Need some advice....

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Need some advice....

Thanks to our Congress (not trying to be political - I think they are all to blame).... I did not want to risk them reaching no debt crisis compromise, so pulled out of equities entirely. Worked great for other market reasons!!!

Going to wait out the volitility of the market, but I need some ideas of where to park the cash and get a decent ROI. I nibbled back with some HPI but my old standbys of NLY, EEP, KMP, VZ, T scare me in this market.

Any advice for this skittish investor???

Thanks in advance ....
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

I happen to own all the stocks you list except EEP.

If you cannot accept risk buy an annuity that has certain guarantees. You have to be very careful... I would think CDs just will not give you the return you would want, or even a 30 year T bond....

Every time I have tried time the Market I've been wrong except in FEb/Mar 2009. I sold bond funds and bought stock like GE for about $8....

Yeah I've lost now and maybe I'll have to work an extra 6 months or year but over the remaining lives we will have we should be OK. JMHO.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Right now I have moved into dividend stocks that give a 3-5% yield. I like stocks like J&J, Kraft, JP Morgan, Abbott Labs, ADP, Wal-Mart, Visa and a few others. Solid companies that have been around a long time and provide a decent yield. They have been less volatile during these wild swings. I buy them when they do a pull back. For a little more risk with a higher upside and a smaller yield, I like Cisco and Bank of America. They are both way down and have a decent balance sheet. With this type investments I have a lot less of a swing in the daily ups and downs, but also less growth potential. I will wait out the market in these type stocks who will do well. Just not great.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default bump

bump

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.