Investors Club

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Default Investors Club

Is there an "Investors Club" at the Villages.

I was unable to find anything related to this in the Club Directory.

I'm not ready to sit down with a "financial Advisor" who wants my hard earned $$$$ without first educating myself.

Or, Seminars ? Classes ?
Old 08-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Good idea
Old 08-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage

Investors Education Club - meets the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at Seabreeze at 3 pm. I've attended regularly since they began several years ago. Run by some very smart people.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:04 AM

If your interested in self-education, I would recommend looking at the following resources,
The free retirement info offered by Vanguard and/or Fidelity;
The free information offered on paulmerriman dot com and especially his 3 free e-books;
and the retirement info at the Motley Fool (fool.com) -in 2005 it was called RYR (Rule Your Retirement) and cost $99.

In 2005 I used these to construct my retirement and have fared satisfactorily.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
If your interested in self-education, I would recommend looking at the following resources,
The free retirement info offered by Vanguard and/or Fidelity;
The free information offered on paulmerriman dot com and especially his 3 free e-books;
and the retirement info at the Motley Fool (fool.com) -in 2005 it was called RYR (Rule Your Retirement) and cost $99.

In 2005 I used these to construct my retirement and have fared satisfactorily.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

bogleheads.org is another great education resource.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
bogleheads.org is another great education resource.
Thanks, l2ridehd, I had never looked at Bogleheads before now.

But because of your suggestion, I googled and found the pdf of "The Bogleheads' Guide To Investing." I did a quick skim and scroll and saw that it looks like a really good intro to a lot of things about investing.

There is a section on risk tolerance that was pretty far into my fast scrolling, but I think that could be a good place to start for someone wanting to learn about investing.

The Bogleheads' Guide also provides an intro to the vocabulary of investing. I think getting the vocab is a first step to learning about most anything.

Knowing yourself and understanding what you are buying and tiptoeing is a good starting point. The market has been climbing steadily for a lot of years. That does not mean it will continue. (said Boomer, stating the obvious)

There is an easy read book I sort of like because it deals with the psychology of investing. If you Google the title, you can find a summary on a Forbes blog. (I still do not know how to link on my iPad or I would get it for you.)

The book is "Warren Buffett Invests Like A Girl." It's a little redundant and was published a few years ago, by a Motley Fool writer, but there is some good stuff in it.

Well, I could go on and on but I must get out of here and move forward with my life this morning.

Last edited by Boomer; 08-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanks all. This is a really good start.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Gold member
Default A great tool not mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thanks, l2ridehd, I had never looked at Bogleheads before now.

But because of your suggestion, I googled and found the pdf of "The Bogleheads' Guide To Investing." I did a quick skim and scroll and saw that it looks like a really good intro to a lot of things about investing.

There is a section on risk tolerance that was pretty far into my fast scrolling, but I think that could be a good place to start for someone wanting to learn about investing.

The Bogleheads' Guide also provides an intro to the vocabulary of investing. I think getting the vocab is a first step to learning about most anything.

Knowing yourself and understanding what you are buying and tiptoeing is a good starting point. The market has been climbing steadily for a lot of years. That does not mean it will continue. (said Boomer, stating the obvious)

There is an easy read book I sort of like because it deals with the psychology of investing. If you Google the title, you can find a summary on a Forbes blog. (I still do not know how to link on my iPad or I would get it for you.)

The book is "Warren Buffett Invests Like A Girl." It's a little redundant and was published a few years ago by a Motley Fool writer but there is some good stuff in it.

Well, I could go on and on but I must get out of here and move forward with my life this morning.
Morningstar fund xray-it is free and will tell you how you are invested ie percentage large cap, small cap, foreign, domestic, stocks bonds.

If you hold several individual stocks or are interested in individual stocks, you may want to sign us for SEEKING ALPHA-it too is free. You will receive via e-mail all of the articles written by members on the stocks you have on your list. Far more efficient then looking for them.

