Frontline: The Retirement Gamble

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Frontline: The Retirement Gamble

You can watch it on your computer.

Quote:
Retirement is big business in America, but is the system costing workers and retirees more than what they’re getting in return, asks FRONTLINE correspondent Martin Smith
The Retirement Gamble | FRONTLINE | PBS
Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM

[quote=JourneyOfLife;665629]You can watch it on your computer.

Good information and makes you think.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM

Yes, I’ve watch it, Frontline is one of my favorite TV programs. Should make you want to change to an Index fund if not already in one. Even when trying to do the right thing (saving for your retirement) your being ripped-off.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Sage
Default Thanks for sharing...

That was interesting. Stuff I have heard before, but well presented.

I have been fortunate to have had a job through the crashes of 2000 and 2008. I feel the pain of folks that have saved and saved and have to dip into their 401ks to survive.

I like many do not have a pension. I have always saved to the best of my ability believing that dollar averaging over time would get me to the promised land. Not quite there yet, but still consider my self fortunate to have my health and a job with insurance. As far as retirement? My goal/plan has not changed in 15 years.... I am going to retire in five years....

PS. I sent this to my financial adviser for further discussion....
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM

Excellent and worth taking the time to watch.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

It is amazing. I have known about the negative affect of high investment expenses (including advisor fees or commissions) for over 25 years.

It is surprising how a few percentage points (compounded) over 20, 30 or 40 years can put a big hole in savings.

I believe most people just overlook it and don't realize the effect.

If many knew they were paying more than their house is worth they would be shocked. Especially shocked when they found out there are alternatives that are much lower cost and just as effective.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
That was interesting. Stuff I have heard before, but well presented.....

PS. I sent this to my financial adviser for further discussion....

Very funny.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran member
Default FINRA Mutual Fund Cost/Fee Analyzer

FINRA is a Financial industry regulator.

Quote:
The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) is the largest independent regulator for all securities firms doing business in the United States. FINRA's mission is to protect America's investors by making sure the securities industry operates fairly and honestly. All told, FINRA oversees about 4,270 brokerage firms, about 161,765 branch offices and approximately 630,345 registered securities representatives.

Quote:
The Fund Analyzer offers information and analysis on over 18,000 mutual funds, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) and Exchange Traded Notes (ETNs). This tool estimates the value of the funds and impact of fees and expenses on your investment and also allows you the ability to look up applicable fees and available discounts for funds
This tool will highlight part of the problem that is discussed in that Frontline story.

Try it yourself. It is very easy!

Go to Vanguard, Fidelity, T Rowe Price or other no-load fund companies web sites to identify some mutual funds or ETFs to compare against your current funds.

1) Go here: Fund Analyzer

2) Plug in the two or three mutual fund symbols.

3) once you have all three funds selected, Then click the "show results" button.

4) Now change the money amount to an amount larger than $10k... $250k or $500k (so you can really see the affect over time)

5) Then change the number of years of the illustration to 20 years (the maximum length of time).

6) Look at the summary information section. Then study the tables.

Last edited by JourneyOfLife; 04-27-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: A clarification
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.