Opinions on Consolidating Finances

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Default Opinions on Consolidating Finances

I have some of our retirement 401k and 403b rollovers in Fidelity, Vanguard and Oppenheimer. To make things easier, I would like to consolidate and put all of our funds into one company.

We were told that even in the unlikely event that one of these firms went belly up we would not be hurt since we are not invested in these companies but in the underlying stocks, bonds and funds.

But I’d like other opinions, from a risk point of view, is there any reason why I should not do this?

Signed:

Gun Shy ever since “Bernie Madoff with the money”
Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I have accounts with Fidelity, T. Rowe and Vanguard...and prefer Vanguard overall.

While some people don't believe anything Consumer Reports reviews/publishes, I have personally found them to be very beneficial.

For those who are interested, here is a recent (Oct 2018) survey by CR...of various Investment Companies.

Consumer Reports Investment Company Buying Guide
Old 12-14-2018, 10:19 AM

It surely will makes things much easier for your heirs, beneficiaries, trustees, proxies, etc. and the executer of your estate. I can not think of any reason not to do this and six more as to why it seems like a good idea. It makes a lot of sense to remain diversified from the standpoint of financial investments, but not necessarily the organization you direct to administer them, particularly the firms you named which are about as rock solid as they come.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM
Sage

You may have to be a member of CR to see the entire list, so for those who aren't members...here's a pic of their top ratings.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Investment Ratings.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	77784  
Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

SIPC (if the broker is a member), protects up to $500k per customer......all customer accounts per broker.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I split mine among three. I just sleep better at night if all my eggs are not in one basket. Having seen some major financial institutions fold over the years I do not believe that any account is 100% secure.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

From the stand point of being properly diversified it would be difficult using 3 independent brokers unless they were talking to each other (highly unlikely), so I would vote for a single common broker. Also, pay attention if you decide to go with a single broker, as there may be opportunities to limit taxes or change investments to save future taxes.
Hope this helps, good luck with your project.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I have mutual funds with both Vanguard and Fidelity. I prefer Vanguard, but my Fidelity funds would create a huge tax liability if were to sell them and move the funds to Vanguard. So, I just keep them there. But, I would have no problem having all of my investments with Vanguard, and would prefer it that way, if I could avoid the taxes.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I split mine among three. I just sleep better at night if all my eggs are not in one basket. Having seen some major financial institutions fold over the years I do not believe that any account is 100% secure.
We're also split among three. Wife's retirement at one. My retirement at another then our personal portfolio at a third. Wasn't really by design just happened that way.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:56 PM

We just got finished with the process. We put everything into Vanguard because it seems they have the lowest fees of any of the big players. I think we moved from like 6 companies to just Vanguard. Patience is important, because none of it moves fast. The nice thing is you can always get someone on the phone, and they stay open after 5 pm. I still have some in the wind that hasn't completely cleared through all the regs. Hopefully we can get through this tax season, and things will simplify. If you want any contact information for VG. let me know.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
SIPC (if the broker is a member), protects up to $500k per customer......all customer accounts per broker.
Thank you for your response but I'm a little confused. Say I have positions in several individual stocks and a couple of mutual funds, that are in my Fidelity or Vanguard accounts, where/when does insurance become an issue?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I have accounts with Fidelity, T. Rowe and Vanguard...and prefer Vanguard overall.

While some people don't believe anything Consumer Reports reviews/publishes, I have personally found them to be very beneficial.

For those who are interested, here is a recent (Oct 2018) survey by CR...of various Investment Companies.

Consumer Reports Investment Company Buying Guide
Thank you for your response. Can you tell me why you prefer Vanguard over Fidelity and T. Rowe Price? Just wondering what your tipping point was.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have mutual funds with both Vanguard and Fidelity. I prefer Vanguard, but my Fidelity funds would create a huge tax liability if were to sell them and move the funds to Vanguard. So, I just keep them there. But, I would have no problem having all of my investments with Vanguard, and would prefer it that way, if I could avoid the taxes.
Hi, thanks for your response as well. You are another who prefers Vanguard over Fidelity. Can you tell me what your reason is for that preference?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hi, thanks for your response as well. You are another who prefers Vanguard over Fidelity. Can you tell me what your reason is for that preference?
Typically, Vanguard has the lowest expense ratio in the industry for almost all of their mutual funds. Fidelity is a good company, but they have never been able to compete with Vanguard on the cost of their mutual funds, and other services.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Thank you for your response. Can you tell me why you prefer Vanguard over Fidelity and T. Rowe Price? Just wondering what your tipping point was.
Lower fees/loads.

Vanguard
Quote:

Fees Matter

Vanguard's founder, John Bogle, was among the first industry leaders to make a direct link between investment expenses and investment performance. Numerous studies have shown that higher management fees definitely impede long-term investment performance. Vanguard has always offered no-load funds with some of the lowest expense ratios in the market. If you qualify for its Admiral class of funds (requiring a minimum $10,000 investment), the expense ratios are reduced even further.

Vanguard's leading position as a low-cost fund provider is secured by its ownership structure. Unlike most fund companies, which are owned by third-party companies or stockholders, Vanguard is owned by the mutual funds themselves, so all profits are invested in keeping costs down for its mutual fund shareholders.
Closed Thread

Tags
funds, opinions, bonds, “bernie, i’d

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.