Move your money from Fidelity to Vanguard
Home
Menu

Move your money from Fidelity to Vanguard

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
After 15 years of paying advisors their one percent annual fee I've decided it's time to move my IRA to Vanguard. A year ago I created several model portfolios. One based on my current professionally managed IRA. This portfolio consists of 28 different funds and etfs.
Another based on a portfolio designed on the Vanguard website consisting of four funds. Plus two others. Bottom line the four fund Vanguard folio matches in performance the professionally managed fund , without the one percent fee.
That one percent fee is significant. If you take out four percent a year, the one percent fee equals 20% of the $$$ coming out of your account. Of course with Vanguard you don't get the free cup of coffee that is offered when you meet with your advisor.
I would be very interested in leaning more about the "Vanguard four" including percentages and the "two other" funds. Please share your success with us. Jimmie

Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 AM

Also, please look at paulmerriman-dot-com who offers FREE info as well as a recommendation for model portfolios at Vanguard, T Rowe Price and Fidelity. Also, several free eBooks titled "Get Smart or Get Screwed", "First-Time Investor", and "101 Investment Decisions".

He is a retired investment advisor and now offers free help to others.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 06:21 AM
Gold member

Financial planning and investing are too important to trust to an "advisor". This is a do it yourself project. Advisors always have a conflict of interest. And, for the do it yourselfer, Vanguard is the best company to do your investing with because of their low costs.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 AM

I've been with Vanguard and Fidelity for many years. Last year about 47K was stolen from a IRA I had with Vanguard. Took many many months to get the money back. I also learned that Vanguard doesn't necessarily get your money back. Fidelity has a different policy regarding stolen money. Just saying.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark47 View Post
I've been with Vanguard and Fidelity for many years. Last year about 47K was stolen from a IRA I had with Vanguard. Took many many months to get the money back. I also learned that Vanguard doesn't necessarily get your money back. Fidelity has a different policy regarding stolen money. Just saying.

How does money get stolen from an IRA ???
Old 10-24-2016, 07:51 AM
Gold member

I read both the Vanguard and Fidelity policies regarding stolen money. They look very similar to me. Both companies will reimburse your money if it is lost or stolen through no fault of the customer. Both companies require that you are not negligent with the account. If Fidelity is better than Vanguard, I would like to know how.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 AM

Someone hacked my account. I reported the day after it happened, they traced the money to a fake account in another bank. It was pretty obvious to me that it wasn't me "stealing' my own money. Took months to get the money back and lots of paperwork. I'm told there is no guarantee with Vanguard, its a case by case basis. Fidelity has some kind of insurance for theft. Still have accounts at both but at Vanguard any money coming out has to be a check, not electronic.
Good question
Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
How does money get stolen from an IRA ???
I would like to know too. Oops I now see you did answer.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Soaring Parsley

Last edited by Boomer; 10-27-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:08 AM

If Fidelity is so awful why are they still in business? If you don't trade much, don't pay Fidelity to manage your money and invest in a low cost ETF/mutual fund there is not a lot of additional expense in working with Fidelity instead of Vanguard. Just knowing that you can go to the Fidelity office and grab a broker by the tie if you have a problem is worth something. I've worked with both Fidelity and Vanguard over the years and there are things I like and dislike about both of them.
Closed Thread

Tags
fidelity, vanguard, expense, lifestrategy, money