Employment environment is normal economics at work

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2021, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts
Default Employment environment is normal economics at work

LOL! its very easy to blame the government for normal economic forces . . . but ultimately, the current employment environment is normal economics working . . . the world has just been very easy and comfortable for a long stretch of time, at least 40 years, and we are facing natural forces which have been at bay for 100 years. . . now, not so much. . . more employment survival skills are needed and more employer adaptability is required.

About that Giant Payrolls Miss... - The Big Picture

highlights:

If you need to hire you must increase wages; if you want to hire (but cannot increase wages), you better offer a compelling workplace or prepare for unfilled positions and higher than normal turnover.

• Employers are not competing against unemployment insurance, they are COMPETING AGAINST EACH OTHER FOR TALENT. How so many are missing this is perplexing. This is how the market operates; prices rise when demand goes up. That I need to even remind some of this is proof how badly damaging ideological blinders are to fundamental economic analysis.

yes, my daughter quit a restaurant job with no benefits for a lower paying job with benefits and a much nicer management team. read point 1 above.

two, having worked in finance with programming skills, I have eliminated jobs starting about 20 years ago. Someone gave me Martha's report, which she did daily and took her about 4-6 hours to prepare. them she emailed it out to people. They gave me the report to perform, and after some work, i reduced the report time to 5 minutes. Then I worked with the corporate automation and web team and it was done with automation overnight. . . now I need something to do! two people without work!

Current environment, colleagues use my reports which are updated with a click of a button, and they can customize the report to any variable / meta data they want to see. . . that is why there is very little opportunities in the corporate world or the middle class. .. and the automation continues to eat jobs, so there are fewer high quality jobs, unless you have a unique skill set which the organization needs. . . i had two scheduled lay off dates last year, neither happened as they used my skills in other places. . . but long time employees did get laid off, and of course, they were upset after so many comfortable years, but most aren't suited to today's competitive work environment.

So don't blame the government for job loss, that's just your personal scapegoat for events beyond your control . . . we all want to be needed, and we all want what we think is the reward for the best we can do, but no one is irreplaceable, you are on your own in a capitalist/corporatist world to survive. Yea, it sucks to be laid off, I have been three times, and dodged two last year. I have been jobless for three years, from 2001 to 2004 because no one would hire me. I didn't blame the government, it was the economy and my personal constraints I had kids to raise and would not move. . . . and for the financial planning saying back then, have 3-6 months of savings between jobs. . . didn't quite work . my former boss also was out of work for 3 years while looking. . . we didn't blame the government

That's what made this country so great is the creative work ethic of opportunity. That opportunity has created alot of wealth for those who worked hard and smart in most industries. . . there are choices, but one only gets what they work for, not what they wish for. . .

BTDT guy

i pushed the post button on the prior thread one minute after it was closed.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Jobs report show 40% of the recipients on unemployment are making more than they normally do.

THAT'S NOT COMPETITION

Your post doesn't hold water at all
Old 05-08-2021, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Sorry Coach K do not agree.

When the govt gives people more money to stay home than work it will distort the employment market.

Made some sense when the economy has shut down but now that the unemployment rate is down to a more normal figure, makes no sense for the govt to borrow money to pay people to stay at home.

If these subsidies went away, wages would rise as a result of companies needing to compete for labor.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

stu and sports guy -- when I need my shoes fixed I go to a shoemaker.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,306 Times in 2,025 Posts

Maybe what we need to settle some of this is a simple chart showing jobs available and people out of work.

Maybe there were only 266,000 jobs available and all were filled.

Maybe there were only 266,000 people out of work and now everyone is employed.

But if there were more than 266,000 jobs available and more than 266,000 people unemployed but the people chose to remain unemployed rather than take one of the available jobs then we have a problem.

Perhaps wages need to increase. Perhaps prices need to increase to support increased wages.

Perhaps the Federal Govt is trying to force a minimum wage by setting unemployment compensation levels to incentivize employees staying home until wages increase.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-08-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

It's all about increasing Government dependence to diminish the private sector.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's all about increasing Government dependence to diminish the private sector.
Very true
Old 05-08-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu from nyc View Post
sorry coach k do not agree.

When the govt gives people more money to stay home than work it will distort the employment market.
bingo!!!!
Old 05-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Maybe what we need to settle some of this is a simple chart showing jobs available and people out of work.

Maybe there were only 266,000 jobs available and all were filled.

Maybe there were only 266,000 people out of work and now everyone is employed.

But if there were more than 266,000 jobs available and more than 266,000 people unemployed but the people chose to remain unemployed rather than take one of the available jobs then we have a problem.

Perhaps wages need to increase. Perhaps prices need to increase to support increased wages.

Perhaps the Federal Govt is trying to force a minimum wage by setting unemployment compensation levels to incentivize employees staying home until wages increase.
There were over 7 MILLION job openings as of the end of February (the last months # are available)...

So, no, all the available jobs were not filled, by a long shot...

-Tom Petty

Last edited by JMintzer; 05-08-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sorry Coach K do not agree.

Made some sense when the economy has shut down but now that the unemployment rate is down to a more normal figure, makes no sense for the govt to borrow money to pay people to stay at home.

