Is the market going to crash?

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecmo View Post
To be upfront, I know absolutely nothing about Lincoln Financial. If your asset allocation is truly 27/73 (stocks/fixed income) and they are calling that their "aggressive portfolio", I would look elsewhere.

Having said that, 27/73 would be considered very conservative but may be appropriate if it lets you sleep at night. However, most advisors say you need at least 40-50% equities (stocks) to keep up with inflation.

I would suggest you visit bogleheads.org . John Bogle was the founder of Vanguard. Spend some time on the forum. Introduce yourself and ask questions. Explore the Wiki. There is also a recommended reading list.

Hope that helps.
It helped! Thank you!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
The book I suggested, or any number of other basic books, will help you start to understand what an advisor is suggesting. Investing a little time will be worthwhile.
Your advice is very worthwhile. I can't thank you enough! THANK YOU!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
Can you recommend a book, please?
Dave Ramsey "The Total Money Makeover"

It may change your life and I hope it does!
Old 06-11-2021, 05:12 AM

A wise man once told me: "All assumptions are false, all assumptions are true - we must make assumptions"
Old 06-11-2021, 05:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Can you recommend a book, please?
Investing for dummies
Old 06-11-2021, 05:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

[QUOTE=Becca9800;1957552]So I'm 61 and retired w >3 years of monthly payments for health care coverage until Medicare kicks in at 65. Pension? Ha! Haha! I worked in health care for nearly 40 years, there is no pension to speak of. I def picked the wrong line of work. Me and the bank own two homes, my car is paid off and there is no other debt. I feel very fortunate though, so many are in much worse straights. IDK. Does that shed any light?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your service in our healthcare industry.
It's impossible for anyone to give financial advise without knowing your age.
Investing in your 20's, vs. 40's, vs. 60's is very different.
The advise on ths public social board is like a Clint Eastwood movie....The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Books are good for basic knowledge, don't buy the get rich books.
Good to have basic knowledge.

People you know are the best reference for financial advisors.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
I'm absolutely ignorant when it comes to the stock market yet that's where all the money I have is nesting. It's in a 403b, encouraged and supported by my former employer. I'm w Lincoln Financial, with an Aggressive Retirement portfolio. I've not a clue. Please be kind now, I know I've been not too bright but I'm here now asking for your advice. So please be nice. I watch my value go up, and go down, YTD I'm up. It's all I have and it ain't much, I cannot afford to lose it in a crash. But I don't want to miss any gains either (greed, I know. It's a matter of knowing I'll need gain to be comfortable 10 years from now). I keep reading the market will crash soon and it frightens me. I need a financial guru to guide me. I've been to two advisors and received conflicting advice. Do I pull out or do I stay and run the gambit? What's an 'ol girl to do? Thanks so much in advance.
Have you ever heard of Vanguard? You need to get a hold of Vanguard investments. We've been with them for over 30 years and done very well very safe thorough knowledge. They have the lowest fee of any investment firm lower than Fidelity. Call Vanguard investments toll free number
Old 06-11-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
You are trying to do what is called Time the Market. Don't do that. It doesn't work out well for 99.99% of investors that try to do it (just made up percentage, but it is bay far most).

You need to find a person with experience to giver you advice on conservative investment strategies - if you are concerned about losing what you have invested. And then follow that advice and leave it alone.

The market WILL crash eventually. Next week, next year, or next decade - no one can predict, but a lot of people will gladly take your money and promise they can predict it and will protect your investment, do not believe anyone that says they can promise anything.
Yes eventually the market will reset and prices will go down. Whatever goes up eventually goes down. We’re at all time highs so you should anticipate change.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACEALLEMAN View Post
Have you ever heard of Vanguard? You need to get a hold of Vanguard investments. We've been with them for over 30 years and done very well very safe thorough knowledge. They have the lowest fee of any investment firm lower than Fidelity. Call Vanguard investments toll free number
I agree that Vanguard would be a good way to go. But, Fidelity is also a good choice because they have an office in The Villages. You may feel more comfortable dealing with a live person. The first step would be to ask them to help you transfer all assets from your 403B account into an IRA account of no load funds, without changing your current asset allocation. Then, you will need a little knowledge to adjust your portfolio as needed.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:42 AM
Default Stock Market

