Marketplace Money about Sun City

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Marketplace Money about Sun City

This weekend on NPR's Marketplace Money the first half of the show is about Sun City in Arizona. Sun City is having its 50th anniversary.

I am linking the show here. in case anybody wants to listen to it.

This is not some kind of commercial for Sun City. (I sure do not plan to go to Arizona. I was there once and my contact lenses felt like they were stuck to my eyeballs the whole time. I like my heat with a side of humidity. And I like an ocean to be at least somewhere vaguely, sort of, kind of, can get there in a reasonable amount of time, in the neighborhood.)

This show is doing more of a "Let's Take a Look at the History and the Future of 55+ Communities" approach. (Boomer's personal opinion: The big ones will survive.)

Now, I must put a warning here. There is an interview with a couple who say that they "reside there" but they do not "live" there. Well, I just did not like their attitude. There but not there. Doing that routine about how it is too homogeneous. She works at a hospital and he is a youth minister. They are in their late 50's and they are in denial about some things it sounds like to me. I just did not like their condescending tone.

As the interview went along, I thought they were coming off a little obnoxious and then he clenched it for me. He makes a comment where he says how if they get to retire, it will most likely be due to an inheritance because they have not saved for retirement. Welllll, that was tacky. Just think how the in-laws will feel when they hear that one. Guess who is NOT coming to dinner huh. Maybe it's just me, but I thought that guy was one smarmy preacher.

OK. I just wrote the preface and the review. Geeeeez. Finally. Here's the link:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/e....php?show_id=8

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-17-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: a little clarification and a typo
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.