Million Dollar Question (asking for a friend)

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
I was disappointed to see how little thinking "outside the box" there was in the responses to this question.

Many people suggested using a professional financial advisor. Not only do I suspect he has thought of that already, and turned the idea down, but also time and again they have been shown to be the worst people to handle your money - taking generous bonuses when the markets are rising anyway, and still taking generous fees when their stock selections are falling.

Others insisted on jumping on the Bit Coin and derivatives bandwagon. Sure, a few have become very wealthy, but many others (including most of Venezuela) are setting themselves up for a fall.

Let's have some revolutionary ideas, people!
He has used a few different financial advisors in the past as he has owned stocks for many years. Although he researched them to some degree using Barron's advisors lists they have performed at best no better than the S&P and usually worse. He does own index funds as well as individual stocks but does not want to add to his securities portfolio in today's frothy market.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Although he researched them to some degree using Barron's advisors lists they have performed at best no better than the S&P and usually worse.
So asking a CFA/CFP to beat the market is a very difficult task, as very few can do it without some sort of informational/forecasting/trading edge. So that is one strike against your friend's expectations and past experiences.

Second, since so very few can actually do it, if his goal is capital appreciation and the S&P is his benchmark for success, the only other way to outperform that index is to market time that index. He can pay someone to perform that market timing for him from a very highly rated market timing service, but only if that is his goal. Check out Mark Hulbert's Market Timer results, and I subscribe to the top timer, and it is possible, but requires work and dedication to follow

Third, if the goal is hands off, non emotional investing, I would recommend
O'Shaughnessy Asset Management

The investment industry is huge, and some are not widely advertised on main stream media, so you have to do some "research" to find the best match for your goals. . . and that most likely means knowing how to get around search bias and SEO optimization for your ip address and cookies.

But as many have said on here, we don't know the personal goals for the money, and only he can articulate that, to be matched up with the best advisor. . .

good luck. .

finance guy
Old 09-21-2021, 12:57 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Use Vanguard, Schwab or Fidelity. Put 42% in total stock market, 18% in total international stock market, 28% in total bond market and 12% in total international bond market. Re-balance to those percentages every 6 months. Your return will average about 9% a year and your risk profile is very low. Much lower then the S&P or other suggested investments.

Your expenses will be extremely low. With Vanguard they will be less then 1/10th of 1% by using Admiral shares. It’s extremely important to re-balance to those exact percentages. Forces you to sell high and buy low.

Hey, ride,

When I see your posts about your index fund approach, I always think that when the market drops, I just might tiptoe into some index funds with a little cash I will take from the moat. But, for now, I remain the, merely adequate, manager of the BoomerFund. (The girl can't help it. It's how I'm wired. Mr. Boomer has no complaints though.)

I have interviewed a few advisors and found one in my hometown that I liked, so maybe someday I will give him a call. But, you know that thing where they get 1% annually, taken quarterly. Well, that kind of unnerves me a little because it is not 1% of any gotten gains. It's 1% of assets under management. Therefore, they get paid in any kind of market. Of course, I don't expect them to do charity work, but, for now, I feel better just taking care of business myself.

Even with our parking place at one of the bigguns, we keep total control of the investments -- which is what you are doing with your funds at Vanguard. We have not used funds since our employer retirement accounts made us (mostly) while we were still working, but that does not mean that I don't keep a few funds on my radar.

I have been at it for decades though, and I know I am a rather unusual "old lady" who has surprised the heck out of a whippersnapper or two who has tried to buy me dinner first. But I have a backup plan if I ever lose interest in doing this myself -- or if anybody close to me sees that I better not be. (So far though, I have not gone crypto, nor am I hanging out on Reddit. I learned quite well from the mistake I made as a bubble dancer in the 90s. Fortunately, I had not bet the farm -- just the butter and egg money -- but still -- UG!)

I caught on fast after my bubble-dancing days and became a firm believer in the "Buy What You Know" philosophy. For instance, one day, about 4 and 1/2 years ago, Mr. Boomer saw me on my laptop doing a little shopping. . .

"Whatcha doin'?" he asked.

"Just lookin'," said I.

