
I do visa with 3% back on everything (no categories) and I go on line and pay it off about six times a month. Never am I surprised that I have a high balance. Once a year I look to see how much I have.

I keep my cash is a passbook savings that yields 2% until I invest it.

It beats lugging change to the bank. I do totally get the concept of found money but 3% on everything is a great way to save.
A friend used to own a retail store. Moving to Florida and being retired my taxes are far lower than they used to be. There was that old line about a cash business. My view if you make a dollar and pay 30% top tax rate on your money you are making seventy cents for every dollar you earn.

My friend pointed out that due to rebates few people pay CASH.
Also,the credit card fees that the retailer pays to the credit card companies if, I recall are like fifty cents per transaction plus 2% of the gross amount. Simple explanation why large stores such as Wallmart, Home Depo, Lowes all offer incentives for you to open an account with them and extra discounts if you use their card.

The stores must take credit cards because WE insist on using them. Due to contracts that the credit cards have the power to impose due to our insisting stores take them, stores cannot offer a lower CASH price and current contracts prevent the old system of minimum dollar amount of a sale to use a credit card.

Using a credit card to purchase in many cases gives the buyer additional power. You can dispute a charge-withhold payment-due to an issue without damaging your credit. You can change your mind on the purchase within 24 hours by using a credit card with no penalty.

I used the above power once in my life. Dispute with the moving company that took us to the villages. The dispute was for about $1500 bucks. Took months on withholding payment.
In the end I WON.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paminix View Post
For fun I am going to save $1 the first week of the year, $2 the second week, $3 the third week, etc.
You should try doubling it every week - after six months you'd have $67,108,863 and you could pay for us all to go on a cruise with you

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 01-27-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Citibank cash back Mastercard pays 2% on everything, no limit, no annual fee.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

To save money, I dumpster-dive behind City Fire and Red Sauce.

No, not for the used food...that would be gross.

It's to hunt the rats that show up...so that I can BBQ them later.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do your own housecleaning instead of spending money at the gym. Ditto ...do your own bush trimming and weeding. Don't buy expensive cuts of meat at the grocery. (First learn to cook). NO not by going to Spain and taking a course, by immersing yourself into Betty Crocker's Cook book.

If an able bodied person rises early and works hard, sooner or later the odds are he will be rich. At the very worst she will be in a better place than he/she was before.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-27-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We find yummy ways to eat leftovers.
Refusing to eat leftovers is such a wasteful habit.

They can (especially curries and chillies) taste better than the "original".

Time and energy is saved by cooking up a large batch and putting some aside - either in the fridge for the next day, or the freezer for much later.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, pennies, bags, saved, ways

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.