Different and fun ways to save money

Different and fun ways to save money

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

Wife and I always walk when we play golf.
Always used course pull cart at $1 each.
Purchased two carts at Marion Market $24 the pair.
Still have them, and use them, and now about $300 in front.
We spend a lot to stay here each year, flights, house and car rental etc. but I get a real kick out of saving those two bucks a round.
It's the little things in life that put the icing on the cake!!!!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The issue with Discover or many similar cards is the 5% Cash Back is from a limited field of choices and it changes every month or quarter. Example for Discover: Grocery Stores from 1/1/19 to 3/31/19, on up to $1,500, Gas Stations Uber and Lyft April to June, and so on.

Some people make out very well keeping a variety of cards and using them for different classes of purchases each quarter.

But a limited field of high cash back classes for a limited amount (cap) is not a flat rate cash back credit card.

Nerd Wallet is like any other credit card rater, from their site: "So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us."
My husband is the real money person in our home and he immediately asked if I had checked on the changes over the months. I presume this information is available somewhere and I will have to investigate some more, but still great information. I will be reading your recommendation. Thanks.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Sponsored Links
Ways to save money.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage

Default Ways to save money.

Cut your own toenails.

If you can still easily reach them.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Here is a site that places a value on travel and airline tied credit cards. It places the value of the Southwest Rapid Rewards card at 1.5%. Good, but not great.

There might be special value for this type of card depending upon your situation. Cash is universal, so I prefer cash back cards.

What Are Points Miles Worth? January 2018 Monthly Valuations
Agree that the Southwest card is good, but not great. We use it because Southwest (and to a lesser extent Jet Blue) has by far the most and best priced direct flights between Orlando and Bradley airports, which is the best flying option between our two homes.
Re: Credit card rebates
Old 01-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Credit card rebates

Quote:
I do visa with 3% back on everything (no categories) and I go on line and pay it off about six times a month. Never am I surprised that I have a high balance. Once a year I look to see how much I have.

I keep my cash is a passbook savings that yields 2% until I invest it.

It beats lugging change to the bank. I do totally get the concept of found money but 3% on everything is a great way to save.
A friend used to own a retail store. Moving to Florida and being retired my taxes are far lower than they used to be. There was that old line about a cash business. My view if you make a dollar and pay 30% top tax rate on your money you are making seventy cents for every dollar you earn.

My friend pointed out that due to rebates few people pay CASH.
Also,the credit card fees that the retailer pays to the credit card companies if, I recall are like fifty cents per transaction plus 2% of the gross amount. Simple explanation why large stores such as Wallmart, Home Depo, Lowes all offer incentives for you to open an account with them and extra discounts if you use their card.

The stores must take credit cards because WE insist on using them. Due to contracts that the credit cards have the power to impose due to our insisting stores take them, stores cannot offer a lower CASH price and current contracts prevent the old system of minimum dollar amount of a sale to use a credit card.

Using a credit card to purchase in many cases gives the buyer additional power. You can dispute a charge-withhold payment-due to an issue without damaging your credit. You can change your mind on the purchase within 24 hours by using a credit card with no penalty.

I used the above power once in my life. Dispute with the moving company that took us to the villages. The dispute was for about $1500 bucks. Took months on withholding payment.
In the end I WON.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paminix View Post
For fun I am going to save $1 the first week of the year, $2 the second week, $3 the third week, etc.
You should try doubling it every week - after six months you'd have $67,108,863 and you could pay for us all to go on a cruise with you

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 01-27-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage

Citibank cash back Mastercard pays 2% on everything, no limit, no annual fee.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage

To save money, I dumpster-dive behind City Fire and Red Sauce.

No, not for the used food...that would be gross.

It's to hunt the rats that show up...so that I can BBQ them later.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Sage

Do your own housecleaning instead of spending money at the gym. Ditto ...do your own bush trimming and weeding. Don't buy expensive cuts of meat at the grocery. (First learn to cook). NO not by going to Spain and taking a course, by immersing yourself into Betty Crocker's Cook book.

If an able bodied person rises early and works hard, sooner or later the odds are he will be rich. At the very worst she will be in a better place than he/she was before.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-27-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We find yummy ways to eat leftovers.
Refusing to eat leftovers is such a wasteful habit.

They can (especially curries and chillies) taste better than the "original".

Time and energy is saved by cooking up a large batch and putting some aside - either in the fridge for the next day, or the freezer for much later.

Tags
money, pennies, bags, saved, ways