Fractional Share Partner to purchase 2nd home in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2021, 12:47 PM

Thank you for your perspective. Fractional ownership can encompass anywhere from 2 to 100's of owners. We are seeking 2 (maybe 3) owners total with no AIRBNB rights. We are seeking a partner(s) that takes care of their dwelling and is a good fit for the Villages.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:53 PM
Default Not a timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Exactly, and most people know that there is nothing perfect about timeshares.
Wikipedia describes fractional ownership as "Fractional ownership is a method in which several unrelated parties can share in, and mitigate the risk of, ownership of a high-value tangible asset, usually a jet, yacht or piece of resort real estate"

Think aircraft fractional ownership, not timeshare fractional ownership.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

We have friends who did a 50-50 split on a ski condo in NH for 20 years and they use it as well as rent it out. It’s 100% about compatibility / cooperation between parties.

Of course it’s not for everyone as you can read here as most retirees on here are highly risk adverse.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:00 PM

Most larger private aircraft are owned in fractional ownership situations. (NetJets, Wheels Up, Flex Jet, etc..). Most celebrities own only a fractional share of the aircraft they fly in. It works because the owners are vetted and there is a contract between the owners.

There are people out there that want a second home in The Villages that don't desire to pay for the entire home. Hopefully, this post finds those people and not the naysayers that say this won't work.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowabuddy View Post
Thank you for your perspective. Fractional ownership can encompass anywhere from 2 to 100's of owners. We are seeking 2 (maybe 3) owners total with no AIRBNB rights. We are seeking a partner(s) that takes care of their dwelling and is a good fit for the Villages.
My understanding is that only up to four people, included on the title, can get resident passes.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

To the OP, have you considered getting a reverse mortgage on your current home, to help finance the purchase of a second home in TV for just yourself?
Old 01-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

To sum up most of the posts this is a bad idea on too many levels.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

One thing is for certain and I speak from experience there is absolutely no way I would partner on a house in TV with someone I had not known for years and got along with well. Even in that situation things can unexpectedly go south. If I could not afford to own a second home on my own I would rent.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-04-2021, 06:09 AM

Bad, bad, bad idea. Too many problems would arise. If you can't afford to live here, don't come here.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:22 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Murphy's law is waiting just over the hill, would you consider a mail order bride? If not its a big NO
Old 01-04-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Can of worms.
I would definitely consult with an attorney. There has to be a contract between the parties as to who is responsible for the upkeep, utilities, deed restrictions, etc. This type of an arrangement makes me nervous. Friends may end up enemies which is the least of your worries. To be honest, I would not do it.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This idea has so many potential problems, they are difficult to count. Suppose someone, who owns half of the house, decides to use the house as an Air BNB hotel and rent it out on a nightly basis, or rents out individual rooms? Or, decides to sell their half in weekly increments like a typical timeshare? How do you get homeowners insurance for the house? What recourse do you have if the person who owns half of the house refuses to pay the ongoing expenses? Who is responsible for deed restriction violations?
Of course. Thats why you need a legal iron clad contract. All the things you named are common sense.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
We live in the Orlando are and are seeking one (1) 50% or Two (2) 33% partners to purchase a vacation home in The Villages. Also open to current home owners willing sell a % of their current home.

Fractional ownership is perfect for snowbirds or anyone seeking a second home who doesn’t want to purchase the entire home as they will not utilize it full time. We would agree on usage, with each partner responsible for their share of the cost of the home. We are flexible to the days we would utilize the home, are responsible, clean and pet friendly.

What a perfect way to purchase a home that you’ll not utilize full time! We still work full time in the Orlando are and are desiring a second home we could utilize in The Villages.
We have stayed in one of those properties in Orlando. Neighbors (renters) next door were nightmares. Would be shameful if the villages became like that.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
We live in the Orlando are and are seeking one (1) 50% or Two (2) 33% partners to purchase a vacation home in The Villages. Also open to current home owners willing sell a % of their current home.

Fractional ownership is perfect for snowbirds or anyone seeking a second home who doesn’t want to purchase the entire home as they will not utilize it full time. We would agree on usage, with each partner responsible for their share of the cost of the home. We are flexible to the days we would utilize the home, are responsible, clean and pet friendly.

What a perfect way to purchase a home that you’ll not utilize full time! We still work full time in the Orlando are and are desiring a second home we could utilize in The Villages.
Sorry, but this struck me as strange. Plus, the only posts are looking for money investment. Instincts tell me "hard no".
Old 01-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Default Doesn’t add up.

Quote:

Maybe I’m missing something here 50% + 33% + 33%= 116%. Are we seeking to make a profit, how do you equitably divide the year? In my opinion a problematic situation for all involved.h dear:

Tags
home, utilize, purchase, full, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.