As to all the STUFF we read that says BUFFET LIKE it makes me laugh. First of all we or at least I do not have access to the market where Buffet trades. We read Buffet is buying ???????-HE HAS ALREADY BOUGHT IT. Then, people buy-well Buffet BOUGHT IT it must be good. I for one wonder about a guy who is 80+ and is buying stocks for LONG TERM

WE/I am not BUFFET LIKE-we are the pawns upon which sharks like Buffet feed.

WE all heard that PRO OBAMA, Buffet speech that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. What a deliberately misleading pile that many bought into. Buffet's secretary is on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week you can bet he or she is well paid. Buffet at the time he was giving that MISLEADING SPEECH had already given as much as he legally could to the Obama campaign so the threw a fund raiser for Obama in Chicago to shake down his friends and business associates to give more to Obama. LOOK NOT AT WHAT BUFFET SAID BUT AT WHAT BUFFET DID. Bank of America-we all know Buffet put money into Bank of America. BUFFET LIKE? Had Buffet bought BONDS in BOA he would have paid the top tax rate on the dividends. Buffet, bought PRIORITY SHARES, that did not even exist, in BOA and the stock dividends have a top tax rate of 15%. BUFFET LIKE? .
Old 08-20-2017, 11:04 AM

I received the following update from the Investment Education Club today:

There will be no meeting on 8/24.

Future meetings:
9/14 - Brad Kline, IPO Public Relations, An insider view of Investors Relations
9/26 - Larry Harman - Basics of Stock Options
10/12 - Andre Nacaxe - Charitable Trusts
10/26 TBD
11/9 - Tentative Ryan Henderson, Estate Agent, IRA and Estates what can go wrong
11/23 - No Meeting
12/14
12/28 - No Meeting
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Morningstar fund xray-it is free and will tell you how you are invested ie percentage large cap, small cap, foreign, domestic, stocks bonds.

If you hold several individual stocks or are interested in individual stocks, you may want to sign us for SEEKING ALPHA-it too is free. You will receive via e-mail all of the articles written by members on the stocks you have on your list. Far more efficient then looking for them.

As to all the STUFF we read that says BUFFET LIKE it makes me laugh. First of all we or at least I do not have access to the market where Buffet trades. We read Buffet is buying ???????-HE HAS ALREADY BOUGHT IT. Then, people buy-well Buffet BOUGHT IT it must be good. I for one wonder about a guy who is 80+ and is buying stocks for LONG TERM

WE/I am not BUFFET LIKE-we are the pawns upon which sharks like Buffet feed.

WE all heard that PRO OBAMA, Buffet speech that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. What a deliberately misleading pile that many bought into. Buffet's secretary is on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week you can bet he or she is well paid. Buffet at the time he was giving that MISLEADING SPEECH had already given as much as he legally could to the Obama campaign so the threw a fund raiser for Obama in Chicago to shake down his friends and business associates to give more to Obama. LOOK NOT AT WHAT BUFFET SAID BUT AT WHAT BUFFET DID. Bank of America-we all know Buffet put money into Bank of America. BUFFET LIKE? Had Buffet bought BONDS in BOA he would have paid the top tax rate on the dividends. Buffet, bought PRIORITY SHARES, that did not even exist, in BOA and the stock dividends have a top tax rate of 15%. BUFFET LIKE? .

Ya know, suesie, I used to think about doing a little presentation at the Investment Ed Club. I would have talked about....

How to be confident when tiptoeing into investing.
Knowing yourself.
Getting a little start.
Not betting the whole farm--just the butter and egg money.
Building a moat around your stocks.
Doing the sleep-at-night test.
Watching out for guys who want to buy you dinner first.
Buying what you know.
How not to panic.
Learning from your/my mistakes. (I bubble-danced in the 90s.)

And a few other things.

Of course, I know I might have to contend with a few know-it-all types, feigning boredom or foaming rabid -- just like in your post AT me. (The first part of your post was helpful to the question at hand. The second part, with all the CAPs???)

Oh well, please don't worry about me. I'm fine. Thank you very much.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-20-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: To clarify reason for my snarkiness
Closed Thread

Tags
club, investors, financial, hard, advisor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.