Different and fun ways to save money

Different and fun ways to save money

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I do visa with 3% back on everything (no categories) and I go on line and pay it off about six times a month. Never am I surprised that I have a high balance. Once a year I look to see how much I have.

I keep my cash is a passbook savings that yields 2% until I invest it.

It beats lugging change to the bank. I do totally get the concept of found money but 3% on everything is a great way to save.
Please share the details on the 3 percent back VISA card. I have googled it to death and cannot find a VISA card that offers 3 percent back on everything (cash or otherwise) for any VISA credit card. The best VISA card I have found is the Fidelity Investments 2 percent cash back credit card.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-02-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Gee Rusty, we are sure going to miss you down here. LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please share the details on the 3 percent back VISA card. I have googled it to death and cannot find a VISA card that offers 3 percent back on everything (cash or otherwise) for any VISA credit card. The best VISA card I have found is the Fidelity Investments 2 percent cash back credit card.
Don't know of any 3% card. Bank America has one for 3, 2 and 1% depending on what you buy. Discover has a 5% on different quarterly items. Same for Chase Freedom. These are no fee cards. You might have to use a few cards but if you eat out you can find 5% cash back for some months. The discover will also give you gift certificates which means you get a little more than 5% back.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Gold member

lipstick-jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
Gee Rusty, we are sure going to miss you down here. LOL
Mutual my good friend. I promise to make a better effort to get there for the new year.

Last edited by rustyp; 01-02-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Alliant Credit Union. The eighth largest credit union by assets in the country in 2018. Details of credit card, yes 3% CASH on everything, yes EVERYTHING. Fine print year one, no fee, year two fee of 59.00, cash back drops to 2.5%. Cash back is unlimited, there is no cap.

The field of membership includes anyone who donates five bucks to a foster care charity. 2% on savings, 100.00 deposit balances and up. The best part is how You can transfer money in and out of Alliant, even banks that make it difficult to transfer money out (pushing money) don't have an issue with you pulling money out to Alliant.

You are welcome.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
What VISA card gives 3 percent back? Is it cash back, or merchandise? My hero, Clark Howard, says that the Fidelity VISA card with 2 percent cash back is the best deal.
Your hero did not read Nerd wallet "Best cash back card of 2018" or Bank Tracker "Best Credit Union of 2018" or Credit Cards Tracker "Best flat rate credit card of 2018" .

Call me cynical but is it possible that even Clark Howard, who I admire, is influenced by the affiliate fee that most credit cards offer if someone signs up using their link?

Edit to add this from Clark Howard's ad disclosure policy on his website. "We do however make money from links and offers from some companies and deals on our sites." And: "Clark does not include the entire universe of available credit or financial offers on our sites." He does say that: "While this helps us pay the bills, the trust that you have in us is our number one priority and always will be."

Last edited by Toymeister; 01-03-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

We put everything on our SouthWest credit card to get travel points. We fly back and forth between Orlando and Bradley airport with our points at least three times per year.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We put everything on our SouthWest credit card to get travel points. We fly back and forth between Orlando and Bradley airport with our points at least three times per year.
Here is a site that places a value on travel and airline tied credit cards. It places the value of the Southwest Rapid Rewards card at 1.5%. Good, but not great.

There might be special value for this type of card depending upon your situation. Cash is universal, so I prefer cash back cards.

What Are Points Miles Worth? January 2018 Monthly Valuations
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Your hero did not read Nerd wallet "Best cash back card of 2018" or Bank Tracker "Best Credit Union of 2018" or Credit Cards Tracker "Best flat rate credit card of 2018" .

Call me cynical but is it possible that even Clark Howard, who I admire, is influenced by the affiliate fee that most credit cards offer if someone signs up using their link?
I started this thread on a whim because I was sick of all the trash talk about the new build areas, but I ended up getting some great info from you, thank you for posting.

"Best cash back card of 2019" Discover it® Cash Back Card :

INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched. Earn 5 % cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.

Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.No annual fee.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 01-03-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:33 AM

The issue with Discover or many similar cards is the 5% Cash Back is from a limited field of choices and it changes every month or quarter. Example for Discover: Grocery Stores from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19, on up to $1,500, Gas Stations Uber and Lyft April to June, and so on.

Some people make out very well keeping a variety of cards and using them for different classes of purchases each quarter.

But a limited field of high cash back classes for a limited amount (cap) is not a flat rate cash back credit card.

Nerd Wallet is like any other credit card rater, from their site: "So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us."

Tags
money, pennies, bags, saved, ways