If these subsidies went away, wages would rise as a result of companies needing to compete for labor.
Of course it will distort the employment market, I guess some can't really understand how that work, there seems to be plenty who can't... !
Old 05-09-2021, 05:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
LOL! its very easy to blame the government for normal economic forces . . . but ultimately, the current employment environment is normal economics working . . . the world has just been very easy and comfortable for a long stretch of time, at least 40 years, and we are facing natural forces which have been at bay for 100 years. . . now, not so much. . . more employment survival skills are needed and more employer adaptability is required.

About that Giant Payrolls Miss... - The Big Picture

highlights:

If you need to hire you must increase wages; if you want to hire (but cannot increase wages), you better offer a compelling workplace or prepare for unfilled positions and higher than normal turnover.

• Employers are not competing against unemployment insurance, they are COMPETING AGAINST EACH OTHER FOR TALENT. How so many are missing this is perplexing. This is how the market operates; prices rise when demand goes up. That I need to even remind some of this is proof how badly damaging ideological blinders are to fundamental economic analysis.

yes, my daughter quit a restaurant job with no benefits for a lower paying job with benefits and a much nicer management team. read point 1 above.

two, having worked in finance with programming skills, I have eliminated jobs starting about 20 years ago. Someone gave me Martha's report, which she did daily and took her about 4-6 hours to prepare. them she emailed it out to people. They gave me the report to perform, and after some work, i reduced the report time to 5 minutes. Then I worked with the corporate automation and web team and it was done with automation overnight. . . now I need something to do! two people without work!

Current environment, colleagues use my reports which are updated with a click of a button, and they can customize the report to any variable / meta data they want to see. . . that is why there is very little opportunities in the corporate world or the middle class. .. and the automation continues to eat jobs, so there are fewer high quality jobs, unless you have a unique skill set which the organization needs. . . i had two scheduled lay off dates last year, neither happened as they used my skills in other places. . . but long time employees did get laid off, and of course, they were upset after so many comfortable years, but most aren't suited to today's competitive work environment.

So don't blame the government for job loss, that's just your personal scapegoat for events beyond your control . . . we all want to be needed, and we all want what we think is the reward for the best we can do, but no one is irreplaceable, you are on your own in a capitalist/corporatist world to survive. Yea, it sucks to be laid off, I have been three times, and dodged two last year. I have been jobless for three years, from 2001 to 2004 because no one would hire me. I didn't blame the government, it was the economy and my personal constraints I had kids to raise and would not move. . . . and for the financial planning saying back then, have 3-6 months of savings between jobs. . . didn't quite work . my former boss also was out of work for 3 years while looking. . . we didn't blame the government

That's what made this country so great is the creative work ethic of opportunity. That opportunity has created alot of wealth for those who worked hard and smart in most industries. . . there are choices, but one only gets what they work for, not what they wish for. . .

BTDT guy

i pushed the post button on the prior thread one minute after it was closed.
I find it hard to believe that you really believe the garbage you are putting out there in the name of simple economics. There are cleaning services in The Villages offering $20 an hour for full time employment that can’t get anyone to fill the positions. As soon as that government stipend ends they will be back to work if they aren’t all drug addicts or alcoholics by then
Old 05-09-2021, 05:51 AM

You obviously dont own a business and are trying to hire employees. I have a service business. We pay $25 to $35 an hour with paid health insurance and a 401K. I have been told numerous times from applicants that they would like to work for us when their unemployment benefits run out. That's my competition.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:16 AM
Veteran member

You can believe what you want but if you look at the unemployment figures and the new jobs, we have a problem Houston, I believe something like 500,000 jobs were created last month meaning people took employment, but we have 300,000 new people unemployed for the first time getting their check, there are plenty of jobs out there if you look at the statistics for job postings in newspapers and internet search engines, I just saw on TV how one of the large pizza chains Papa John's I believe opened up hundreds of stores and hired 30,000 people, but they are looking for 10,000 more. It all depends on whether you really want to work or whether you want to sit home on your lazy backside and collect more money than working people do. Just in the last week several states have decided to cut off unemployment because they see the actual results of too much money. Oh and don't forget Congress has given away $3,000 or more to every able-body taxpayer which means $6,000 for a family plus thousands more starting this summer if you have children so why should you work if the government is just giving you money hand over a fist as they say
Old 05-09-2021, 06:19 AM

Your post highlights the woeful lack of trade and technical retraining opportunities for both young and older workers. They have been eliminated in the high schools. Since about 2/3 of our kids don’t get a 4 year college degree they are left to face a rigorous college prep curriculum they hate. Government and industry need to work together to provide training and retraining opportunities to meet the challenges of our changing economy.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Statistics and unemployment

as a smaller businessman, I was there for able to employ an economics professor to help me run my business, but I did tend to rely on all the statistics that are out there you tell me whether I should continue investing or pull back and save money in the bank for a bad economy. There are a lot of simple numbers out there, car sales are one, home sales are another, these are called leading , indicators as they are good indications of current actual business levels, unemployment and inflation levels are not leading indicators because they are what happens after the fact when too much money is pumped into the economy, or we've had major world events causing businesses to stop growing. Inventory, hotel prices, airline costs, and gasoline are the things to look at. We've had major distortions because restaurants have closed and people are getting too much money so they aren't working. It's pretty well obvious that everybody that doesn't have their head stuck in sand what the real problems are.
Closed Thread

Tags
work, years, environment, report, normal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.