How do you invest in a down market?

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Depends on your age and your working status. If you are a typical Villager, you are retired, and in the "distribution phase" of your life. The remainder would be equities, anywhere from solid well-known companies to higher flyers. Once you are set on these holdings (or again representative mutual funds / ETfs) you stay the course and don;t touch them during corrections. If you've made solid selections history shows that they will revert to their growth histories.
Still in "accumulation" phase. I'm not investing for monthly income right now, but may do so in the medium term. What would you say are some "solid selections" - the FAANGs, for instance? I'm thinking some of those have run their course.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,072 Times in 429 Posts

Another vote for Vanguard index funds. For us, they simply work. Yes...Bogleheads here.

If you want to earn a small fortune by timing the market, start with a large fortune.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

In The last 5 years it's going from 17, 000 to about 34,000 so you can't say the market has hit a high as every day it's at a high. If you want to be thinking is going to go down and you should have your assets that's diversified. In other words you should have at least 20% in bonds and you should also consider real estate, gold, and still your own business even if you have that much money. There's an old rule that says take your age subtract it from 100 and the remaining amount should be what's invested in stocks the rest should be in the bank but it's really hard when the stock market has gone up 100% or more in 5 years to sit on the side
Old 05-07-2021, 06:05 AM

I like to keep my investments at 15 - 25% during the present time and only do vertical spread options to decrease risk. 2020 was a beautiful year for making money. We have seen 2 corrections and possibly a third to come. We all have to be smart with our funds in 2021. Vertical spreads when done on the right stocks can give me a 94% ROI.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:21 AM

Might want to take a look at infrastructure via an ETF such as: I-Shares US Infrastructure (IFRA) at about $33.70.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Here's an interesting strategy graphic under different macro inflationary scenarios.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Macro.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	89362  
Old 05-07-2021, 06:28 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default Dca (dollar Cost Averaging)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
If you were reasonably sure the market would be flat or down in a given year because of inflation, higher interest rates and tax increases, and you don't do options, would you:

---Sell all your stocks
---Reduce your investment in each of your positions
---Buy more stocks
---Do nothing
---Do something else (what?)

Please refrain from political commentary. We play the hand we're dealt.
Buy more blue chip stocks. Not all at once. A little at a time over the 12 month period. Take your investment money and divide by 12. That's the amount you want to invest each month over the next 12 months. If there is a big downward move you may want to go all in. Most people do it wrong, they buy high and when market drops they panic and sell. Then they wonder why they can't make money in the market. You want to buy when stocks are on sale. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:30 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default Yes VTI FUND

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Another vote for Vanguard index funds. For us, they simply work. Yes...Bogleheads here.

If you want to earn a small fortune by timing the market, start with a large fortune.
Been in VTI fund for many years and had done very well.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

60/40, 100 less age, balance & rebalance

We have recovered from every dip.

Get 90% to 95% in the market and let's ride.

Put your Big-Boy pants on and ride it out.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

if you want professional portfolio recommendations, please look up

Hedgeye

I have subscriptions to them, and they do very well.
If you want to trade, I have other professional services to get ideas or follow a hedge fund manager with his analysis, not all his trades, but you will get the idea. .

I would not recommend any brokerage house services for investments with no commissions attached, visible or otherwise.
And yes, Fidelity gets paid by you in other ways than posting a commission amount on your statement. If you look carefully, they have awful sell price fills in house, which means they are making their commissions on the in house spreads. . I have had trades where there are not trades anywhere at the price i received, but no commissions. . . don't be nieve.

finance guy
Old 05-07-2021, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
If you were reasonably sure the market would be flat or down in a given year because of inflation, higher interest rates and tax increases, and you don't do options, would you:

---Sell all your stocks
---Reduce your investment in each of your positions
---Buy more stocks
---Do nothing
---Do something else (what?)

Please refrain from political commentary. We play the hand we're dealt.
HUH? You expect to find answers to this question on a website? There are literally piles of books on the subject. My wisdom-buy low and sell high. Only trouble is knowing when is low when is high and then acting not saying I SHOULDA, COULDA MIGHTA.

We tend to parrot what we are told. Investing vs gambling a too common thread. What is the difference? Horse facing, I am not into it. You if you are into horse racing can find analysts or course just like investment advice they have charts and graphs.

You can't do market timing. If, you buy high and sell low, is that not market timing?

Buffet like/ That has become a buzz word. Buffet loses 45 million on an investment and he states I shouldn't have done that trade. If, I lose 45 million there are gonna be a lot of people wondering how they could have been sooooo stupid as to lend me that much money. Buffet does not even live in the same world as I do. Buffet is almost 90 years old and he says he buys for long term. Does he live on a different actuarial table than we do?
Buffet does not even trade in the same market as I/we do.

Oh and as confirmed in this post, no one cares what I think.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

You don't have to look too far back to see what you did 2008-2009. If you made it through that fairly unscathed then you have a plan. If you didn't then a good financial advisor should be an option. Mine has gotten me through the dot com and great recession phases and into both recoveries successfully. A lot less angst and a lot more sleep.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Turn all your investments into cash, and hide it in grandmas old armchair.
Always good for a laugh at funerals and will readings!
Old 05-07-2021, 08:16 AM

Like everything else, on the subject of investing and the stock market: an opinion, a nose, and an a**hole, everyone has one.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

David Swensen Dies at 67. How Yale’s Investing Chief Was Widely Imitated by Endowments and Pensions.

Using alternatives, like real estate, farmland and other means.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
stocks, market, buy, positions, investment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.