"Look at Garmin," Mr. Boomer said. (And then he went into some big explanation of airplanes needing Garmin. Well, I tried to look fascinated. Pilots like to talk about airplanes and when outside they are always looking up. I am used to it. Anyway, I took his advice. I looked at Garmin. I bought. And I am glad I did. That one was a classic "Buy What You Know.")

manaboutown, this thread is fun. I can never talk like this with people who actually know me. I am from that neck of the woods where we just do not ever talk about money. Ah, the freedom Boomer, my alter-ego, has found, throughout all these years, on TOTV -- even though I still try sometimes to break up with it.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-21-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:10 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

FYI

For anyone who is following this thread and might be interested:

The Investment Education Club is having a Zoom meeting on Thursday, 9/23, at 3:00. This will be a dividend discussion.

If you want more info on this Villages club, you can google Villages Investment Education Club to find the website. Meetings are on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30. Topics of discussion vary widely, but they always send an email to let you know what's on.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-21-2021 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo -- should have been 9/23 -- caught it
Old 09-22-2021, 08:13 AM
Default Hobby of Barndollar Investments.

Barndollar Investments has done well for me. I have been with them for 6 yrs now with out a problem. Hobby will come to your house. He has many different types of investments. Do to my age I prefer monthly income from my investments.
727 834-2000 or 727 478-0263.
Shirley
Old 09-22-2021, 09:02 AM
Platinum member

A lot of un answered ?s. No mention of persons age and his current portfolio. Appears he is wealthy and looking to invest 1Mil in cash. Does the wealty part include the cash or is cash over and above the Wealthy. Stocks were at highs 3 weeks ago and have been declining past 3 weeks(600 points on 9/20).

Personally I am invested in preferred stocks which pay out 5-6% a year. My broker tells me that this enables him to sleep well at night.

Need to check his risk taking before committing.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
A lot of un answered ?s. No mention of persons age and his current portfolio. Appears he is wealthy and looking to invest 1Mil in cash. Does the wealty part include the cash or is cash over and above the Wealthy. Stocks were at highs 3 weeks ago and have been declining past 3 weeks(600 points on 9/20).

Personally I am invested in preferred stocks which pay out 5-6% a year. My broker tells me that this enables him to sleep well at night.

Need to check his risk taking before committing.
My friend and I are the same age, 79; 80 is fast approaching. He has no interest in actively trading or even managing a portfolio. While $1M is not the world to him it is not pocket change either. He wants to put it to work and not at great risk. He is a "Millionaire Next Door" kind of person. He (and I) still own and operate businesses and are reluctant to sell them. His father died at age 84 still running the same business which my friend many years ago inherited in part, buying out his siblings.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Default Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Believe it or not I am asking for a rather wealthy friend who happens to have $1M cash lying around earning him next to nothing and has no ideas on how to invest it. He and I have known each other since junior high and we brainstorm on various matters from time to time. I told him I had no idea and was sitting on a lot of cash myself (not anything like $1M).

Anyway I thought it might generate some creative thinking as I am out of ideas. Stocks and real estate seem at present extremely overvalued to me. Anybody have any possibilities they would care to share?
I flip a house from time to time. Right now I'm paying a point a month for the money. Max loan time is 6 months. I put the money up for all repairs. It's a good return on the money
Old 10-03-2021, 03:18 PM

Three investment ideas/thoughts:

1. AST Spacemobile, Inc. (stock symbol: ASTS) engages in the building global broadband cellular network in space to operate directly with standard, unmodified mobile devices based on extensive IP and patent portfolio. The company's team of engineers and space scientists are on a mission to eliminate the connectivity gaps faced by today's five billion mobile subscribers and finally bring broadband to the billions who remain unconnected. The company was founded on May 31, 2017 and is headquartered in Midland, TX.

2. Precision Medicine - an emerging approach for disease treatment and prevention that takes into account individual variability in genes, environment, and lifestyle for each person.

3. Infrastructure - basic physical systems of a business, region, or nation. Examples of infrastructure include transportation systems, communication networks, sewage, water, and electric systems. These systems tend to be capital intensive and high-cost investments, and are vital to a country's economic development and prosperity.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Default No Change

I doubt that there has been any significant change in the past 10 years.
3145964e-9010-4ab2-bfae-43bba08c1429-jpg
Closed Thread

Tags
ideas, cash, $1m, time, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.