Quote:
I'm absolutely ignorant when it comes
to the stock market yet that's where all the money I have is nesting. It's in a 403b, encouraged and supported by my former employer. I'm w Lincoln Financial, with an Aggressive Retirement portfolio. I've not a clue. Please be kind now, I know I've been not too bright but I'm here now asking for your advice. So please be nice. I watch my value go up, and go down, YTD I'm up. It's all I have and it ain't much, I cannot afford to lose it in a crash. But I don't want to miss any gains either (greed, I know. It's a matter of knowing I'll need gain to be comfortable 10 years from now). I keep reading the market will crash soon and it frightens me. I need a financial guru to guide me. I've been to two advisors and received conflicting advice. Do I pull out or do I stay and run the gambit? What's an 'ol girl to do? Thanks so much in advance.
First, I’d start reading everything there is about investing in the stock market. There’s no excuse for remaining ignorant of your investments. It’s so important that I would start learning immediately. You don’t have to become a broker just know what they are doing and whether it’s the right thing. Next, you should never be in an aggressive position if you’re over the age where
You rely on that investment. Whomever is your advisor is not doing right by you if they are still in an aggressive position now. That is just crazy. Please get wise and talk to a local person here who really k nonws how to treat senior’s money.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:47 AM

Becca, I’m an Allstate agent working from home in TV. Allstate has many financial products that can protect some of your assets. You can put some money in an annuity. There are various kinds with no risk and higher risk and a few years and longer terms. I’m not licensed to discuss them. We have experienced advisors that are happy to provide valuable information free of charge. Call me 954-437-9230 ext. 308 and I’ll set an appointment for you. I’d say take the free advice and then make a decision that meets your needs. I have an annuity with little risk I will use to supplement my social security when I’m 70.5. I felt the same way as you and pulled out some money from the stock market. I didn’t want all the risk and wanted extra income when I’m no longer working.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
See that's how ignorant I am, I don't even use the correct verbiage. I lumped it all as 'in the stock market'. I have to admit that I'm embarrassed. My aggressive retirement portfolio is 46.77% bonds, 27.47% stocks and 25.76% cash/stable value. Given that new info, what say you? Am I on a stable path to preserve my savings?
I would not call that an aggressive portfolio. Not even close.

A general rule of thumb I have used is to use volatile stocks only for money you won’t need for 10+ years. Money you will need sooner should be more conservative.

What is going on in the stock market right now is gambling pure and simple. People aren’t investing in good companies with strong fundamentals, but in companies who’s stock price is skyrocketing. They are betting that they will sell before everyone else does. And, the ones who will win this game are not likely to be folks like us. People are getting second mortgages to buy stock in worthless companies. The bubble will eventually burst and people will wake up one morning with a serious financial hangover.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

To answer your question, yes it will crash. You are currently fairly conservative with your investments. Read Ferri’s book on asset allocation. Read boogleheads.org web site. Understand what your invested in. If you can’t or don’t want to, put everything in Vanguard Life Strategy income or moderate growth fund until you do. Very safe, very conservative and will adjust as market changes. DO NOT TRY to time the market. No one has every been successful doing that.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Richardson View Post
Becca, I’m an Allstate agent working from home in TV. Allstate has many financial products that can protect some of your assets. You can put some money in an annuity. There are various kinds with no risk and higher risk and a few years and longer terms. I’m not licensed to discuss them. We have experienced advisors that are happy to provide valuable information free of charge. Call me 954-437-9230 ext. 308 and I’ll set an appointment for you. I’d say take the free advice and then make a decision that meets your needs. I have an annuity with little risk I will use to supplement my social security when I’m 70.5. I felt the same way as you and pulled out some money from the stock market. I didn’t want all the risk and wanted extra income when I’m no longer working.
Sorry. But, I would definitely stay away from insurance companies and annuities for investing money.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that Vanguard would be a good way to go. But, Fidelity is also a good choice because they have an office in The Villages. You may feel more comfortable dealing with a live person. The first step would be to ask them to help you transfer all assets from your 403B account into an IRA account of no load funds, without changing your current asset allocation. Then, you will need a little knowledge to adjust your portfolio as needed.

Tags
market, crash, advice, financial, guide

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.