Non-investment Financial Adviser Advice

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Sage
Default Non-investment Financial Adviser Advice

I'm comfortable managing our modest nest egg. But I'd like to get some general advice on a strictly pay-per-services basis...no fund investments involved at all. Just pay somebody an hourly fee (or something similar) for their advice regarding other financial things.

For example, possible house purchase...how to handle purchase of a home before selling existing home. Financial wisdom...or lack thereof...of doing so. How to best handle the whole process...cash-flow issues, etc. What are the long-term implications of such an endeavor.

This is just one example of the sort of advice I'm looking for. Again, I'm not looking for advice related to or management of our money. I'm just looking for general advice and the answer to some questions.

You folks have any recommendations? (Or warnings? Heh.)

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Platinum member

A local CPA may be willing to assist you.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:46 PM

I Second that .. Get a Good CPA. He will be able to assist you
Old 11-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

As a CPA, I would be more specific than the prior two recommendations.

I would get a Tax Practicing CPA............Minimum of 10 years experience.

Most CPA's (in larger firms) are doing audits of financial statements and are not advising individuals. Their experience is with companies.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Platinum member

Personally, I would look for a CFP (Certified Financial Planner) – these people deal with individuals rather than companies and have training in:

• General Principles of Finance and Financial Planning
• Insurance Planning
• Employee Benefits Planning
• Investment and Securities Planning
• State and Federal Income Tax Planning
• Estate Tax, Gift Tax, and Transfer Tax Planning
• Asset Protection Planning
• Retirement Planning
• Estate Planning
• Financial planning and consulting

If you go to the CFP Board’s website at cfp dot net there is a "Find a CFP" search option on the upper right side of the page. I put in 32162 and came up with several local professionals. The listings provide names, background, compensation method, (some do require a minimum investment to manage, but others do not) disciplinary actions etc. I would call some of them and tell them what kind of help you need. If they can't help you I bet they would be able to refer you to other professionals you can. This is a good resource site.

Last edited by BK001; 11-09-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Gold member

A great and FREE tool is morningstar fund x-ray. You punch in the funds, stocks that you hold and it will show you percentage that you have domestic, foreign, small cap large cap etc. With this tool you can put your holdings in as percentage of the total rather than dollars.

No matter what you decide, it is a GUESS. No one can tell you exactly how long you will live, the rate of inflation till you die, stock market returns, bond market returns, cd returns AND AS I'VE BECOME MORE AWARE OF GOVERNMENT RISK. The simple answer was spend 4% per year of what you have saved
and you will be ok. The simple rule was later cut to 3%. THE TRUE ANSWER IS IT IS ALL AN EDUCATED GUESS.

The FED says they want 2% inflation. Yet, medical costs are rising far more than that. I think they are TELLING US-this week- that inflation is 1.5%. Ten year treasuries pay you 1.5% AND YOU PAY FEDERAL INCOME TAX ON THEM. Oh and even at 2% inflation your money will buy 25% less 18 years from now.

READ-GO TO LECTURES-AND SIGN NOTHING UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND NO ONLY WHAT THEY ARE TELLING YOU BUT WHAT THEY ARE NOT TELLING YOU.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Sage
Default Non-investment Financial Adviser Advice

Again...NOT looking for investment advice. Just a few questions regarding topics in my OP and related matters.

CFP sounds pretty good. Keep ideas coming.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

Consider contacting Alisa Mitchell, CPA.; office in Lady Lake I believe she also has a law background, so she should be able to address your areas of concern. 352-572-9388
Old 11-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Again...NOT looking for investment advice. Just a few questions regarding topics in my OP and related matters.

CFP sounds pretty good. Keep ideas coming.
If you own your home you can take out a home equity loan to buy your new home. When you sell your present home you pay off the loan. This is cheaper than a bridge loan. I hope this helps. Len
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
If you own your home you can take out a home equity loan to buy your new home. When you sell your present home you pay off the loan. This is cheaper than a bridge loan. I hope this helps. Len
I thought a bridge loan usually was a home equity loan. No?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 AM
Platinum member

No -- there are differences. Very good, clear article on both at this site:

What Are Bridge Loans and How Do They Work?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I took out a bridge loan with citizens May 2006 in the event that my home didn't sell quickly . He sold immediately and never needed to use it and yet citizens charged me one full monthly payment. That still sticks in my crawl
Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are several investment clubs in the Villages. They are listed in the paper each week. One club is a discussion group on just such topics. There are some smart people there. I went to one meeting and found it interesting. Might try that first. You would probably get some of your questions answered and guidance on the best place to get answers on others.

I am fairly savvy on most financial matters and would be glad to have a one on one discussion with you if that would help you.

Tags
advice, financial, handle, home, general

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.