Investment Advisor going Independent...your thoughts?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 04:16 PM

Default Investment Advisor going Independent...your thoughts?

knowing it may be moved but there is nothing on the Financial planning board. I retired just over ten years ago and have been here for six. When I retired I rolled my 401K from Fidelity to another company with the advice of my CPA into an IRA. The guy who handles my account has been forced to change large investment companies three times due to mergers or etc. I really like him and as conservative as I am he managed my money well. This week he calls and says he is going independent after 20 years with large institutions and he will have a broker dealer assigned to his accounts. I trust him but I am a bit concerned that he will not have the full backing of a large company like Mass Mutual or New England Financial and be making the decisions him self. Has this happened to anyone else where you have ten years working with a guy you like and he goes independent. I may be looking at leaving him and going with a large investment firm like he is leaving. Any suggestions?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

If an advisor has access to your funds, my conservative position is........he/she should be part of a good firm.

Not all independents are bad...........just more security with a backing of a larger firm.

You may never know the real reason he is going independent after 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

I had that happen to me. Great broker with a large firm. He started a boutique outfit with two other guys. I trust him but "What if he gets hit by a truck?" or the like? Insurance of various sorts can also be an issue IMHO. I opted not to go with him but remain with the large firm as the situation did not pass my 'sleep at night' test.

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Run
Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

If you are feeling uncomfortable with an independent just think how you'd feel with Wells Fargo? Over the past few years it has been fined billions for various "lapses" in trustworthy banking. And, many of their executive/officers are still sitting at their desks.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
If an advisor has access to your funds, my conservative position is........he/she should be part of a good firm.

Not all independents are bad...........just more security with a backing of a larger firm.

You may never know the real reason he is going independent after 20 years.
Agree with this.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Run

Then again, I'm the only one I truly trust...to manage my investments.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Soaring Parsley

Sometimes, I worry that someday, I might start investing in Beanie Babies, Pound Puppies, Franklin Mint Plates, and/or Pez Dispensers so we recently decided to relinquish a piece of the action to an independent, but kept the rest of it under our control.

But that independent puts the accounts on deposit with one of the recognized, big fund and investment companies. We look at our accounts β€” anytime we want to through a portal we create that takes us to that well known site.

Baby step though it should seem, it was a big step for me.

Took me forever to find somebody who did not try to buy me dinner first.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Sage

And I also would not use a small firm. But then I do all my own anyway using Vanguard. I figure by the time I start investing in Pez dispensers it won't matter much anyway. And I have trained my better half well to carry on without me.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Sometimes, I worry that someday, I might start investing in Beanie Babies, Pound Puppies, Franklin Mint Plates, and/or Pez Dispensers so we recently decided to relinquish a piece of the action to an independent, but kept the rest of it under our control.

But that independent puts the accounts on deposit with one of the recognized, big fund and investment companies. We look at our accounts β€” anytime we want to through a portal we create that takes us to that well known site.

Baby step though it should seem, it was a big step for me.

Took me forever to find somebody who did not try to buy me dinner first.
I know...right?

I am inundated every week...with those offers.

I personally look with a jaundiced eye, towards those who can afford mass mailings...and taking me out to dinner.

Much less those that have enough...to sponsor polo teams.

I mean cripes, it doesn't take a genius to figure out...how they make enough money to do all that 'advertising.'

PS. What is wrong with 'investing' in Beanie Babies/Pez Dispensers?

Tags
large, years, company, investment, leaving