Looking for a good accountant

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Looking for a good accountant

We are in need of the services of a good accountant who is familiar with Canadians who rent out their place. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we have no knowledge of Florida and IRS regulations and need some guidance.
Thanks.

LW888
Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Default I'm not an Accountant but ...

Go into www.irs.gov and start at PUB 17. See page 66. That should give you a good start off point when the accountant asks questions.

Figuring depreciation is tough. A tax accountant is the right way to go. If the income is for 2010 the best the accountant will do for you right now is to file an extension.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
We are in need of the services of a good accountant who is familiar with Canadians who rent out their place. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we have no knowledge of Florida and IRS regulations and need some guidance.
Thanks. LW888
Since you own property in TV, I'm sure that you're aware of the 8840 IRS Form which needs to be completed by Resident Aliens (Canadians). The IRS Form is designed to ascertain whether you have a Closer Connection to Canada or the US for taxation purposes. The form asks many questions, i.e., do you have a US Drivers License, where do you vote, financial transactions in the US, etc.

If you cannot qualify for a Closer Connection to Canada, it is my understanding that there may be serious tax implications in the US ... i.e., double taxation. One of the reasons that we don't rent out our house when we're not in TV, is that we don't want to run afoul of the IRS.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.