Dividend Investors Unite!

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM

If you take the dates of the past posts and look at the stock price at that date you can calculate the profit or loss.
I still like DD and MWE and bought both back after I sold them as indicated in my past post.
I recently added GE which I bought for 14.85 on 9/12. It pays 4%.

Everyone in TV is a winner.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM

What do you all think about mutual funds that invest in dividend stocks such as Vanguard Dividend Growth and probably Gabelli? I am thinking about a small investment, not a major move.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

I purchased DVY (ISHARES TR DOW JONES SELECT DIVID INDEX FD) on 12/31/10 and it's down 1.8% as of yesterday. Not bad compared to other growth/blend mutual funds I own.
I do not reinvest dividends or cap gains. I like to accumulate the cash and then decide what to do.

Just recently purchased ELi Lilly currently paying 5.3%. I am a big fan of dividend paying stocks.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
I purchased DVY (ISHARES TR DOW JONES SELECT DIVID INDEX FD) on 12/31/10 and it's down 1.8% as of yesterday. Not bad compared to other growth/blend mutual funds I own.
I do not reinvest dividends or cap gains. I like to accumulate the cash and then decide what to do.

Just recently purchased ELi Lilly currently paying 5.3%. I am a big fan of dividend paying stocks.
Another great Utility Stock is DUKE POWER. Paying 5.10%, very safe and low risk.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

I know! But I own EPD, KMP and PAA. I owned Lilly about 30 years ago. They took over a small company I owned. I sold the stock to buy a dish washer
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
What do you all think about mutual funds that invest in dividend stocks such as Vanguard Dividend Growth and probably Gabelli? I am thinking about a small investment, not a major move.
A dividend paying mutual fund or ETF fund is a good idea if it fits your needs. You should be looking for a flow of income, if the value of the investment goes up or down that should not change your need for income and you would not be selling. Your goal should be that the dividends paid increase over the years and hopefully keep up with inflation.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmascelli View Post
I've been writing short term covered calls on quality good paying dividend stocks for some tme now. If you manage your position carefully you can usually collect your next quarterly dividend and at the same time collect your call premium leading to an even greater return.
I sure wish I knew how to do that. You would be a great speaker at the club!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
I sure wish I knew how to do that. You would be a great speaker at the club!
e\E*Trade has a lot of educational material that covers options. Also look for references to the market guys. I assume other online firms have similar info.

Try https://us.etrade.com/e/t/irc/stocka..._3min_Default#
Old 10-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
e\E*Trade has a lot of educational material that covers options. Also look for references to the market guys. I assume other online firms have similar info.

Try https://us.etrade.com/e/t/irc/stocka..._3min_Default#
thanks!!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
A dividend paying mutual fund or ETF fund is a good idea if it fits your needs. You should be looking for a flow of income, if the value of the investment goes up or down that should not change your need for income and you would not be selling. Your goal should be that the dividends paid increase over the years and hopefully keep up with inflation.
I am looking at increasing income in the future. Right now my income is fine but my resources are a pension plus social security and, while they are supposed to go up, I'm not convinced they will be adequate. So I am looking to lock in some future income. Is this the way to do it?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Gold member

Keep in mind, along with higher income comes higher risk. You need to ask yourself "Can I afford to lose it all?" The experts recommend you only go high risk with money you can afford to lose.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
I am looking at increasing income in the future. Right now my income is fine but my resources are a pension plus social security and, while they are supposed to go up, I'm not convinced they will be adequate. So I am looking to lock in some future income. Is this the way to do it?
Don't think anyone knows the answer to that one. At this point I would say dividend paying stocks is probably the only option for my situation. Yours could be different.
I have seen a few financial planners recommend the purchase of an immediate annuities when your resources may not be adequate to meet your income needs. The idea is you purchase the annuity x years into retirement because inflation has reduced the value of your pension and your assets would have to be invested in high risk investments to earn enough income. This could be something to consider down the road. I do not think you would want to buy an annuity until interest rates increased. Annuities can be expensive so be sure to shop (try Vanguard and Fidelity to start) around and maybe hire a fee only financial planner.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Bought more T today (10/10) at $28.85. Pays 6%.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Default T ?

What is "T"?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

AT&T, my favorite.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.